List of sister cities in Maryland
This is a list of sister states, regions, and cities in the U.S. state of Maryland. Sister cities, known in Europe as town twins, are cities which partner with each other to promote human contact and cultural links, although this partnering is not limited to cities and often includes counties, regions, states and other sub-national entities.
Many Maryland jurisdictions partner with foreign cities through Sister Cities International, an organization whose goal is to, "Promote peace through mutual respect, understanding, and cooperation." The first sister city relationship in Maryland, however, was between Salisbury, Maryland and Salisbury, England, and predated Sister Cities International. Sister cities interact with each other across a broad range of activities, from health care and education to business and the arts. The partnerships in this list vary in how formalized their relationships are. Recently, a number of Maryland cities have partnered with cities in Estonia through a program developed by the Maryland National Guard after Estonia gained its independence from the Soviet Union.
Sister states, regions and cities of Maryland
|Maryland Jurisdiction||Sister State, Region, or City||Country||Since|
|State of Maryland||Anhui Province||China||1980|
|Gyeongsangnam-do Province||South Korea||1991|
|Nord-Pas de Calais||France||1981|
|State of Rio de Janeiro||Brazil||1999|
Sister cities of Maryland cities and counties
- "Mission and Goals". Sister Cities International. Retrieved 2007-06-26.
- "Frequently Asked Questions". Sister Cities International. Retrieved 2007-06-26.
- Teel, Mark. "Maryland-Estonia State Partnership Program". Estonian Advantage. American Chamber of Commerce in Estonia. Retrieved 2007-07-09.[dead link]
- "Maryland Sister State Program". Office of the Secretary of State of Maryland. Archived from the original on 2008-07-30. Retrieved 2008-12-19.
- Verbrugghe, Ginette (2002-06-21). "RAPPORT SUR LA POLITIQUE DE COOPERATION AU DEVELOPPEMENT ET DE SOLIDARITE INTERNATIONALE" (PDF). Région Nord-Pas de Calais. Archived from the original on 2007-10-20. Retrieved 2007-09-23.
- "Maryland will not sever 'Sister City' status with St. Petersburg over anti-LGBT law". Metro Weekly (Washington, D.C.). 9 August 2013. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- Kaley, Kevin (April 19, 1999). "Closer ties with sister cities?". Capital-Gazette Communications, Inc. The Capital (Annapolis, MD.).
- "Annapolis Tartan Day". City of Annapolis, MD. April 3, 2007. Retrieved 2007-06-27.
- "Mayor's Office of International Affairs". City of Baltimore. Retrieved 2008-10-23.[dead link]
- "Charles County Commissioners Meeting Agenda". Southern Maryland Online. January 2012. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- "International Student Exchange - Sister Cities Program". The Columbia Association. Archived from the original on 2007-10-09. Retrieved 2007-07-07.
- "Mayor and City Council Year 2000 Minutes". City of Cumberland, MD. July 11, 2000. Retrieved 2007-07-07.[dead link]
- McGill, Natalie (24 April 2008). "District Heights, Congo city form relationship". The Gazette (Gaithersburg, Md.). Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- Mullen, Katharine (November 16, 2006). "City of Frederick gains a new sister city at ceremony tonight". The Gazette. Retrieved 2007-06-26.
- "August 3, 2003 City Council Minutes". City of Frederick, MD. August 3, 2003. Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-07-07.
- "Augustoberfest". City of Hagerstown, MD. Retrieved 2007-07-07.
- "Montgomery County & El Salvador Sister City Agreement". Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- "Council Meeting Minutes". Town of Ocean City, Maryland. October 4, 2004. Retrieved 2007-07-07.
- "Council Meeting Minutes". Town of Ocean City, Maryland. OctoNovember 12, 2003. Retrieved 2007-06-28.
- "Rishon LeZion - One of a Large Family of "Twinned" Cities". Rishon LeZion. Archived from the original on 2007-06-24. Retrieved 2007-06-28.
- Pierre, Robert (March 5, 1998). "Pr. George's Receives Royalty in Sisterly Relationship; County and Nation in South Africa Establish Ties". The Washington Post.
- "County Executive Returns From Successful Business Development and Goodwill Mission in Senegal". Prince George's County. March 28, 2005. Retrieved 2007-06-27.
- McGill, Natalie (23 April 2009). "Riverdale Park and Ipala celebrate sister city partnership". The Gazette (Gaithersburg, Md.). Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- "Rockville to welcome another Sister City: Jiaxing, China". gazette.net. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- "Welcome". Rockville Sister City Corporation. Retrieved 2007-07-07.
- "Delegation from Salisbury, England Visits SU". Salisbury University. September 27, 2006. Retrieved 2007-07-07.
- "City Council Minutes". City of Salisbury, Maryland. May 24, 1999. Retrieved 2007-07-07.
- "Westminster Maryland-Paide, Estonia Partner City Program". City of Westminster, Maryland. January 15, 2004. Archived from the original on 2007-07-02. Retrieved 2007-07-07.