List of social nudity places in Africa
|This article is missing information about all African countries except South Africa. (October 2014)|
This is a list of social nudity places in Africa. The list includes nude beaches and naturist resorts, where people practise skinny dipping, naked bodysurfing or any other form of nude recreation.
There are no beaches in South Africa where the right to bathe nude is protected. However, Sandy Bay and the Umhlanga Lagoon and Mpenjati beach are beaches where nudity is accepted and bathers are very unlikely to be prosecuted for simply being naked. Mpenjati beach has been approved as a naturist beach by the local town council in charge of the area. The situation at the other beaches is less certain. Nudist beaches are by nature remote and secluded and it is unfortunate that in South Africa this makes them unsafe as criminals find them ideal for their purposes too. Nudists are advised to try to keep in big groups, singles and couples should exercise a great deal of caution if visiting the lesser known nudist beaches.
- Secrets Beach Port Elizabeth in
- Lighthouse Beach, Great Fish River Port Alfred and East London between
- Umhlanga Lagoon north of Durban, is an unofficial nude beach.
- Mpenjati Nature Reserve near Trafalgar and 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) north of Port Edward is a beautiful wild-life reserve administered by Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife which has a popular nudist beach. Application was made to the Hibiscus Coast Local Municipality to approve its use as an official nudist beach. On 28 October 2014, at their monthly council meeting the Hibiscus Coast Local Municipality approved beach as an official naturist beach.
North West Province
- Harmony Nature Farm is nestled on the cliffs of the Magaliesburg mountains
- Kiepersolkloof is a private nature reserve near Rustenburg
- Voëlkop at the Wayback Machine (archived July 20, 2013) is a men-only gay nude resort in Makolokwe between Pretoria and Rustenburg.
- Vyedam Naturist Resort is in the Hekpoort valley surrounded by the Magaliesburg and Wittewater mountains.
- Steven Bartlo (2005). "Taking the scenic route". Mail & Guardian. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- Elhaam Ajam (2010). "Get glowing at SA's nudie beaches". gotravel24. 24.com. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- Zongile Mthimkhulu (28 October 2014). "Naturists get KZN nudist beach". ECR.co.za. Retrieved 2014-10-28.
- Precious Jili (28 October 2014). "Update: Green light for nudist beach". South Coast Herald. Retrieved 2014-10-28.
- Bronwyn Fourie (29 October 2014). "KZN nudist beach gets green light". Independent Online. Retrieved 2014-10-29.
- Harrison, Philip (2004). Ecotravel. New Africa Books. pp. 86–. ISBN 978-0-86486-566-3.
- Ndou, Clive (18 February 2014). "Nudist beach gets first green light". The Citizen (Johannesburg: The Citizen). Retrieved 2014-05-23.
- Bronwyn Fourie (23 September 2014). "Nudist beach plan causes uproar". Independent Online. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- Bronwyn Fourie (1 October 2014). "Naturists left hanging over beach issue". Independent Online. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- Bronwynn Fourie (30 September 2014). "Council to decide on KZN nudist beach". Independent Online. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- "Hibiscus Coast municipality will hear nudist beach application next week |". The New Age Online. 25 September 2014. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- JayWay. "Mpenjati Overview". Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife. Retrieved 2014-10-22.