List of systems of the human body
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This list is one of a series documenting|
The major systems of the human body are:
- Skeletal system: bones give support to the body and its organs
- Muscular system: moves the body with muscles
- Nervous system: collects & processes information from the senses via nerves and the brain and tells the muscles to contract to cause physical actions
- Respiratory system: the lungs and the trachea bring air into the body to sustain life
- Cardiovascular system: the heart, arteries and veins circulate blood through the body to carry oxygen and nutrients to organs & cells, and carry waste products away from organs & cells
- Digestive system: processes food with mouth, esophagus, stomach and intestines to provide nutrients to sustain life. Has two types of digestion, chemical and mechanical.
- Excretory system: eliminates wastes from the body; includes the Urinary system
- Endocrine system: provides chemical communication within the body using hormones
- Immune system: defends against disease-causing agents (includes the Lymphatic system)
- Integumentary system: skin, hair, nails, with sweat and other exocrine glands
- Reproductive system: the sex organs allow the opportunity to create offspring.