List of smart TV platforms and middleware software
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Main article: Smart TV
- 1 Middleware providers for TV sets and companion boxes available under OEM license to multiple third parties
- 2 Vendor specific smart TV platforms
- 3 Platforms offered by manufacturer
- 4 See also
- 5 References
Middleware providers for TV sets and companion boxes available under OEM license to multiple third parties
Framework platforms managed by standardization bodies or technology consortium
- HbbTV, by the HbbTV consortium
- CE-HTML (as part of Web4CE), by CEA (Consumer Electronics Association)
- OIPF, by Open IPTV Forum
- Tru2way, by CableLabs
- Ginga (SBTVD Middleware) (Brazilian Digital TV System)
Framework platforms managed by single companies or foundations
- Android TV, the latest Android based Smart TV platform by Google.
- Amazon Fire TV is an Fire OS based Smart TV platform by Amazon.com.
- Boxee (popular fork of the Kodi/XBMC media center software with custom GUI and some proprietary application framework for apps)
- ExperienceManager is an HTML5 cloud based platform by UIEvolution.com.
- Frog by Wyplay
- Google TV (Android based platform by Google, Intel, Sony, and Logitech)—its development stopped in 2013 and it is replaced by Chromecast and Android TV.
- Horizon TV (by Liberty Global, also known as "UPC" in Europe) a cross-platform platform based fork of the Kodi/XBMC media center software with proprietary middle-ware framework for video on demand and handling DRM for streaming cable television channels.
- Inview Technology Ltd's ‘Inview Inside’ software which connects an ordinary TV (or set-top box) to get IPTV.
- MeeGo for smart TV (now spitted into Tizen, Mer, and Sailfish OS) (Linux Foundation, Intel, AMD) currently based on a derivative fork of Kodi/XBMC media center software
- Mediaroom (former Microsoft, Acquired by Ericsson in Sept 2013)
- OpenTV (by Nagravision, also known as NAGRA, a company of the Kudelski Group)
- ToFu Media Platform (cross-platform fork of Kodi/XBMC media center licensed to third parties and other commercial partners as OEM)
- Ubuntu TV, Unity user interface and Ubuntu operating system based platform by Canonical.
- Yahoo! Connected TV, formerly Yahoo! GoTV (by Yahoo!)
- Kodi Entertainment Center (formerly XBMC Media Center), by the XBMC Foundation and its open source cross-platform media center and DVR/PVR frontend software.
- Plex, closed source cross-platform media center with proprietary streaming functionality to numerous devices, (initially started out as a popular fork of the Kodi/XBMC media center software.
- Zappiti Media Center, cross-platform media center with local/streaming functionality to numerous devices such as computers, Android/iOS, Media Players.
Vendor specific smart TV platforms
- Samsung Smart TV
- LG webOS smart TV. Old system: NetCast, "SMART TV" branded NetCast Entertainment Access devices by LG Electronics
- Panasonic Firefox OS. Old systems: Viera Cast and Viera Connect
- Apple TV Media Receiver
- Toshiba Places by Toshiba
- Roku (also the name of the company who makes the device)
- PlayStation Vita TV (by Sony)
- Xbox 360 (by Microsoft), while primarily a game console, it features many typical smart TV features.
- Sony Entertainment Network (sometimes also referred to as "Sony Internet TV")
- Chromecast by Google
- Slingbox by Sling Media
Platforms offered by manufacturer
|Manufacturer||Current Platforms||Previous Platforms||Planned Platforms|
|Phillips||Net TV||Android TV|
|Samsung||Samsung Smart TV||Orsay||Tizen|
|Sony||Sony Apps||Android TV|
|Toshiba||Toshiba Smart TV||Toshiba Places|
Vizio Internet Apps Plus
|Western Digital||WD TV|
- Smart TV
- Digital media player
- Home theater PC
- Comparison of set-top boxes
- Comparison of Net-Connected Media Players
- List of Net Connected Media Players
- http://www.ginga.org.br/ Ginga TV Interativa
- September 15, 2011 (September 15, 2011). "IBC 2011: Smart TV Q&A with iomega’s Olivier D’Eternod". Scoop.intel.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Boxee See Internet TV Moving Away From The Computer To Mobile And Connected TV". Worldtvpc.com. December 29, 2011. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Google TV 2.0 gains Honeycomb, Android Market". Archived from the original on 2012-09-05.
- "Googletv issue tracker".
- Smith, Tony (23 January 2012). "Acetrax joins Inview VoD squad". Retrieved 8 March 2012.
- "Acetrax to launch online movie service with Inview platform". DigitalTV.net. undated (2011). Retrieved 08/03/2012. Check date values in:
- https://meego.com/devices/smart-tv MeeGo for Smart TV
- "AMD to contribute to MeeGo development". The H open. November 15, 2010. Retrieved January 27, 2011.
- "MeeGo Smart TV for Trimslice". Wiki.meego.com. September 21, 2011. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "XBMC + MeeGo hardfp on trimslice – nvidia tegra2 (MeeGo TV)". Madeo.co.uk. August 1, 2011. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "XBMC + MeeGo hardfp on trimslice – nvidia tegra2 (MeeGo TV)". Youtube. August 1, 2011. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- https://build.pub.meego.com/package/show?package=xbmc-gles&project=home%3Aarfoll%3Axbmc-testing xbmc-gles
- "Microsoft Mediaroom: IPTV gets a makeover". Engadget.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Microsoft unveils all new time shifting, interactive features for Mediaroom IPTV". Engadget.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "New Mediaroom clients to bring Microsoft's TV platform everywhere this year". Engadget.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Canonical outs Ubuntu TV: Brave or stupid?". Extremetech.com. January 9, 2012. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- Schofield, Jack (January 9, 2012). "CES 2012: free Ubuntu TV has service and revenue fees". Zdnet.co.uk. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Unity-based Ubuntu TV takes on Google TV". Archived from the original on 2012-09-06.
- http://connectedtv.yahoo.com/ Yahoo! Connected TV
-  Samsung 2011 CES Wrap-up: Products for a Smarter Life
- "The Wonder of Samsung Smart TVs". Samsung.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- http://www.samsungsmarttvchallenge.eu Samsung Smart TV Challenge
- "LG MAKES SMART TV SIMPLE WITH NEW WEBOS SMART TV PLATFORM". http://www.lgnewsroom.com. Retrieved January 7, 2014.
- "Smart TV". Lg.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "LG Smart TV – Access the World of Entertainment using the LG Smart TV". Lg.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "LG Smart TV – Easily Connect, Stream and Share with the new LG Smart TV". Lg.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Smart TV". Lg.com/au. Retrieved June 17, 2012.
- Contact Kat Hannaford: Email the author Comment (September 1, 2010). "Internet-Connected TV Apps System Renamed to "Smart TV" by LG". Gizmodo.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Toshiba Places". Toshiba.eu. Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- "Roku media player shrinks again – to an HDMI dongle". Archived from the original on 2012-09-06.
- Breaking down the PS Vita TV: Why Sony's $100 set-top box is more than a consolation prize
- "Sony Entertainment Network".