List of sovereign states in 1143
|This article or section possibly contains previously unpublished synthesis of published material that conveys ideas not attributable to the original sources. (April 2011)|
The notion of a sovereign state arises in the 16th century with the development of modern diplomacy. For earlier times, the term "sovereign state" is an anachronism. What corresponded to sovereign states in the medieval and ancient period were monarchs ruling By the Grace of God, de facto feudal or imperial autocrats, or de facto independent nations or tribal confederations.
- Bohemia – Duchy of Bohemia
- Kingdom of Arles (Arelat) – Duchy of Burgundy.
- Byzantine Empire – Byzantine Empire
- China - Southern Song Dynasty
- Denmark – Kingdom of Denmark
- Ethiopia – Ethiopian Empire
- France – Kingdom of France
- Holy Roman Empire, a highly complex political entity consisting of, but not limited to:
- Hungary – Kingdom of Hungary
- Icelandic Commonwealth – Icelandic Free State
- Korea – Kingdom of Goryeo
- León – Kingdom of León
- Montferrat – March of Montferrat. Originally a county, it was raised to become the Duchy of Montferrat in 1574.
- Morocco – Emirate of Morocco, ruled by the Almoravid dynasty.
- Norway – Kingdom of Norway
- Zhupanie Raška – Principality of Raška (Serbia)
- But not the modern territory of Burgundy, which had been annexed by France in 1477