List of unused highways in Illinois
An unused highway may reference a highway or highway ramp that was partially or fully constructed but was unused or later closed. An unused ramp can be referred to as a stub ramp, stub street, stub-out, or simply stub. The following is a list:
- Downtown, the ramps onto northbound and southbound Interstate 90/Interstate 94 (Kennedy Expressway) from Washington Boulevard were disconnected, leaving stubs descending onto the expressway.  The same was done to the Monroe Street ramps. 
- There are stubs and grading in the median of Interstate 72 northwest of the city for a planned but never built connection with Interstate 39. There is also grading north of this proposed interchange where crops are no longer planted. 
- As a result of decommissioning U.S. Route 460, there are stubs at the end of the Tudor Avenue exit from Interstate 70/64/55. 
- The continued development on the southeast corner of Halsted St and 63rd St near the Englewood Shopping Center led to the near-full demolition of the Halsted Parkway , among other streets in the area, as shown on this Google map . The road was fully demolished until its intersection with 63rd St. The only remnants of the demolished part of the street are small slabs of pavement on a walkway (Which once was a small section of 64th St.), and the curved edges on some of the parking lots. The only fully remaining parts of the parkway have since been realigned and renamed 63rd Parkway.
- There are entrance and exit ramps to Illinois 336 and an underpass under the BNSF Railway that are planned for an extension of Illinois 336 around the north side of Macomb. 
- At the northern end of Illinois Route 6 (an extension of Interstate 474), there is an interchange in which all northbound traffic is diverted to Illinois Route 29 and the freeway begins for traffic going southbound. Currently, the main traffic lanes extend north past the intersection and a southbound-to-eastbound exit exists (but does not connect to the mainline, yet ). All ramps leading to and from the traffic lanes north of the intersection are present, though the westbound-to-northbound ramp does not yet connect, either. There are plans to extend Illinois Route 6 north beyond Chillicothe to Interstate 180 as Illinois Route 29. 
- East of Interstate 474 at the New Farmington Road/Maxwell Connector interchange, stubs exist on the mainline. The expressway west of the interstate is slated to eventually carry Illinois Route 336. However, the only part finished is a short stretch connecting I-474 with Maxwell Road to the west. The freeway continues past the completed ramps to I-474, but is closed and just dies in the grass. The Illinois Department of Transportation does not have the road continuing east of I-474 as of right now. 
- There used to be a ramp taking west-bound traffic off the McClugage Bridge and to northbound Illinois Route 29. This ramp was removed prior to 1998. However, the bridge still has part of the ramp attached (hereWebcam, click on 'Western Ramp' or here). The new design extended the exit to NE Adams Street west compared to the old configuration , probably making the curve of the exit ramp safer.
- The Wallenberg Expressway (originally known as the Woodruff Expressway) was designed in the 1970s to go northward at the interchage of Interstate 39 and U.S. Route 20 into downtown Rockford. The highway would have been built northwest along Woodruff Avenue in Rockford but was axed due to community opposition. As a result of the road being cancelled, a short stub exists where the mainline would be coming from the north.  North of the stub, grading exists for the road, as well as a cloverleaf ramp that was to go to northbound I-39 and eastbound U.S. 20 and a ramp to westbound U.S. 20. The only part of the road built is now a ramp from I-39 to westbound U.S. 20. The ramp has an extra wide shoulder, the result of combining the former mainline and the ramp, and grading for a cloverleaf ramp from eastbound U.S. 20 to the road that was to go north also exists. 
- Interstate 72 once temporarily ended just southeast of its interchange with Interstate 172. This was due to the substandard Mississippi River crossing that U.S. Route 36 used to enter Missouri. Once the new Mark Twain Memorial Bridge was constructed north of the old bridge, the former alignment of U.S. 36 was decommissioned. Much of the old road is still in use but dead-ends at the river. An on-ramp from Illinois 106 headed east more or less now lies on the former roadbed. 
- "US&R and NY-TF1 Practice for the Real Thing." City of New York 20 June 2005. 15 Jan. 2007 .
- "Kentucky Model Access Management Ordinance." Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Oct. 2004. 15 Jan. 2007 .
- "Barrie (City) v. 1606533 Ontario Inc.", 2005 CanLII 24746 (ON S.C.). 15 Jan. 2007 .
- Iowa House. 1998. House File 686., 77th, H.R. 0686.  .
- "PETITIONED PUBLIC HEALTH ASSESSMENT." New York City. 15 Jan. 2007 .
- House. 1993. LAND TITLE AMENDMENT ACT, 1993. 35th Parliament, 2nd sess., H.R. 78. .
- Munroe, Tapan. "TRENDS ANALYSIS for PARKS & RECREATION: 2000 AND BEYOND." California Park & Recreation Society Jan. 1999. 15 Jan. 2007 
- "Chapter 5: Detailed Comparison of Alternatives – Seattle." SR 520 Bridge Replacement and HOV Project, Washington Department of Transportation, 2 May. 2005. 15 Jan. 2007  .
- Anderson, Steve. "CT 11 Expressway." New York City Roads. 15 Jan. 2007 .
- "Leasing of Closed Highways Regulation", Alta. Reg. 36/1986. 15 Jan. 2007 .
- "R. v. Sanders", 2004 NBPC 12 (CanLII). 15 Jan. 2007 .
- "HIGHWAY CLOSINGS", R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 599. 15 Jan. 2007 .
- PDF (286 KiB), accessed December 28, 2006
- Sommer, Dick. "Ten Ways to Manage Roadway Access in Your Community." Ohio Department of Transportation, 2005. 15 Jan. 2007 .
- Bauserman, Christian E. "DELAWARE COUNTY ENGINEER’S DESIGN, CONSTRUCTION & SURVEYING STANDARDS." 18 May, 1998. 15 Jan. 2007 .
- Geiger, Gene. "Ohio DOT Constructs I-670 over a Water Treatment Sludge Lagoon in Columbus." Ohio LTAP Quarterly. Ohio Department of Transportation. 15:3 (1999) .
- "CITY OF UNION, KENTUCKY." City of Union, Kentucky 23 June 2006. 15 Jan. 2007 .
- Burmaster, Bill. "Interstate 72, Illinois". Roads of the Mid-South & West.
- "Cancelled US 460 Freeway Through East St. Louis". Revive 755.
- Burmaster, Bill. "Illinois State Route 6". Roads of the Mid-South & West.
- "Illinois Route 29 Study". Illinois Department of Transportation.
- "Illinois 336: Peoria to Macomb Study". Illinois Department of Transportation.
- "Peoria, Illinois, United States 4/12/1998". TerraServerUSA.
- "Peoria Journal Star BridgeCam".
- Boudreu, Charleen. "The eastbound approach to the McClugage Bridge". U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration and Illinois Department of Transportation.
- "RATS Resolution 2006-3".
- Carlson, Rich. "Illinois Highways Page".
- Burmaster, Bill. "Interstate 172". roads.billburmaster.com/.