List of steam fairs
A steam fair or (steam rally) is a regular organised gathering of historic steam-powered vehicles and machinery, open to the public. Typical exhibits include: traction engines, steam rollers, steam wagons, and steam cars. Often, the scope is widened to include other historic exhibits such as stationary engines, internal-combustion -powered road transport, agricultural and construction vehicles, working horses, woodcraft and the like.
A typical steam fair consists of:
- A parade ring or track in which vehicles may be demonstrated
- Trade and craft stalls related to the exhibits
- Areas where vehicles may be examined more closely and the public may talk to owners and operators
- Entertainment areas (often, a beer tent) with food, drink, and evening music
- A fairground area may also be included in the event
The following is a geographic list of these gatherings, some of which are referred to as rallies or as festivals. The list does not include static steam museums unless they host a particular event that falls into the classification.
In addition there are some travelling shows powered by steam. Where these are referred to as steam fairs they are included in the list.
- Scoresby Steamfest
- Lake Goldsmith steam rally (Twice yearly)
- Innishannon Steam and Vintage Rally – (1998- )
- Stradbally - Irish National Steam Rally – (1965- )
- Upton Steam Rally – ( -1997)
- Dordt in Stoom, Dordrecht - (1985- ) bi-annual large event in and around the historic harbour district with steam powered ships, trains, river boats and other engines.
- Wolsztyn – (1993- ) annual steam locomotive parade held the last weekend of April near a historic roundhouse
- Chabówka – (2005- ) "Parowozjada" - steam locomotive parade held the last weekend of August in a railway museum near the railway station
- 1000 Engine Rally, Chelford, Cheshire, staged in June (1985 - )
- Abbey Hill Steam Rally Yeovil, Somerset (1980 -) (Next Rally May Day Bank Holiday Weekend - Friday 2 - 5 May 2014)
- Astle Park Traction Engine Rally, Chelford, Cheshire, staged in August 
- Barton Gate Charity Steam Rally - (1995- )
- Burtonwood airfield, Lancashire (1970s—1980s)
- Cadeby Steam & Country Fayre – 44 years (1964-2008) 
- Castle Combe, Wiltshire, held in May
- Cambridgeshire Steam Rally, Swavesey – (2009- )
- Cromford Steam Rally 38 years (as of 2008))
- Great Dorset Steam Fair – (1968- )
- Grand Henham Steam Rally - (1974- )
- Haddenham Steam Rally and Heavy Horse Show - (1974- ) 
- Holcot Steam Rally & Country Fair 11th year (2008)
- Hollowell Steam Rally and Heavy Horse Show – (1986- )
- Kettering Vintage Rally & Steam Fayre - (2000- )
- Knowl Hill Steam Rally – ( -2004)
- Lincolnshire Steam and Vintage Rally 23rd year (2008) 
- Market Bosworth Steam Rally
- Netley Marsh Steam and Craft Fair - (1971- )
- Mosterton Summer Show (Latest Rally - 2nd & 3rd July 2011)
- Portland Steam and Vintage Show – (2004- )
- Ringmer Steam & Country Show – (2003- ) Ringmer, East Sussex
- Rudgwick Steam & Country Show – (1987- ) Rudgwick, West Sussex
- Rushmoor Steam Rally – ( - c1991) Rushmoor Arena, Aldershot, Hampshire
- Somerset Steam Spectacular - 52nd year. mid july (2011)
- Tavistock Steam Fair
- Torbay Steam Fair – (1987- )
- Wiston Steam Rally – (2011- ) West Sussex
- Carter's Steam Fair – (1976- )
- Antique Gas & Steam Engine Museum - bi-annual show in Vista, California
- Antique Powerland, Brooks Oregon. Annual Steam-Up
- Antique Power and Steam Show - Large annual show taking place in the Lake County Fairgrounds in Indiana.
- Badger Steam and Gas Show - Annual show hosted by Badger Steam and Gas Engine Club near Baraboo, WI
- The Buckley Old Engine Show in Buckley Michigan
- K&O Steam and Gas Engine Show, Windfield Kansas.
- Central North Dakota Steam Thresher's Reunion – (1958- )
- Great Steamboat Race - (1963- ) annual round trip race from Louisville, Kentucky to Jeffersonville, Indiana and back between steamboats on the Ohio River
- Old Thresher's Reunion - (1960- ) Labor Day weekend, Mount Pleasant, Iowa.
- National Threshers Association (1944- ) annual reunion/show held in Wauseon, Ohio, last full weekend of June
- Pageant of Steam - (1960- ) annual fair held in Canandaigua, New York
- Pawnee Steam and Gas Engine Show - held first full weekend in May in Pawnee, OK
- Pioneer Engineers Club of Rushville, IN - yearly show in Rushville, IN
- Rock River Thresheree Edgerton, Wisconsin – (1955- ) 
- Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association Kinzers, Pennsylvania
- Soule’ Live Steam Festival and Railfest annual event held the first weekend in November in Meridian, MS.
- Steamstock: An Antiquarian Exposition in Point Richmond, CA is an annual event held in July in a former Ford motor factory, next to the Rosie the Riveter Museum.
- Tall Stacks - held every 3 or 4 years in Cincinnati, Ohio since 1988; is a fair for steam powered riverboats.
- Western Minnesota Steam Thresher's Reunion (WMSTR) Rollag, Minnesota
- Cama Powerup Spring and Fall Kent, CT 
- Missouri River Valley Steam Engine Association Back to the Farm Reunion Boonevill, MO 
- Riverbend Steam and Gas Association Allendale, MI 
- "Steam-Era". Ontario Steam & Antique Preservers Association. Retrieved 2008-11-03.
- "National Steam Rally back on track". Irish Steam Preservation Society. Retrieved 2008-11-03.[dead link]
- Dordt in Stoom
- "1000 Engine Rally Homepage".
- "Astle Park Traction Engine Rally".[dead link]
- "Barton Gate Charity Steam Rally". Retrieved 15 June 2010.
- "Cadeby Steam Rally at Mallory Park". Mallory Park. Retrieved 2008-11-03.[dead link]
- Cadeby Steam & Country Fayre
- Cromford steam Rally
- Haddenham Steam Rally
- Old Glory Events Guide pt2, 2008
- Hollowell Steam Rally
- Kettering Vintage rally
- Old Glory Events guide, 2008
- "Netley Marsh Steam and Craft Show, near Southampton, Hants". Netleymarshsteamandcraftshow.org. 2013-09-17. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- "Portland Steam and Vintage Show". Retrieved 2008-11-03.
- Ringmer Steam & Country Show
- Rudgwick Steam & Country Show
- "The Basingstoke Canal (Sales Stand Venues 1991)". June 1991. Retrieved 2008-11-03.[dead link]
- "The Robey Trust". Retrieved 15 June 2010. "...the Tavistock Steam Fair, normally takes place on the Sunday of the first weekend of June every year."
- "Torbay Steam Fair". Retrieved 2008-11-03.
- [http:// Wiston Steam Rally] http:// Wiston Steam Rally]]. Missing or empty
- "Annual Steam-up". Antique Powerland. Retrieved 2009-02-15.
- The Buckley Old Engine Show Retrieved 2010-07-27
- "Central North Dakota Steam Thresher's Reunion". City of New Rockford, North Dakota. Retrieved 2008-11-03.
- [dead link]
- National Threshers Association
- "New York Steam Engine Association: Pageant of Steam". Retrieved 2008-11-09.
- "Pioneer Engineers Club of Indiana, Inc". Pioneerengineers.com. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- River Thresheree, Inc.
- Soule’ Live Steam Festival and Railfest
- "Tall Stacks Music Arts & Heritage Festival". Tallstacks.com. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- Western Minnesota Steam Threshers Reunion
- Connecticut Antique Machinery Association (CAMA)
- Missouri River Valley Steam Engine Association (MRVSEA
- Riverbend Steam and Gas Association
- Live steam
- Hollycombe Steam Collection – essentially a steam fair, but in the form of a museum
- Thursford Collection – steam museum featuring traction engines
- List of UK Steam Fairs
- UK Traction engine rallies
- Live listings of UK Steam and Vintage Events (Visitors may also submit to this Events Guide)
- "Old Glory" Online Guide to UK Events including steam rallies and fairs (dynamic list) - from the Old Glory magazine
- (Old Glory also publishes a 'Free' paper version at the start of each year listing UK Events.)