List of symphony orchestras in the United States
There were about 1,200 symphony orchestras in the United States as of 1998. Some U.S. orchestras maintain a full 52-week performing season, but most are small and have shorter seasons. As of 2007, there were 117 U.S. orchestras with annual budgets of $2.5 million or more.
Critics historically have identified five American orchestras as the Big Five, the five symphony orchestras that were considered leaders in "musical excellence, calibre of musicianship, total contract weeks, weekly basic wages, recording guarantees, and paid vacations." The five orchestras given this label as of the 1950s were the New York Philharmonic, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Philadelphia Orchestra, and Cleveland Orchestra. The list is considered to be outdated, as modern music critics include some additional orchestras on their lists of the top American orchestras.
Notable U.S. orchestras are listed here by state. Youth orchestras are listed in a separate list of youth orchestras in the United States. For orchestras in other countries, see list of symphony orchestras.
District of Columbia
- Kentucky Symphony Orchestra
- Lexington Philharmonic
- Louisville Orchestra
- Orchestra Kentucky of Bowling Green
- Owensboro Symphony Orchestra
- Paducah Symphony Orchestra
- UK Symphony Orchestra
St. Joseph Symphony Orchestra
- Catherine Wichterman, The Orchestra Forum: A Discussion of Symphony Orchestras in the US, 1998 Annual Report (Andrew W. Mellon Foundation)
- U.S. Symphony Orchestras and Their Music Directors, Information Please Database, 2007, Pearson Education, Inc.
- Robert R. Faulkiner, "Career Concerns and Mobility Motivations of Orchestra Musicians", The Sociological Quarterly, Vol. 14, No. 3 (Summer, 1973), p. 336. Archived at JSTOR. Retrieved 28 March 2012. Subscription required.
- Michael Walsh, Lee Griggs, James Shepherd, "Music: Which U.S. Orchestras Are Best?" Time, April 25, 1983. Retrieved 18 July 2010.
- League of American Orchestras, League of American Orchestras (Winter 2014). Sandla, Robert, ed. "2014 Member Directory: League of American Orchestras". Symphony. Number 1 (New York, NY: League of American Orchestras) 65 (1): 79. ISSN 0271-2687. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- Atlantic Classical Orchestra -
- "Symphonies in Georgia: Columbus Symphony Orchestra". Brown's Guide to Georgia.
- "Spotlight: The Georgia Symphony Orchestra". Kennesaw Patch.
- "Small Orchestra Organizations: Issues and Challenges". Harmony. Symphony Orchestra Institute. 2001.
- Jennifer Guerra (August 10, 2010). "Teens rock out at the Jackson Symphony Orchestra". Michigan Radio.
- Zeke Jennings (October 9, 2012). "Once again, Jackson Symphony Orchestra showing willingness to take bold chances". All Michigan. MLive Media Group.
- "Mississippi Symphony Orchestra". Greater Jackson Arts Council.