List of submerged places in Spain
This is a list of submerged places in Spain. Sometimes, entire villages are submerged under the waters of a reservoir. When the level of waters is low, the structures can emerge and be visible.
Submerged villages and municipalities
Villages and municipalities under the waters of a reservoir. Sometimes, a new village or municipality is created with the same name in another location:
- Old village of Benagéber in Embalse de Benagéber, Valencian Community
- Old village of Fayón in Embalse de Ribarroja, Zaragoza
- La Muedra in Embalse de La Cuerda del Pozo, Soria
- Old village of Mansilla de la Sierra in Embalse de Mansilla de la Sierra, La Rioja
- Mediano in Embalse de Mediano, Province of Huesca
- Anciles, Burón (partially), Éscaro, La Puerta, Old village of Riaño and Pedrosa del Rey in Embalse de Riaño, province of León
- Sant Romà de Sau in Embalse de Sau, Catalonia
- Santa María de Poyos in Embalse de Buendía, province of Guadalajara
- Santolea in Embalse de Santolea, province of Teruel
- Old village of Portomarín, in Embalse de Belesar, province of Lugo
- Old village of Castellar de la Frontera, in province of Cadiz
- El Atance in Embalse de El Atance, province of Guadalajara
- Argusino in Embalse de Almendra, province of Zamora.
- Old village of Tiurana in Embalse de Rialb, province of Lleida.
- Old village of Lanuza in Embalse de Lanuza, province of Huesca.
- Talavera la Vieja in Embalse de Valdecañas, province of Cáceres.
- Old village of Canales in Embalse de Canales, province of Granada.
- Peñarrubia in Embalse de Guadalteba, province of Málaga.
Old village of Riaño in November 1984, three years before being submerged
Landmarks which are partially or completely under the waters of a reservoir. Some of them may be visible under some circumstances:
- Church of Mediano in Embalse de Mediano, Province of Huesca
- Church of Sant Romà in Pantà de Sau, Province of Barcelona, Catalonia
- Hermitage of El Mibral in Embalse de Guadalcacín, province of Cádiz
- Hermitage of San Antonio in Embalse de Mediano, Province of Huesca
- Hermitage of Virgen de Monclús in Embalse de Mediano, Province of Huesca
- A medieval bridge in Embalse de Mediano, Province of Huesca
- Reales Baños de La Isabela in Embalse de Buendía, Province of Guadalajara
Church of Mediano, Huesca
Some landmarks have been moved partially or completely to another locations and saved from being submerged:
- The Church of Pedrosa del Rey was moved from Pedrosa del Rey to New Riaño.
- The Church of Nuestra Señora del Rosario was moved from La Puerta to New Riaño.
- The Church of San Nicolás was moved from the old Portomarín to the new one.
- The Church of San Pedro was moved from the old Portomarín to the new one.
- The Church of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción was moved from El Atance to Guadalajara and renamed to Church of San Diego de Alcalá.
- A fountain from El Atance was moved to a park in Sigüenza.
- The facade of the Church of San Pedro was moved from the old village of Tiurana to the new one.
- List of reservoirs and dams in Spain
- The Temple of Debod is an ancient temple moved from Egypt to Madrid before the fill-up of the Aswan Dam.
- Más de 300 personas conmemoran la historia de Santa María de Poyos (Archived at WebCite) (Spanish)
- Santolea, un pueblo para no olvidar (Spanish)
- Pueblos deshabitados: El Atance (Archived at WebCite) (Spanish)
- Un libro rescata la historia de Argusino, anegado por un embalse hace 41 años (Archived at WebCite) (Spanish)
- Tiurana renace tras sucumbir bajo las aguas de Rialb (Archived at WebCite) (Spanish)
- Acontecimientos previos a la inundación de Talaverilla (Archived at WebCite) (Spanish)
- Pueblo de canales (Spanish)
- Cuarenta años del éxodo de Peñarrubia (Archived at WebCite) (Spanish)
- Mediano, Valle de la Fueva, Pirineo Aragonés (Spanish)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Emerged submerged structures.|
- Pueblos que yacen bajo las aguas (Archived at WebCite) (Spanish)
- Photos of Old Riaño (Archived at WebCite) (Spanish)
- Borrados del mapa (Archived at WebCite) (Spanish)