List of tallest buildings in New Orleans
The city of New Orleans, Louisiana, United States, is the site of 106 completed high-rises, 36 of which stand taller than 250 feet (76 m). The tallest building in the city is One Shell Square, which rises 697 feet (212 m) in the New Orleans Central Business District and was completed in 1972. It also stands as the tallest building in the state of Louisiana. The second-tallest skyscraper in the city is Place St. Charles, which rises 645 feet (197 m). Nine of the ten tallest buildings in Louisiana are located in New Orleans.
The history of skyscrapers in New Orleans began with the construction of the Hennan Building in 1895; this building, rising 158 feet (48 m), is often regarded as the first skyscraper in New Orleans. The 20-story Hibernia Bank Building, constructed in 1921 at a height of 211 feet (64 m), held the title of the tallest in New Orleans for 44 years. But, for most of the 20th century, the skyline of New Orleans consisted of only low and mid-rise structures. The soft soils of New Orleans are susceptible to subsidence, and there was doubt about the feasibility of constructing large high-rises in such an environment. This trend was broken with the construction of the World Trade Center in 1967. The Plaza Tower, completed in 1969, was the first building to exceed 500 feet (152 m). Shortly thereafter, One Shell Square took its place as the city's tallest building in 1972. The oil boom of the late 1970s and early 1980s led to more construction of high-rises in New Orleans, with the completion of 17 of the city's 40 tallest buildings. Today, the high-rises of New Orleans are clustered along Canal Street and Poydras Street in the Central Business District. Poydras Street in particular has emerged as the city's principal high-rise corridor.
As New Orleans continues to recover from Hurricane Katrina, various projects have been proposed but increasing material and labor costs have eliminated some. The tallest tower approved for construction in the city was Trump International Hotel & Tower; upon completion it would have become the tallest building in New Orleans at a height of 842 feet (257 m), but construction was delayed and eventually cancelled in 2011. Phase 3 of Canal Place is another skyscraper proposed for construction in the city. In addition, while not new constructions, many of the older buildings in the central business district are undergoing renovations to condominium, apartment and hotel towers; these projects include the National American Bank Building.
This lists ranks New Orleans skyscrapers that stand at least 250 feet (76 m) tall, based on standard height measurement. This includes spires and architectural details but does not include antenna masts. An equal sign (=) following a rank indicates the same height between two or more buildings. The "Year" column indicates the year in which a building was completed.
|1||One Shell Square||697 (212)||51||1972||Has been the tallest building in New Orleans and Louisiana since 1972; tallest building in the Southeastern United States at the time of its completion; first Southeastern skyscraper to rise higher than 656 feet (200 m); tallest building constructed in the city in the 1970s|
|2||Place St. Charles||645 (197)||53||1984||Has more floors than any other building in the city; tallest building constructed in New Orleans in the 1980s|
|3||Plaza Tower||531 (162)||45||1969||Tallest building constructed in the city in the 1960s; since 2002 the tallest unused building in the city.|
|4||Energy Centre||—||530 (160)||39||1984|||
|5||First Bank and Trust Tower||481 (147)||36||1987|||
|6||Sheraton New Orleans||479 (146)||48||1982||Tallest building used exclusively as a hotel in New Orleans|
|7||New Orleans Marriott||449 (137)||42||1972||Tallest building on the downriver side of Canal Street|
|8||400 Poydras Tower||—||442 (135)||32||1983|||
|9||One Canal Place||440 (130)||32||1979|||
|10||1010 Common||438 (134)||31||1970|||
|11||2 Canal Street||407 (124)||33||1967|||
|12||Benson Tower||406 (124)||26||1989|||
|13||JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans||386 (118)||30||1984|||
|14||The Westin New Orleans Canal Place||373 (114)||29||1983|||
|15||225 Baronne Street||362 (110)||29||1965|||
|16||Hyatt Regency New Orleans||—||361 (110)||27||1976|||
|17||Entergy Tower||360 (110)||28||1983|||
|18||Hibernia Bank Building||355 (108)||20||1921||Tallest building constructed in New Orleans in the 1920s|
|19||1250 Poydras Plaza||—||342 (104)||24||1979|||
|20=||Hilton New Orleans Riverside||341 (104)||29||1977|||
|20=||1515 Poydras||—||341 (104)||29||1984|||
|22||National American Bank Building||330 (100)||23||1929|||
|23||Harrah's New Orleans - Poydras Street Hotel||327 (100)||26||2006||Tallest building constructed in the city in the 2000s|
|24||Pan American Life Center||322 (98)||27||1980|||
|25||Poydras Center||—||300 (91)||28||1983|||
|26||1440 Canal||—||288 (88)||21||1972|||
|27||Orleans Tower||—||280 (85)||20||1977|||
|28=||Charity Hospital||279 (85)||20||1939||Tallest building constructed in the city in the 1930s; tallest hospital in New Orleans|
|28=||Le Méridien New Orleans||279 (85)||23||1984|||
|30=||Loews New Orleans Hotel||—||276 (84)||22||1972|||
|30=||Freeport McMoRan Building||—||276 (84)||23||1984|||
|32||Mercedes-Benz Superdome||273 (83)||—||1972|||
|33||930 Poydras||—||270 (82)||21||2010||Tallest building constructed in the city in the 2010s; most recently completed skyscraper in the city.|
|34||1555 Poydras||—||262 (80)||22||1984|||
|35||Windsor Court Hotel||—||253 (77)||22||1984|||
|36||First National Bank of Commerce Building||—||252 (77)||19||1927|||
Tallest under construction, approved and proposed
This lists buildings that are under construction, approved for construction or proposed for construction in New Orleans and are planned to rise at least 250 feet (76 m), but are not yet completed structures. Under construction buildings that have already been topped out are also included.
|Trump International Hotel & Tower||842 (257)||69||—||Dead||Would have stood as the tallest building in New Orleans and Louisiana upon completion; the project was ultimately declared dead.|
|Parc at Rampart||—||30||—||Proposed|||
|Commerce at Girod Condo Tower||367 (112)||28||—||Dead|||
|Three Canal Place||340 (100)||—||—||Proposed|||
|Tracage||288 (88)||24||2015||Under construction||Under construction.|
|Royal Cosmopolitan||268 (82)||26||—||Dead||Despite the project getting approved, plans for the Royal Cosmopolitan to be completed in 2009 were delayed and eventually cancelled in 2011.|
* Table entries with dashes (—) indicate that information regarding building heights, floor counts, or dates of completion has not yet been released.
Timeline of tallest buildings
This lists buildings that once held the title of tallest building in New Orleans as well as the current titleholder, One Shell Square.
|Name||Street address||Years as tallest||Height
|Best Western St. Christopher Hotel||114 Magazine Street||1893–1895||117 (36)||8|||
|Hennen Building||203 Carondelet Street||1895–1904||158 (48)||11|||
|Hampton Inn New Orleans Downtown||226 Carondelet Street||1904–1907||190 (58)||13|||
|The Roosevelt Hotel New Orleans||123 Baronne Street||1907–1921||211 (64)||15|||
|Hibernia Bank Building||812 Gravier Street||1921–1965||355 (108)||20|||
|225 Baronne Street||225 Baronne Street||1965–1967||362 (110)||29|||
|World Trade Center New Orleans||2 Canal Street||1967–1969||407 (124)||33|||
|Plaza Tower||1001 Howard Avenue||1969–1972||531 (162)||45|||
|One Shell Square||701 Poydras Street||1972–present||697 (212)||51|||
Tallest buildings in suburban communities of New Orleans
This list ranks buildings in the suburban municipalities of New Orleans that stand at least 190 feet (58 m) tall, based on standard height measurement. A few high-rise buildings are located in the New Orleans suburb of Metairie, Louisiana, an unincorporated area of Jefferson Parish.
|1||Three Lakeway Center||Metairie||403 (123)||34||1987||Tallest building in Metairie and Jefferson Parish. Tallest building in Louisiana outside of New Orleans and Baton Rouge.|
|2||The Galleria||Metairie||269 (82)||21||1986|||
|3||Two Lakeway Center||Metairie||259 (79)||19||1983|||
|4||Heritage Plaza||Metairie||245 (75)||18||1983|||
|5||Executive Tower One||Metairie||204 (62)||14||1972|||
|6||One Lakeway Center||Metairie||193 (59)||14||1982|||
- Emporis.com - New Orleans
- Emporis.com - Metairie
- Diagram of New Orleans skyscrapers on SkyscraperPage
- "New Orleans". Emporis.com.
- One Shell Square at SkyscraperPage
- Place St. Charles at SkyscraperPage
- Latter & Blum Building at SkyscraperPage
- "Central Business District Neighborhood Snapshot". Greater New Orleans Nonprofit Knowledge Works. Retrieved 2008-03-15.
- Hibernia Bank Building at SkyscraperPage
- Steedman, Dr. Scott. "Investigating New Orleans". Ingenia Online. The Royal Academy of Engineering. Retrieved 2008-03-15.
- World Trade Center New Orleans at SkyscraperPage
- Crescent City Residences at SkyscraperPage
- Thomas, Greg (2006-06-11). "Post-Katrina New Orleans Welcoming High-Rises". FacilityBlog. Times-Picayune Publishing Company. Archived from the original on 2008-02-19. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- "Life After Katrina: Reflecting, Rebuilding Continue on the Gulf Coast". EconSouth (First Quarter 2006). Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta. Retrieved 2008-03-16.
- "Trump International Hotel & Tower New Orleans". Emporis.com. Retrieved 2008-06-12.
- One Shell Square at Emporis
- Capital One Tower at Emporis
- Plaza Tower at Emporis
- Energy Centre at SkyscraperPage
- Energy Centre at Emporis
- LL&E Tower at SkyscraperPage
- First Bank & Trust Tower at Emporis
- Sheraton New Orleans at SkyscraperPage
- Sheraton New Orleans at Emporis
- New Orleans Marriott at SkyscraperPage
- New Orleans Marriott at Emporis
- Texaco Center at SkyscraperPage
- Texaco Center at Emporis
- One Canal Place at SkyscraperPage
- One Canal Place at Emporis
- 1010 Common at SkyscraperPage
- 1010 Common at Emporis
- World Trade Center New Orleans at Emporis
- Benson Tower at SkyscraperPage
- Benson Tower at Emporis
- JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans at SkyscraperPage
- JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans at Emporis
- Wyndham New Orleans at SkyscraperPage
- The Westin New Orleans Canal Place at Emporis
- 225 Baronne Street at SkyscraperPage
- 225 Baronne Street at Emporis
- "Downtown office buildings to be converted into apartments, retail space". The Times-Picayune. 2007-09-07. Retrieved 2007-12-09.
- Hyatt Regency New Orleans at SkyscraperPage
- Hyatt Regency New Orleans at Emporis
- Entergy Tower at SkyscraperPage
- Entergy Tower at Emporis
- Capital One Bank Building at Emporis
- 1250 Poydras Plaza at SkyscraperPage
- 1250 Poydras Plaza at Emporis
- Hilton New Orleans Riverside at SkyscraperPage
- Hilton New Orleans Riverside at Emporis
- 1515 Poydras at SkyscraperPage
- 1515 Poydras at Emporis
- National American Bank Building at SkyscraperPage
- 200 Carondelet at Emporis
- Harrah's New Orleans - Poydras Street Hotel at SkyscraperPage
- Harrah's New Orleans - Poydras Street Hotel at Emporis
- Pan American Life Building at SkyscraperPage
- Pan American Life Center at Emporis
- Poydras Center at SkyscraperPage
- Poydras Center at Emporis
- 1440 Canal at SkyscraperPage
- 1440 Canal at Emporis
- Amoco Building at SkyscraperPage
- Amoco Building at Emporis
- Medical Center of Louisiana Charity Hospital at SkyscraperPage
- Medical Center of Louisiana Charity Hospital at Emporis
- W New Orleans at SkyscraperPage
- W New Orleans at Emporis
- Loews New Orleans Hotel at SkyscraperPage
- Loews New Orleans Hotel at Emporis
- Freeport McMoRan Building at SkyscraperPage
- Freeport McMoRan Building at Emporis
- "Louisiana Superdome". SMG. Retrieved 2007-11-24.
- Louisiana Superdome at SkyscraperPage
- Mercedes-Benz Superdome at Emporis
- 930 Poydras at SkyscraperPage
- 930 Poydras at Emporis
- "New apartment building taking shape in central business district". Nola.com. July 25, 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-02.
- 1555 Poydras Street at SkyscraperPage
- 1555 Poydras Street at Emporis
- Windsor Court Hotel at SkyscraperPage
- Windsor Court Hotel at Emporis
- First National Bank of Commerce Building at SkyscraperPage
- First National Bank of Commerce Building at Emporis
- Christian Moises (2007-12-07). "Trump’s N.O. tower on track". New Orleans CityBusiness. Retrieved 2007-12-09.[dead link]
- "Development Projects". Apartment Development Services, Ltd. Retrieved 2007-12-10.
- "Commerce at Girod Condo Tower". Emporis.com. Retrieved 2007-12-09.
- Three Canal Place at Emporis
- "The Berger Company, Inc.". Darryl Berger. Retrieved 2007-11-24.
- "Canal Place hotel proposed". The Times-Picayune. 2007-08-11. Retrieved 2007-12-09.
- Tracage at SkyscraperPage
- Tracage at Emporis
- Royal Cosmopolitan at Emporis
- "New Orleans Developers Announce Plans for Royal Cosmopolitan, Louisiana's First Condominium Hotel". New Orleans Convention & Visitors Bureau. Retrieved 2007-12-09.
- Best Western St. Christopher Hotel at Emporis
- Latter & Blum Building at Emporis
- Hampton Inn New Orleans Downtown at Emporis
- The Fairmont New Orleans at SkyscraperPage
- Waldorf-Astoria New Orleans at Emporis
- Three Lakeway Center at SkyscraperPage
- Three Lakeway Center at Emporis
- The Galleria at SkyscraperPage
- The Galleria at Emporis
- Two Lakeway Center at SkyscraperPage
- Two Lakeway Center at Emporis
- Heritage Plaza at SkyscraperPage
- Heritage Plaza at Emporis
- Executive Tower I at SkyscraperPage
- Executive Tower I at Emporis
- "Executive Office Tower". Loopnet.com. Retrieved 2007-11-24.
- One Lakeway Center at SkyscraperPage
- One Lakeway Center at Emporis