List of truck types
- For meanings of the word truck see also: Truck (disambiguation).
This list is intended to classify trucks and to provide links to articles on the various types. The three main classifications for road truck by weight are light trucks, medium trucks, and heavy trucks. Above this there are specialised very heavy trucks and transporters such as heavy haulers for moving oversized loads, and off-road heavy trucks used in and mining which are too large for highway use without escorts and special permits.
In the UK, trucks (lorries) are defined by the driving licence required. Heavy Goods Vehicles is a term normally applied to vehicles greater than 7½ tonnes. Drivers who passed their car test before 1997 can drive vehicles up to 7½ tonnes (8¼ tonnes combined with trailer), whereas car drivers who passed their test on or after 1 January 1997 are limited by EU Directive 91/439/EEC to "Category B" vehicles (having a Maximum Authorised Mass of 3½ tonnes).
- Sport utility vehicle
- Canopy express
- Pickup truck
- Panel truck
- Tow truck (may also be a medium or heavy truck)
- Panel van
- Sedan delivery
Some of the truck types listed under heavy trucks may also come in medium sizes. In North America, a medium-duty truck is larger than a heavy-duty pickup truck or full-size van.
- Box truck
- Cutaway van chassis
- Medium Duty Truck such as Ford F-650 in North America
- Medium Standard Truck
- Platform truck
- Flatbed truck (may also be light duty trucks)
- Firetruck (may also be a heavy truck)
- Recreational Vehicle or Motorhome
The following are not types of trucks but types of use of the trucks listed above:
Except for semi-trailer trucks and, generally, mobile cranes, the following types may also come in medium sizes.
- Ballast tractor
- Concrete transport truck (cement mixer)
- Crane truck or mobile crane or truck-mounted crane
- Dump truck
- Garbage truck
- Log carrier
- Refrigerator truck
- Semi-trailer truck also known in British English as "Artic" for 'articulated lorry'
- Tank truck or tanker or tanker lorry in British English (can also be a Medium truck)
Very heavy trucks and transporters
Vehicles in this category are too large for highway use without escorts and special permits.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Trucks by type.|