|The usage of this non-free media on Wikipedia is under review for compliance with our policies on non-free content.
You are welcome to join the discussion on its entry on the Non-free content review page.
Do not remove this template until the disputes have been resolved.
In the manga and anime series Naruto by Masashi Kishimoto, a jutsu (術?, lit. "technique" or "skill") refers to the abilities that a ninja can use. The series occurs in a fictional universe in which different countries fight for power using ninja soldiers. The Naruto storyline follows a group of young ninja from the village of Konohagakure (Hidden leaf village). In this series, ninja use jutsu by manipulating a form of energy known as chakra, a combination of the physical and mental energies into either of the other two main jutsus.
Series creator Masashi Kishimoto developed the concept of jutsu to explain the supernatural feats ninja perform in the series, and also to provide an original image of ninja in manga. The incorporation of jutsu into the series has received both praise and criticism from several anime and manga publications. T.H.E.M. Anime Reviews asserted that jutsu were the primary focus of Naruto and the source of its "highest accolades," but criticized the overly repetitive use of certain jutsu in fight scenes. Anime News Network agreed with this sentiment, calling the fights "repetitive to a fault," but praised the visual presentation of jutsu in both the anime and manga.
- 1 Concept and development
- 2 Chakra
- 3 Jutsu types
- 4 Recurring jutsu
- 4.1 Chidori
- 4.2 Summoning: Reanimation
- 4.3 Advanced Chakra Nature Transformation
- 4.4 Orochimaru's cursed seals
- 4.5 Puppet Technique
- 4.6 Rasengan
- 4.7 Reaper Death Seal
- 4.8 Ninja Art: Mitotic Regeneration
- 4.9 Sexy Jutsu
- 4.10 Shadow Clone Jutsu
- 4.11 Byakugan
- 4.12 Sharingan
- 4.13 Rinnegan
- 4.14 Summoning Jutsu
- 5 Reception
- 6 References
Concept and development
Masashi Kishimoto developed the concept of jutsu in order to explain the superhuman feats that ninja performed in the Naruto series. He intended the design for the ninja in Naruto to dispel preconceived notions about ninja popularized by other manga and to bring an original take to the presentation of ninja in manga. The use of hand seals substitutes for the incantations for magic found in other sources, and was based on the motions of ninja in various role-playing games. The hand seals are based upon the characters of the Chinese zodiac, which is a longstanding tradition in Japan, and Kishimoto used them specifically to draw upon that tradition.
Although the concept of chakra appears in Indian mythology, in Buddhism and in other belief systems, in an interview, Kishimoto claimed that none of these influences were the basis for his use of chakra in Naruto. He further asserted that it was a term to apply a concrete definition to ninjas' ability to use jutsu in Naruto, and was comparable to the Force in Star Wars or to magic points in role-playing games.
Chakra (チャクラ chakura?) is the basic energy source necessary for ninja in Naruto to perform most jutsu. Millennia ago, humans were originally born without Chakra until a young woman stole the fruit of the Shinju and ate it to obtain the power of Chakra to end a war in her time. Her son, the Sage of Six Paths, was born with ability to produce Chakra by combining the physical energy (身体エネルギー shintai enerugī?), drawn from the trillions of cells that make up the human body, and the mental energy (精神エネルギー seishin enerugī?), gained through experience and meditation. Once created, chakra moves throughout the body in a manner similar to the circulatory system and is delivered to one of 361 chakra release points. By performing a sequence composed of any of twelve different hand seals, chakra can then be manipulated to create supernatural effects, such as walking on water. The method of Chakra production is passed on to the Sage's various descendants, both direct and indirect, along with other ninja.
During Part II of the series the concept of nature transformation (性質変化 seishitsu henka?), altering the quality of chakra, is introduced. Nature manipulation allows ninja, following certain training, to convert their chakra into one of five elements: earth, water, fire, wind, and lightning. Each element is stronger and weaker than another element; for example, fire is weak against water, but can easily counter and even gets stronger when used against a wind-based jutsu. Most ninja have a natural affinity for one of the five elements, allowing them to use jutsu of that type with greater ease. Ninja with an affinity for fire, for instance, will be able to breathe fire much sooner than they will be able to manipulate water.
Skilled ninja can learn how to use other elements; ninja of the Jonin rank typically are able to manipulate at least two elements. Kakashi Hatake has been shown using three different elements in the Naruto manga and a fourth in the anime adaptation. Although these ninja can use their different elements separately with little effort, combining the two elements is impossible for ninja who do not have a genetic predisposition for it. Ninja with one of these genetic abilities can mix two specific elements to create an entirely new one. Haku, an antagonist introduced at the start of the series, can mix water and wind to create ice. Wood Style, a combination of earth and water unique to the First Hokage, Danzo and Yamato, allows the user to produce wood. There is also the Yin-Yang Style and its splintered forms, Yin Style and Yang Style, that only few master and can counter the other Chakra natures.
The Eight Gates (八門 Hachimon?, English anime: "The Eight Inner Gates") are eight specific points along the chakra circulatory system that limit the overall flow of chakra within a person's body, which enables the body from expiring too soon. Ninja devised the Eight Gates Released Formation (八門遁甲の陣 Hachimon Tonkō no Jin?, English TV "Eight Inner Gates Formation) to surpass their own physical limits at the cost of various levels of damage to their own bodies. Each additional gate grants the user new levels of strength with additional injuries; by opening all eight gates the user will become invincible in battle, but their body will be so damaged in the process that they will die afterwards. Might Guy mastered the Eight Gates and taught Rock Lee who opens his first five gates during Part I of the series,. Guy can goes further by activating the sixth and seventh during Part II, revealing the eighth gate's activation would kill him. In the Naruto Shippūden 2: Bonds movie, the villain Shinnō mentions opening the 8 gates when gaining the "perfect body" from his dark chakra transformation.
- Gate of Opening (開門 Kaimon?): Located in the brain, the gate removes the brain's restraints on the muscles to use 100% of their strength.
- Gate of Healing (休門 Kyūmon?, English TV "Gate of Rest"): Located in the brain, it forcibly increases one's physical strength and temporarily empowers the body.
- Gate of Life (生門 Seimon?): Located on the spinal cord, its release causes the skin to turn red from increased blood flow.
- Gate of Pain (傷門 Shōmon?): Located on the spinal cord, its release increases the user's speed and power at the cost of potential tearing in muscle tissue.
- Gate of Limit (杜門 Tomon?, English TV "Gate of Closing"): Located in the abdomen, its release further increases the user's speed and power.
- Gate of View (景門 Keimon?, English TV "Gate of Joy"): Located in the stomach, its release further increases the user's speed and power to the point that bodies of water would converge around the user who to the enormous amounts of chakra being emitted.
- Gate of Wonder (驚門 Kyōmon?, English TV "Gate of Shock"): Located below the stomach, its releases causes every pour of the user's body to emit a turquoise-colored sweat that instantly evaporates and gives the illusion of a chakra coating. Unfortunately, the side effects of opening the seventh gate are that the user's muscle fibers become fragile to the point that anything can rip them to shreds.
- The Gate of Death (死門 Shimon?): Located at the heart, its release uses up all of the body's energy while the sweat becomes a crimson color. With the heart pumping at maximum power and exceeds the power of every other gate, this gate makes the user the most powerful figure in a battle yet kills them shortly after.
Jutsu are divided into three categories: ninjutsu, genjutsu, and taijutsu. Ninjutsu also has two sub-categories: sealing jutsu and cursed seal jutsu, both of which are used to create seals for various purposes. Senjutsu, a concept introduced in Part II of the series, uses three types of energy: the mental and physical energies of the shinobi and the energy of nature. By channeling the energy of nature, the senjutsu user can greatly increase the power of his or her other jutsu. Kekkei genkai abilities are genetically inherited traits that allow the user to perform unique techniques.
Jutsu are ranked in terms of how difficult they are to perform, an E-rank denoting basic techniques and an S-rank indicating jutsu that require years of practice to master. An S-rank jutsu is not necessarily more effective than an E-rank ability, as a jutsu's effectiveness is largely based on individual skill. In addition to the six letter ranks, jutsu can also receive one of two informal ranks. "Secret" (秘伝 hiden?) jutsu are passed down from generation to generation within a clan. These jutsu are not ranked because no one outside the clan knows how to perform them. "Forbidden techniques" (禁術 kinjutsu?), on the other hand, fall into one of the six main ranks, but are an exception because they are forbidden to learn or perform. A technique can be categorized as forbidden if it either causes great harm to the user, such as opening the Eight Gates or the execution of Naruto's technique Wind Style: Rasenshuriken, or if the techniques are dark or sinister in nature, such as those used by Orochimaru.
Ninjutsu (忍術?, lit. "ninja techniques") is a vague term referring to almost any technique that uses chakra and allows the user to do something that they otherwise would be incapable of doing. Unlike genjutsu, which makes the opponent see illusions, the effects of ninjutsu are real. They vary greatly in purpose, with the simpler ninjutsu serving such tasks as transforming the user or allowing them to evade attacks. These techniques are often second-nature for experienced ninja, who can use them at will. More complex ninjutsu manipulate one's surroundings or utilize the elements, respectively serving such tasks as healing others or manipulating basic elements. Techniques that involve the manipulation of elements are called "Nature Transformations." This allows the manipulation and usage of basic elements like fire, wind, lightning, earth and water, and more advanced elements like ice, wood, lava, crystal, dust, steel, scorching heat, and magnetism. However, advanced elements can not be accessed by all ninja as advanced elements can only be used through the use of a kekkai genkai.
Genjutsu (幻術?, lit. "illusion techniques") are techniques that use the chakra in the victim's mind system to create illusions. The most commonly seen genjutsu in the series is the simple creation of phantasms – causing the targeted person(s) to hear, see, smell, taste or feel sensations that are not actually there in order to manipulate them. Most genjutsu affects the five senses, though other applications of genjutsu exist. Those under the influence of genjutsu usually freeze in place or lose consciousness, depending on how capable they are in recognizing and defending against it. Depending on the purpose of the genjutsu, one could be running or jumping while under the genjutsu (as seen when Itachi uses genjutsu on Naruto in part II, when he used the Rasengan on Itachi, only to find out it had been genjutsu and he had used it on air). A genjutsu can be broken in one of three ways. The first is "genjutsu cancel" (幻術解 genjutsu kai?), a disruption of the victim's chakra flow either by themselves or their allies. Pain that is not a result of the genjutsu, such as stabbing oneself, is a second method of countering genjutsu. Finally, if the caster of the genjutsu loses focus for whatever reason, the jutsu will end and the victim is freed.
Taijutsu (体術?, lit. "body techniques" or "hand-to-hand combat") refers to any techniques involving the martial arts or the optimization of natural human abilities. Taijutsu is executed by directly accessing the user's physical and mental energies, relying on the stamina and strength gained through training. Because chakra does not need to be produced, taijutsu can typically be performed much faster than ninjutsu or genjutsu techniques. Rock Lee and his teacher Might Guy are some of the example of ninja who specialize in taijutsu.
Kekkei genkai (血継限界?, lit. "bloodline limit") are abilities passed down genetically in ordinary clans. Most of these clans have developed special techniques that rely on their genetic abilities, as it gives them an advantage in battle that cannot be taught to or copied by opponents. Kekkei genkai such as the Sharingan that work via the user's eyes are called "eye techniques" (瞳術 dōjutsu?). Other kekkei genkai such as Wood Style revolve around a simultaneous combination of two separate chakra elements to create an entirely new one. Kekkei Genkai have an advanced variation called Kekkei tōta (血継淘汰 lit. "bloodline selection"?). There is only one example of this variation: Particle Style, which involves the combination of fire, wind, and earth elements.
Sealing jutsu (封印術 Fūin jutsu?) are techniques developed by the Sage Of Six Paths to seal something inside objects or living beings. The developing of new Sealing jutsus was continued by the Uzumaki Clan, a branch of Senju Clan who are descendants of the Sage, one of their works being one that seals Tailed Beasts into their Jinchuriki to be. The most common application of this is sealing weapons or other objects within scrolls to efficiently carry a large number of items. Sealing jutsu are also utilized to restrict access to things, such as chakra or entry to a building. The "Reaper Death Seal" is a unique sealing jutsu as the target's soul is sealed with the Reaper, who is neither living nor an object.
Senjutsu (仙術?, lit. "sage techniques") is a form of jutsu introduced during Part II of the series that is taught from summons who have obtained the title of Sage, two of which are the Great Toad Sage and the White Snake Sage. A user can achieve mastering Senjutsu by combining the user's chakra with "natures energy", a task that can only be completed by ninja with particularly large chakra reserves who learn to harmonize with nature by remaining perfectly still — anyone else who tries is quickly overwhelmed by this natural energy, as seen in the case of Jugo's Clan rendered mentally unstable with fits of rage. For those who learn under the Great Toad Sage, the overdose of natural energy turns them into giant stone toad statues though the effects can be neutralized with the sage's beating stick. Those who master Senjutsu are able to enter a state called "Sage Mode" (仙人モード Sennin mōdo?) where user adopts the physical features of his animal mentor. While Jiraya and Naruto obtained Sage Mode from the Great Toad Sage, Jugo's bloodline, Orochimaru, and Kabuto gained their ability to use Senjutsu from the White Snake Sage. Because the chakra utilized from the natural world, Senjutsu is an effective weapon against the Ten-Tails and Yin-Yang Style users.
The Chidori (千鳥?, lit. "One Thousand Birds") was created by Kakashi Hatake during his childhood, gaining its name when the channeling of strong lightning-based chakra in one's hand produces a sound reminiscent of chirping birds. Once enough lightning-chakra has been collected, the user rushes at their target and thrusts the Chidori into it; the speed of the attack and the amount of chakra used enable the user to penetrate most defenses easily. During Kakashi Gaiden, a short flashback to Kakashi's childhood that divides Part I and II of the series, the Chidori is revealed to cause a tunnel vision effect because of the speeds at which the user moves, leaving them vulnerable to a counterattack. Because of this disability, only ninja with a Sharingan eye can use the Chidori effectively, as the Sharingan's ability to notice even the slightest details counteracts the tunnel vision. As a result, Kakashi is able to teach the Chidori to Sasuke Uchiha during Part I.
Due to the large amounts of concentration and chakra needed to collect and control the lightning-chakra, both Kakashi and Sasuke are initially limited to using Chidori only a few times a day. They are shown to have increased their limits in Part II, but to what extent is unclear. As the creator of the Chidori, Kakashi has reached a level of control great enough that he can split a bolt of lightning, resulting in his version being called the "Lightning Blade" (雷切 Raikiri?). Sasuke also reaches greater levels of control during Part II, which allows him to reshape the Chidori in his hand into solid form like a sword with more variations like Chidori Stream, Chidori Needles, or Chidori Spear.
Summoning: Reanimation (口寄せ・穢土転生 Kuchiyose: Edo Tensei?, Summoning: Impure World Reincarnation) is a forbidden summoning jutsu that is used to revive the dead in a state of near-life. The process of this jutsu is obtaining a genetic sample from the deceased, either through grave robbery or blood stains and salvaged organs. From there, a living person is then sacrificed for the deceased spirit to inhabit and serve as a slave to the user's will. However, the Jutsu can only function if the deceased soul is within the realm of Pure Land and not elsewhere in the afterlife like in the stomach of the Reaper. Though it was the Tobirama Senju who invented the Reanimation Jutsu for the purpose of creating an indestructible army used in suicide attacks, the jutsu was later completed by Orochimaru when he used it against the Third Hokage, Hiruzen Sarutobi by reviving its creator and his predecessor. However, Kabuto perfected the jutsu to the point where he is able to revive dozens of ninja in one execution, needing to focus all his mental energy to fully control them. People revive through this process are almost invulnerable to even the most fatal attacks, as they will simply regenerate any damage taken (although it takes some time for especially damaging ones like Rasengan and they can also be paralyzed by specific attacks, such as poison). The only effective means to destroy a ninja brought back is with Yin-Yang Style techniques that was damage the body beyond regeneration to the point of death.
Despite Kabuto claiming that the technique is flawless, it does have several flaws, including the resurrected can choose to leave their vessels to drift back to the afterlife willingly. Those who are paralyzed, sealed, or subjected to certain genjutsu, such as Kotoamatsukami cannot take further action to free themselves until the technique is canceled. Also, the reanimated can sever their link to the jutsu so they will remain among the living even after the jutsu is canceled, as shown by Madara Uchiha. Furthermore, if such a ninja is brought back to true life with the Rinnegan's Samsara of Heavenly Life Jutsu, the living equivalent of that ninja's body part is absent.
Advanced Chakra Nature Transformation
The advanced Chakra Nature Transformation is a type of kekkei genkai which allows the users to manipulate elements other than the five basic chakra nature; fire, water, wind, lightning, and earth. The combination is usually achieved through mixing two (or three in the case of kekkei tōta) separate elements to create an entirely new one; thus the users are able to use the elements that composed the advanced element in addition to the kekkei genkai (such as Yamato being able to use water and earth in addition to the wood) . Due to the nature of kekkei genkai, ninja with no blood limit required to use the elements are unable to use them even when they had mastered the basic components of the element. Some advanced elements may be unique to one person in the clan, the most notable being the Wood Style, which is only present in Hashirama Senju. The known advanced chakra nature transformations are as follows:
- Ice Style (氷遁 Hyōton?, Ice Release) mixes water and wind element to create ice. It is passed down through members of the Yuki clan, most notably Haku.
- Wood Style mixes water and earth element to create wood. It is unique in that only Hashirama Senju is confirmed to possess it naturally, with other people possessing it being imbued with Hashirama's DNA.
- Explosive Style (爆遁 Bakuton?, Explosion Release) allows the users to imbue objects with explosive chakra to make them explode. It is possessed by members of the Iwagakure Explosion Corps, which include Gari and Akatsuki member Deidara, thus being one of kekkei genkai possessed by ninja without familial connection with each other. It is named long after its introduction, previously being thought to be a variation of Earth Style.
- Magnet Style (磁遁 Jiton?, Magnet Release) allows the manipulation of magnet chakra to attract objects or magnetize an object through simple touch. It is one of the kekkei genkai to be possessed by ninja without familial connection with each other, first being stated to be possessed by the Third Kazekage to attract iron powder. The Fourth Kazekage also possessed the technique which is used to attract gold dust. Toroi of Kumogakure possessed a variation of the technique which is used to magnetize objects through skin contact.
- Inferno Style (炎遁 Enton?, Blaze Release) allows manipulation of the commonly-thought unquenchable black flames of Amaterasu. It is possessed by Uchiha clan, though only Sasuke Uchiha is known to possess it.
- Gale/Storm Style (嵐遁 Ranton?, Storm Release) mixes water and lightning element to create energy beams which can be guided like water. It is possessed by Kumogakure ninja, most notably Darui. The third Shippūden film, Naruto Shippuden the Movie: The Will of Fire has a variation which allows manipulation of lightning clouds which are able to absorb chakra. The variation is possessed by Hiruko after stealing it from an unknown ninja.
- Corrosion/Lava Style (熔遁/溶遁 Yōton?, Lava Release) mixes fire and earth element to create lava. It is one of the kekkei genkai possessed by ninja without familial connection with each other as well as being the most diverse of the known kekkei genkai, first stated to had possessed by the Four Tails, Son Gōku, and takes the form of molten rock. It is also used by the Fifth Mizukage, Mei Terumī as well as Kurotsuchi of Iwagakure, the latter of which has the lava taking form of quicklime. Dodai of Kumogakure is also known to possess a variation which takes form of vulcanized rubber.
- Vapour Style (沸遁 Futton?, Boil Release) mixes fire and water element to create powerful corrosive gas. It is one of the two advanced chakra nature possessed by Mei Terumī.
- Particle Style (塵遁 Jinton?, Dust Release) mixes fire, wind, and earth element to create an expanding three-dimensional object capable of disintegrating anything it touches at molecular level. It is the only example of kekkei tōta, an advanced variation of kekkei genkai which mixes three elements instead of two. Two ninja are known to possess it: Ōnoki and Mū, both of which had no familial connection with each other.
- Scorch Style (灼遁 Shakuton?, Scorch Release) allows manipulation of chakra taking form of fire orbs capable of heating up water inside a person's body until they evaporate, effectively mummifying them. Only one ninja is known to possess this technique; Pakura of Sunagakure. Though unconfirmed, it is implied that the technique is made up of fire and wind element.
The anime adaptation and the film series have also introduced several new advanced chakra nature transformations. These types have never been revisited in the manga. Those are as follows:
- Crystal Style (晶遁 Shōton?, Crystal Release) allows the user to create crystals from moisture in the air as weapons, crystallize objects, or manipulate already available crystals. The only known user of this kekkei genkai is Guren, who appears in the anime-only Three Tails Arc.
- Quick Style (迅遁 Jinton?, Swift Release) allows the user to move at instantaneous speed, making them unable to be hit by most Taijutsu attacks. It appears in the third Naruto Shippūden film Naruto Shippuden the Movie: The Will of Fire, possessed by Hiruko after stealing it from an unknown ninja.
- Shade Style (冥遁 Meiton?, Dark Release) allows the user to absorb, manipulate, and release enemy's chakra through a pair of diamond marks in the user's hand. It appears in the third Naruto Shippūden film Naruto Shippuden the Movie: The Will of Fire, possessed by Hiruko after stealing it from an unknown ninja.
- Steel Style (鋼遁 Kōton?, Steel Release) allows the user to transform the body into black steel, rendering it impenetrable. It appears in the third Naruto Shippūden film Naruto Shippuden the Movie: The Will of Fire, possessed by Hiruko after stealing it from an unknown ninja.
Wood Style (木遁 Mokuton?, lit. "Wood Release") is the kekkei genkai of Hashirama Senju. By combining earth and water-based chakra, the user can produce trees or wooden objects from any surface. This allow the First Hokage, Hashirama Senju, to create the foundation of Konohagakure. The objects created with the Wood Style vary in detail, ranging from a simple wall to a functioning copy of the user. During Part II, it was revealed that Yamato received the ability to use Wood Style techniques after being injected with Hashirama's DNA by Orochimaru, though at a much lesser scale. A possibly unrelated technique, but unique to the First Hokage and Yamato, is the ability to suppress a tailed beast. This is accomplished by producing wooden poles from the ground that attach to the beast and force its chakra to recede. Similar to Yamato, Danzō Shimura also had the Hashirama's DNA injected into him by Orochimaru, granting him the ability to use Wood Style techniques, but only to a limited amount as Danzō can not have too much implanted as he would have been killed. Madara Uchiha is revealed to had successfully injected Hashirama's DNA into him as well, becoming a genetic match to the Sage of Six Paths and had used it to save his apprentice Obito Uchiha from dying. Zetsu and his fellows clones are all essentially plant-based creatures implanted with Hashirama's DNA, allowing them to use Wood Style techniques.
Orochimaru's cursed seals
Orochimaru's Cursed Seal Jutsu (呪印術 Juinjutsu?, lit. "Cursed Seal Technique") is a special seal Orochimaru uses to increase the power of his subordinates and control them. Having met Jugo, Orochimaru's research of the youth's ability to freely transform parts of his body led him to Ryūchi Cave where he gained the ability to assume Sage Mode yet could not properly use it due to the frailty of his hosts. However, to compensate for the flaw, Orochimaru devised the Cursed Seals by infusing his Senjutsu Chakra into the enzymes he extracted from Jugo's body. From there, Orochimaru proceeded to bestow his Cursed Seals to those he intended to use as his strong and loyal followers due to a part of his consciousness influencing them through the Cursed Seals. Among those given the Cursed Seal are Anko, the Sound Five, Kimimaro and Sasuke.
The process upon being branded is a painful experience for the person as the body would either accept the seal or reject it. Once one's body accepts the seal, they can assume its First Level where the seal spreads from its point of application across the user's body, increasing their chakra supply and their physical abilities in the process. When the seal is deactivated, the user is left exhausted, having expended all their energy during its use. The Second Level of the Cursed Seal is achieved by allowing the seal to engulf the users entire body, ultimately causing the person to transform into a personalized parody of Sage Mode with various strengths and weakness. The means to achieve the Second Level is by being given a drug and entering a state of lifelessness.
Having gained his Cursed Seal by Orochimaru's bite to his neck during the Chunin Exams, all to prepare him as the ninja's next vessel, Sasuke survives the ordeal and briefly used its power before Kakashi set up an additional seal to keep the Cursed Seal at bay. But after gaining the Second Level with the Sound Four's aid, Sasuke began training under Orochimaru and manages to isolate the level two transformation to specific parts of his body within a few years' time before Itachi removed the Cursed Seal from him. Anko also had hers removed during the Fourth Great Ninja War when Sasuke transferred the consciousness within it into a new body.
The Puppet Technique (傀儡の術 Kugutsu no Jutsu?, English manga: "Art of the Puppet Master", English anime: "Puppet Master Jutsu") is a style of combat originating in the village of Sunagakure that utilizes strings of chakra to control objects, typically puppets. The puppeteer connects one of their fingers to part of a puppet's body with a chakra string, allowing them to remotely operate it in battle with the proper finger movements. Advanced puppeteers can control multiple puppets at once; for instance, the Sunagakure ninja Chiyo can control ten puppets at once by having each finger control a different puppet. However, the Sasori can control up to 100 different puppets, with the strings connected directly to his heart. Because they rely almost exclusively on the secret weapons and features of their puppets during battle, puppeteers are the most vulnerable component of this style, and go to lengths to remove themselves from combat. Puppets normally cannot use chakra; the Akatsuki member Sasori creates puppets from human bodies, preserving the chakra and unique abilities the body originally had. Kankuro is the most commonly seen puppeteer in Naruto, and he adds additional puppets to his arsenal as the series progresses.
The Rasengan (螺旋丸?, lit. "Spiraling Sphere", English manga: "Spiral Chakra Sphere", Naruto: Uzumaki Chronicles: "Power Strike") is a jutsu that Minato Namikaze created after three years of hard development by observing the Tailed Beast Ball. It is a spinning ball of compressed chakra formed in the user's hand that tears and grinds with great force into whatever it comes into contact with. The Rasengan is introduced in the series when Jiraiya, Minato Namikaze's teacher, teaches it to Naruto Uzumaki, Minato's son, to take the boy further in his training. Because it is a difficult jutsu, Jiraiya teaches it to Naruto in three stages: spinning the chakra, giving it sufficient force, and forming the chakra into a compressed spherical shape. Naruto struggles with the final step, and creates an alternative method using a shadow clone to mold the shape of the attack while he provides the chakra and controls it.
During Part II of the series, new variants of the Rasengan are seen. Both Naruto and Jiraiya are shown capable of forming a larger, "Great Ball" Rasengan (大玉螺旋丸 Oodama Rasengan?) that is stronger than the standard version. Kakashi Hatake, Minato's student, and Konohamaru Sarutobi, Naruto's "apprentice", are also revealed to have been taught how to use the Rasengan. Kakashi reveals to Naruto that Minato intended to combine the Rasengan with his elemental chakra but was unable to complete the technique. Naruto is able to complete his father's work through the use of shadow clones – by using two shadow clones, one to mold the shape of the Rasengan and one to provide the elemental chakra, Naruto is able to add his wind element chakra to the Rasengan and creates a new version of it, Wind Style: Rasengan (風遁・螺旋丸 Fūton: Rasengan?), which is later developed into Wind Style: Rasenshuriken (風遁・螺旋手裏剣 Fūton: Rasenshuriken?). Although at first he can only maintain the form of the attack for a few seconds, it severely damages its target by separating into tiny needles (Kakashi calls 'swords') that target all the incredibly minuscule chakra points in the target's body. However, if used as a closed ranged weapon, it damages the users arm as well: using this attack, Naruto is able to defeat the "Immortal" Akatsuki member Kakuzu in a single attack with Kakashi saying the number of blows can not be seen by his Sharingan. However, the attack severely damaged Naruto's arm as well, prompting the Fifth Hokage Tsunade to label it as a Forbidden Jutsu. Later in Part II, Naruto masters the technique by using sage chakra, which enables him to throw the Rasenshuriken and use the technique without any self-damage as well as imbuing the sage chakra to create an enhanced version of Rasengan, the Sage Art: Super Big Ball Rasengan (仙法・超大玉螺旋丸 Senpō: Chō Oodama Rasengan?). After Naruto gains control over the Nine Tails, Kurama's chakra, many new variations are shown, such as Planetary Rasengan (惑星螺旋丸 Wakusei Rasengan?) in which he creates a Big Ball Rasengan surrounded by three smaller ones similar to moons surrounding a planet, Rasen-Rampage (螺旋乱丸 Rasenrangan?) which creates several Rasengan held by Nine Tails' arms to hit multiple targets, and Rasen-Absorption (螺旋吸丸 Rasenkyūgan?) which creates a Big Ball Rasengan and forces the enemies to hit it using Nine Tails' arms to create an illusion of "absorbed by Rasengan". All of these variations can also be multiplied through the use of shadow clones.
The Naruto movies also introduce one-time variations of the Rasengan: The Seven-Coloured Rasengan (七色の螺旋丸 Nanairo no Rasengan?), the Gelel Rasengan (ゲレル螺旋丸 Gereru Rasengan?), the Crescent Moon Rasengan (三日月螺旋丸 Mikazuki Rasengan?), the Tornado Rasengan (竜巻螺旋丸 Tatsumaki Rasengan?), the Guts Rasengan (ど根性螺旋丸 Dokonjō Rasengan?), and the Supreme Ultimate Rasengan (太極螺旋丸 Taikyoku Rasengan?). These variations have never been revisited in either the manga or anime.
Reaper Death Seal
Reaper Death Seal (屍鬼封尽 Shiki Fūjin?, lit. "Dead Demon Consuming Seal") is a suicidal forbidden Sealing Jutsu where the user summons an entity called the Reaper (死神 Shinigami?) behind him, thrusting its arm through the user's chest to grab the soul of the target and drag it into the user's body. Once the sealing is completed, the Reaper would consume the souls of both the user and the sealed, sentencing them to be locked in combat within its stomach for all eternity. However, in cases where only part of the target's soul is sealed, the corresponding body part is paralyzed and suffers from extremely painful necrosis. Only the Fourth and Third Hokage executed the Reaper Death Seal during their respective battles with Kurama and Orochimaru. In both cases, both Hokage were forced to only take a part of their opponents down with them: Minato taking the Yin aspect of Kurama while Hiruzen is forced take the part of Orochimaru's soul within his arms in an attempt to ensure his former pupil would never perform a jutsu again. Later, in the Part II during the events of the Fourth Great Ninja War, Orochimaru uses an Uzumaki clan mask to summon the Reaper in a risky move that break the Reaper Death Seal via cutting the demon's stomach wide open. With the Reaper Death Seal undone, the souls of the previous four Hokage are reanimated while Orochimaru regains the part of his soul he lost years ago.
Ninja Art: Mitotic Regeneration
Ninja Art: Mitotic Regeneration (創造再生 Sōzō Saisei?, lit. "Creation Rebirth") is the absolute pinnacle of medical ninjutsu, created by Tsunade, who is regarded as the greatest medical ninja in the ninja world. The user must first stores a substantial amount of chakra to form the Hyakugo Seal (白豪の印 Byakugō no In?, lit. "White Strength Seal") at the forehead. To activate the technique, the user releases the seal to forcibly release the stored chakra to the body. Through the input of the user, proteins hasten the creation of new cells through cell division, which regenerates any injuries sustained by the user. Thus, as long as the user have enough chakra, they are able to regenerate even the most fatal injuries, essentially making them "invincible" in combat. However, because body cells can only divide a number of times in life, the user is basically shortening their own lifespan by speeding up the process. Tsunade manages to counteract this to a certain extent through her long lifespan, thus she is able to live even after using the jutsu several times. The jutsu also has a variation, Mitotic Regeneration: One Hundred Healings (百豪の術 Byakugō no Jutsu?, lit. "Strength of a Hundred Technique"). Though it has the same effect as the original, the user does not need to input chakra to activate, thus injuries are automatically regenerated as the damages are done. As Tsunade is the only ninja who had mastered this variation, she had made the rule that prohibits any medical ninja to directly participate in battles if they had not mastered this technique.
The Sexy Jutsu (おいろけの術 Oiroke no Jutsu?, Disney XD dub version: "Cutie Jutsu") is a transformation jutsu that Naruto Uzumaki invented, transforming the user into a nude woman, covered in a mist or dressed, in a seductive posture. While not an offensive attack, the Sexy Jutsu is mainly used for distractive purposes with a stronger effect on more perverted targets. Naruto also invented the more potent Harem Jutsu (ハーレムの術 Hāremu no Jutsu?), through his Shadow Clones, and the Pervy Jutsu (Disney XD dub version: "Hottie Jutsu") where he adds an alluring outfit to his guise in order to add further enticement. During Part II, having mastered the Sexy Jutsu, Konohamaru invented his own more potent variations.
Shadow Clone Jutsu
The Shadow Clone Jutsu (影分身の術 Kage Bunshin no Jutsu?, English manga: "Art of the Shadow Doppelganger") is one of Naruto Uzumaki's signature techniques, invented by Tobirama Senju with the instructions placed in a forbidden scroll that Naruto was tricked into stealing by a ninja named Mizuki. Unlike regular clone jutsus, the Shadow Clones are physical clones of the user capable of cohabiting with their surroundings, performing jutsu, and engaging in battle before dispersing in a puff of smoke when sufficiently damaged or at the user's discretion. When clones are created, the user's chakra is evenly distributed among them, making it easy for the user to quickly expend all their chakra. While most ninja limit themselves to only making a few clones because of this, Naruto can create thousands of clones due to his large amount of chakra. He can also combine it with his "Sexy Jutsu" to produce the "Harem Jutsu". During Part II, Naruto discovers that any knowledge a clone gains during its existence is transferred to the user when it disperses. Despite using Shadow Clones several times throughout the series, Naruto failed to realize this benefit until told by Kakashi Hatake and since made use of the Jutsu in gaining more experience within days of training that would last years and to cover more ground with the Shadow Clones used as scouts.
The Byakuugan (白眼?, lit. "White Eye", English manga: "Evil Eye"/"All-Seeing Eye") is a genetic eye technique and one of the Three Great Dōjutsu that naturally occurs in members of the Hyūga clan. Ninja with the Byakugan are characterized by their lavender-white, pupil-less eyes. When the Byakugan is activated, their pupils become more distinct and the veins near their temples bulge. The Byakugan gives the user a nearly 360 degree field of vision. The user can concentrate his or her chakra in the blind spot to achieve a 360 degree angle. They can see and focus in on anything within a certain distance from themselves, the range of which can be extended through training. During Part I of the series, Neji Hyuga is limited to fifty meters, and by Part II, he can see objects at least eight-hundred meters away.
The Byakugan can detect and see through anything within its range of sight. In battle, users of the Byakugan can see the flow of chakra within an opponent's body. This enables the user to forcibly release their own chakra through one of the opponent's 361 chakra release points, cutting off the flow of chakra or directly attacking the internal organs. Because this is accomplished through only the slightest amount of physical contact, this style of fighting is named "Gentle Fist" (柔拳 Jūken?). Due to the manifold techniques using the Byakugan and the Gentle Fist style, the Hyūga impose an elaborate family hierarchy for security reasons. The Gentle Fist's secret techniques are only allowed to be learned by the clan's "main house", who are protected at all times by members of the "branch houses". Branch house members are also branded with a cursed seal that destroys their Byakugan when they die, preventing enemy ninja from studying their bodies to learn the Byakugan's secrets. In Part II, it is revealed that a Kirigakure ninja, Ao, had the Byakugan of a ninja he defeated transplanted into his right eye.
The Sharingan (写輪眼?, lit. "Copy Wheel Eye", English manga: "Mirror Wheel Eye") is a genetic attribute within the Uchiha Clan, likely a mutation of the eyes of the Sage of Six Paths's eldest son from whom the Uchiha are descended from. It is not immediately present from birth, and first activates when the user first experiences a strong sensation of despair that causes a special chakra to be released from the brain and alter the user's eyes. Because of the psychological effects it can have in obtaining it and evolving it, many have referred to the Sharingan as the "Curse of Hatred", including the Second Hokage. After awakening the Sharingan, the user may use it freely. When first acquired, the Sharingan may have one or two tomoe, acquiring more tomoe until it fully matures, having three tomoe in each eye. It is possible for the user to have a different number of tomoe in each eye. Kakashi Hatake possesses a single, transplanted Sharingan in his left eye that he received from his teammate, Obito Uchiha. Because he is not a member of the Uchiha clan, Kakashi's Sharingan is always active and he expends chakra rapidly when using it, forcing him to withdraw in combat or sacrifice his life energy and needing extended rest after long battles. Members of the Uchiha clan expend a mild amount of chakra when using the Sharingan; Akatsuki member Itachi Uchiha keeps his Sharingan activated constantly. Danzo Shimura has also been shown to have a transplanted Sharingan in his right eye, taken from Shisui Uchiha, and ten more in his right arm, also transplanted from other Uchiha clan members. Sasuke Uchiha is also frequently shown using his Sharingan, only retracting it when exhausted.
Over the course of its development, the Sharingan will grant the user three unique abilities: The first being its famous ability for the user to instantly memorize and replicate any opponent's movement and attacks with perfect accuracy. The Sharingan's second ability grants the user increased clarity of perception, allowing them to read and predict the movements and actions of fast-moving objects. This also allows the user to easily recognize genjutsu and different forms of chakra (see chakra in different colors). Its final ability is a brand of scenarios that suggests actions and thoughts to the opponent, acting as an effective way to produce beyond genjutsu abilities or implant memories in another person.
Those who possess the Sharingan also have access to two of the most powerful genjutsu, Izanagi (イザナギ?) and Izanami (イザナミ?). Both techniques work in reverse: Izanagi allows the user to "alter destiny"; they may turn moments inflicted on them (such as injury or death blow) into mere illusions, though only for several seconds, while Izanami is used to "determine destiny"; it traps the target in reliving a moment in an infinite loop until accepting the truth or remain still and eventually die. However, both techniques are labeled as forbidden jutsu, as they will permanently close the user's Sharingan eye. Danzō Shimura implanted numerous Sharingan eyes onto his right arm, allowing him to use Izanagi more than once, with one of the eyes being sealed per use, through Shisui Uchiha's Mangekyō Sharingan. However, Obito Uchiha claimed that the Izanagi jutsu is "perfected" and more effective when a person has both the Sharingan and the Senju's power, meanwhile labeling Danzō's Izanagi as "imperfect", as he lacks complete control over Hashirama's cells.
The Mangekyō Sharingan (万華鏡写輪眼 Mangekyō Sharingan?, lit. "Kaleidoscope Copy Wheel Eye") is a heightened form of Sharingan introduced towards the end of Part I. At that time, the Mangekyō Sharingan is explained to be rare, even among the members of the Uchiha clan, and present only in those who have killed their best friends,either accidentally or intentionally. In Part II, it is revealed that after Madara Uchiha became the first to awaken his Mangekyō Sharingan, apparently it became common practice for Uchiha clan members to kill their friends to gain their own. Also when one of the eyes from the same eyeset awakens the Mangekyō, the other eye awakens the Mangekyō too, causing Obito to awaken it, even if the one who killed his best friend was Kakashi, who has his other eye. As explained late to the Part II, the event is the end result of the "Curse of Hatred", in which the brain releases special chakra to the eyes so much that the Sharingan eventually transforms into Mangekyō Sharingan. At the cost of increased power, the Uchiha clan members who possess the Mangekyō Sharingan will start to lose their sanity, eventually descending to complete madness as they gain more power. Unlike the regular Sharingan, which appears identical from user to user, the Mangekyō Sharingan's tomoe seal differs between individuals. Also, the Mangekyō seems to grant different kind of jutsu to each of its users, though some might share the same jutsu, such as the iconic triad of jutsu used by Sasuke Uchiha, his brother Itachi, and Madara Uchiha. Its abilities were usually derived from the Japanese mythology, hence giving the interpretation that they are one of the divine and most powerful ninja techniques ever used. Features of the Mangekyō Sharingan include Tsukuyomi (月読?), a genjutsu that traps the opponent in a realm controlled by the user, where days of subjective time can pass instantly, and as such allows no time for the target to break free of the jutsu. The second ability of the Mangekyō is Amaterasu (天照?), the ability to generate inextinguishable black flames of hell at the focal point of the user's eyes, and will burn anything it touches. Amaterasu is said to never stop burning for seven days and seven nights, unless the user calls it off. After mastering the first two, the user gains the ability to create a construct of chakra called a Susanoo (須佐能乎?) that provides defense and offense. Each one unique to its summoner, all three known Susanoo initially appear as skeletal beings before assuming a complete physical form, and a "final" version.
Two other unrelated Mangekyō abilities include Kamui (神威?), awakened in Obito's Mangekyō Sharingan which grants him and Kakashi the ability to suck objects into a pocket dimension, though the method to do it is different in each eye; his right eye does it through physical contact with added ability to travel from the dimension and back to appear intangible, while his left eye (possessed by Kakashi) does it through a long-ranged portal, and Kotoamatsukami (別天津神?), awakened in Shisui's Mangekyō Sharingan, which granted him the ability to control other people's mind without them knowing.
Once it has been gained, the Uchiha user suffers from ever-deteriorating eyesight, a process that is aggravated by repeated use and culminates in blindness. One's eyesight can be permanently restored by taking and transplanting the eyes of another Uchiha clan member, a process that results in the creation of an "Eternal" Mangekyō Sharingan (永遠の万華鏡写輪眼, Eien no Mangekyō Sharingan). The tighter the blood ties are between the "donor" and the receiver, the better it is for compatibility, siblings for example. Not only does this process permanently restore one's eyesight, with the exception of using Izanagi or Izanami, but it also gives the person even greater power. The Eternal Mangekyō Sharingan also seems to change form from the original, with what appears to be a fusion of the current owner's Mangekyo with the previous owner's. Madara was the first Uchiha to awaken the Eternal Mangekyō by taking his younger brother's, Izuna, eyes to regain his sight, which gave him great power. After suffering from onset near-total blindness from overuse of his ocular powers, Sasuke underwent the process himself with Itachi's eyes, granting him all of Itachi's ocular powers in addition to his own. The deteriorating eyesight seems to be less of a case with the users of Kamui or Kotoamatsukami; Kamui seems to put less strain in the user's eyes than the triad of Mangekyō abilities, while Kotoamatsukami can only be used once per ten years, lessening the risk of blindness. Due to the related blood line, having both the Eternal Mangekyō Sharingan and Senju DNA will cause the Sharingan to evolve into Rinnegan, though the process only happens near the end of the user's natural lifespan.
The Rinnegan (輪廻眼?, lit. "Saṃsāra Eye") is a unique eye technique and the third and most "exalted" of the Three Great Dōjutsu, possessed by the Sage of the Six Paths who is regarded as the father of all jutsu in the shinobi world. The Rinnegan is characterized by a ripple-like pattern around the pupil, with a light purple iris and sclera. In addition to enabling the user to quickly master various jutsu, the user may also use all forms of chakra nature, including the Yin and Yang forms. Similar to Sharingan which is its evolutionary offshoot, the Rinnegan has its own exclusive abilities - the Six Paths, based on the Desire realm in Buddhist cosmology: the Animal Path that uses a variety of animal summons such as giant multi-headed dogs, the Asura Path with access to an arsenal of weapons, the Human Path which enables reading mind and ripping souls, the chakra absorbing Preta Path(this path can take chakra from ninjutsu, making Rinnegan users technically immune to them), the Naraka Path that can summon the King of Hell, and the Deva Path who are able to use five known abilities based on gravitation. The first is Almighty Push (神羅天征 Shinra Tensei?, lit. "Heavenly Subjugation of the Omnipresent God"), which uses the user's body as the epicenter of gravity and pushes away any technique of any force through gravity manipulation, though it has a five second limit after each use. It can be used for a large-scale effect by placing a titanic gravity over a large area and blowing them; in this case it can be used to destroy an entire village - at the cost of shortening the user's lifespan and being unable to use it for several minutes. The second is Universal Pull (万象天引 Bansho Ten'in?, lit. "Heavenly Attraction of All Creation"), a companion of Almighty Push and also manipulates gravity, but instead of pushing force, it pulls all things towards a center point. It also has the same five second limit, though it is unknown whether it can be used for a large-scale effect. The third ability is Planetary Devastation (地爆天星 Chibaku Tensei?, lit. "Heavenly Body Bursts from the Earth"), which musters a large amount of user's chakra to release a small black orb of energy into the sky, where it then activates and becomes a gravity center, lifting everything from the earth to it. It is capable of uprooting large trees, destroying mountains, and causes a large crater where the earth was taken. All the earth is compacted into an extraterrestrial body, floating in the sky, trapping everything and anything within it. The Sage of the Six Paths used this technique to create the moon, trapping the Ten Tails within it. The one weakness of this technique is its greatest strength. Because it pulls everything in the surrounding area towards its epicenter, a concentrated blast from powerful long range techniques will be automatically drawn to the black orb. If they destroy the black orb, the technique will end. The fourth ability is Shattered Heaven (天碍震星 Tengai Shinsei?, lit. "Heavenly Obstacle Quaking Star"), which pulls down double meteors to the Earth. The fifth ability is Limbo: Hengoku (輪墓・辺獄 Rinbo: Hengoku?, lit. "Wheel Grave: Limbo"), which sends an invisible force powerful enough to blow all nine Tailed Beasts at once.
In conjunction to Six Paths, a Rinnegan gives its user access to a special path called the Outer Path, which allows the user to control the aspect of life and death. Through this, one may create the Six Paths and control them through first-person view. The user can also use special chakra chains which can bind even Tailed Beasts. Lastly, the user may perform a technique called Outer Path: Samsara of Heavenly Life Jutsu (外道・輪廻天生の術 Gedō: Rinne Tensei no Jutsu?) to fully resurrect the dead by offering their own lives. The Sage of the Six Paths possesses a unique technique not used by anyone else called the Creation of All Things (万物創造 Banbutsu Sōzō?) which manipulates the Yin chakra to create physical forms out of nothingness, then bestows it with life force through the Yang chakra.
Due to the fact that it is not a genetic ability and thus is very rare, the Rinnegan has been regarded as some sort of legend with only the Sage of Six Paths known to acquire it. However, Madara Uchiha learned that the Eternal Mangekyō Sharingan would evolve into Rinnegan if fused with Senju DNA, although the process only happens near the end of the user's natural lifespan. From there, Madara implanted his eyes into Nagato to use them as Pain and developed the Six Paths of Pain where he converts a corpse into an extension of himself that uses a sixth of his full power. Each corpse can manifest one of the six main paths, and have a shared field of vision. The corpses' physical condition can be restored by the King of Hell,which in turn is summoned by the Naraka Path. As the Sharingan originated due to a Rinnegan's mutation, the Rinnegan can perform the same jutsus as the Mangekyō Sharingan, as demonstrated when Madara maintained his Susano'o even when his Rinnegan is the eye jutsu being currently activated. Nagato, however, never used a Mangekyō Sharingan ability throughout his entire appearance in the series, possibly because he gained the Rinnegan through transplanting and not through evolutionary means.
The Summoning Jutsu (口寄せの術 Kuchiyose no Jutsu?) allows a ninja to summon anything to their side. One common use for Summoning Jutsus are calling in creatures to fight by the summoner's side. Before such a summon can be performed, a ninja must first sign a contract with the creature in their own blood. Even after that they need only perform the proper hand-seals and press their hand to the ground, offering an additional donation of blood while providing an appropriate amount of chakra to bring the creature to their location. The Summoning Jutsu has been used by a number of different characters during the series, each of whom summons a different type of creature: The most common summons being the toads of Mount Myoboku and snakes. Other summons include, tortoises, hawks, dogs, and various other creatures. But as seen in Part II, the Summoning Jutsu can work both ways with a creature bringing its summoner to its location.
Shonen Jump has featured several popularity polls for jutsu in the series. In every official poll, Rasengan has ranked first, and Chidori has ranked second. These results were reversed in a similar poll in the first Naruto databook, in which Chidori was ranked first, and Rasengan second. In a top ten list of jutsu compiled by IGN's Ramsey Isler, Rasengan was ranked first, and Chidori second. Several pieces of merchandise have been released featuring Naruto characters performing jutsu, including action figures and clothing.
Several publications for anime and manga have commented on the use of jutsu in the series. IGN called jutsu "one of the most entertaining parts of the Naruto franchise", and noted that "the complicated but impressive-looking hand gestures, the unique physical attributes, and the pure unadulterated destructive power of the ninjutsu are some of the things that make the series wildly popular". T.H.E.M. Anime Reviews claimed that it was in "fight/action scenes that Naruto receives is highest accolades", and praised the "invigorating and unique fighting styles/techniques [that] manage to continuously infuse action sets with life". However, it criticized the "overemployment of certain special techniques" such as Naruto Uzumaki's Shadow Clone Technique, noting that the fights became "bland and repetitive" over time. Anime News Network (ANN) considered the structure of battles "repetitive to a fault — a series of competing power-ups followed by an elegiac coda", but mollified by the series' "winning formula: the villains are vile, the heroes sympathetic, and the stakes high".
In a review of the eighth through tenth volumes of the manga, ANN lambasted the fact the fights were frequently "interrupted by long-winded (and sometimes redundant) explanations of strategies and special techniques", but praised the visual presentation of the fights, noting that "the fights are staged with a clear eye for geography, movement and the human form, and are bursting with so much visual energy that not even the flashbacks and tedious explanations can dampen them". For the visuals in the anime, ANN made note of the fight between Naruto Uzumaki and Sasuke Uchiha in episodes 132–134, noting the "impressiveness of the Sasuke fight's visuals", in which "Naruto clones explode from a lake like ninja-shaped surface-to-air missiles and glowing energy limbs ambush enemies from underground and cling to rock faces like neon prehensile tails". Although ANN praised the animators who "put all the love they could into the fight", it criticized the slow plot pacing that led up to the fight, and the fight's tedious structure.
- "Masashi Kishimoto Interview - Naruto Information". narutocentral.com. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- Tucker, Derrick. "Naruto Review". T.H.E.M. Anime Reviews. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- Kimlinger, Carl (2008-08-04). "Naruto DVD Box Set 9 - Review". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- Kimlinger, Carl (2006-11-02). "Naruto GN 8-10 - Review". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- Kimlinger, Carl (2008-11-07). "Naruto DVD Box Set 10 - Review". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- Shonen Jump #33 Volume 3, Issue 9, September 2005. Viz Media. p. 8.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2003). "Chapter 17". Naruto, Volume 2. Viz Media. ISBN 1-59116-178-9.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2006). "Chapter 79". Naruto, Volume 9. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-0239-9.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2006). "Chapter 315". Naruto, Volume 35. Shueisha. ISBN 4-08-874273-7.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 333". Naruto, Volume 37. Shueisha. ISBN 978-4-08-874338-7.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2006). "Chapter 316". Naruto, Volume 35. Shueisha. ISBN 4-08-874273-7.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2006). "Chapter 85". Naruto, Volume 10. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-0240-2.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2008). "Chapter 258". Naruto, Volume 29. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1865-1.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2002). "Jutsu". NARUTO―ナルト―［秘伝・臨の書］. Shueisha. pp. 154–162. ISBN 4-08-873288-X.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2008). "Chapter 410". Naruto, Volume 44. Shueisha. ISBN 978-4-08-874589-3.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2008). "Chapter 259". Naruto, Volume 29. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1865-1.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 208". Naruto, Volume 23. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1859-7.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 113". Naruto, Volume 13. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1087-1.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 240". Naruto, Volume 27. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1863-5.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 128". Naruto, Volume 15. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1089-8.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 114". Naruto, Volume 13. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1087-1.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 358". Naruto, Volume 39. Shueisha. ISBN 4-08-874364-4.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2000). "Chapter 24". Naruto, Volume 3. Shueisha. ISBN 978-4-08-872898-8.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2005). "Chapter 247". Naruto, Volume 28. Shueisha. ISBN 4-08-873828-4.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2008). "Chapter 268". Naruto, Volume 30. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1942-9.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2010). "Chapter 463". Naruto, Volume 49. Shueisha. ISBN 978-4-08-874784-2.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2010). "Chapter 464". Naruto, Volume 50. Shueisha. ISBN 978-4-08-870011-3.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2010). "Chapter 466". Naruto, Volume 50. Shueisha. ISBN 978-4-08-870011-3.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2011). "Chapter 522". Naruto, Volume 55. Shueisha. ISBN 978-4-08-870185-1.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 120". Naruto, Volume 14. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1088-X.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2008). "Chapter 293". Naruto, Volume 33. Viz Media. ISBN 978-1-4215-2001-8.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2008). "Chapter 297". Naruto, Volume 33. Viz Media. ISBN 978-1-4215-2001-8.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 349". Naruto, Volume 38. Shueisha. ISBN 978-4-08-874364-6.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 184". Naruto, Volume 21. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1855-4.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2005). "Chapter 50". Naruto, Volume 6. Viz Media. ISBN 1-59116-739-6.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 351". Naruto, Volume 39. Shueisha. ISBN 4-08-874364-4.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2008). "Chapter 272". Naruto, Volume 31. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1943-7.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2008). "Chapter 265". Naruto, Volume 30. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1942-9.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2008). "Chapter 250". Naruto, Volume 28. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1864-3.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 321". Naruto, Volume 36. Shueisha. ISBN 4-08-874288-5.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 143". Naruto, Volume 16. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1090-1.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 155". Naruto, Volume 18. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1653-5.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 167". Naruto, Volume 19. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1654-3.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2008). "Chapter 260". Naruto, Volume 29. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1865-1.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 339". Naruto, Volume 37. Shueisha. ISBN 978-4-08-874338-7.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2012). "Chapter 2: Konohamaru". Naruto 3-in-1, Volume 1. Viz Media. pp. 76–80. ISBN 9781421539898.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2006). "Chapter 100". Naruto, Volume 12. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-0242-9.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2012). "Chapter 2: Konohamaru". Naruto 3-in-1, Volume 1. Viz Media. pp. 76–80. ISBN 9781421539898.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2006). "Chapter 78". Naruto, Volume 9. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-0239-9.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 195". Naruto, Volume 22. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1858-9.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2008). "Chapter 263". Naruto, Volume 30. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1942-9.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2006). "Chapter 102". Naruto, Volume 12. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-0242-9.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2004). "Chapter 27". Naruto, Volume 3. Viz Media. ISBN 1-59116-187-8.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 243". Naruto, Volume 27. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1863-5.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 142". Naruto, Volume 16. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1090-1.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2003). "Chapter 12". Naruto, Volume 2. Viz Media. ISBN 1-59116-178-9.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 147". Naruto, Volume 17. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1652-7.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 225". Naruto, Volume 25. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-1861-9.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2008). "Chapter 386". Naruto, Volume 42. Shueisha. ISBN 978-4-08-874512-1.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2008). Naruto Character Official Data Book Hiden Sha no Sho. Shueisha. pp. 194–195. ISBN 978-4-08-874247-2.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2008). "Chapter 385". Naruto, Volume 42. Shueisha. ISBN 978-4-08-874512-1.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2006). "Chapter 92". Naruto, Volume 11. Viz Media. ISBN 1-4215-0241-0.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2008). "Chapter 409". Naruto, Volume 44. Shueisha. ISBN 978-4-08-874589-3.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2007). "Chapter 199". Naruto, Volume 22. Viz Media. pp. 1–2. ISBN 1-4215-1858-9.
- Kishimoto, Masashi (2002). "Jutsu Poll". First Official Data Book. Shueishia. p. 227. ISBN 4-08-873288-X.
- Isler, Ramsey (2007-12-14). "Top Ten Naruto Techniques - Page 2". IGN.
- "Naruto - Toys - Kakashi Art of Substitution Deluxe Figure". Viz Media. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- "Naruto - Action Figures - Insect Attack Shino". Viz Media. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- "Naruto - Clothing - Sasuke Transform T-Shirt". Viz Media. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- "Naruto - Sexy Jutsu T-Shirt". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- "Naruto - Clone Jutsu Youth T-Shirt". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- Isler, Ramsey (2007-12-14). "Top Ten Naruto Techniques - Page 1". IGN.