List of villages in Ontario
Ontario has 11 villages that had a cumulative population of 13,558 and an average population of 1,233 in the 2011 Census. Ontario's largest and smallest villages are Casselman and Thornloe with populations of 3,626 and 123 respectively.
Under the former Municipal Act, 1990, a village was both an urban and a local municipality. Under this former legislation, a locality with a population of 500 or more could have been incorporated as a village by Ontario's Municipal Board upon review of an application from 75 or more residents of the locality.
In the transition to the Municipal Act, 2001, the above designations and requirements were abandoned and, as at December 31, 2002, every village that:
- "existed and formed part of a county, a regional or district municipality or the County of Oxford for municipal purposes" became a lower-tier municipality yet retained its name as a village; and
- "existed and did not form part of a county, a regional or district municipality or the County of Oxford for municipal purposes" became a single-tier municipality yet retained its name as a village.
The current legislation also provides lower and single-tier municipalities with the authority to name themselves as "villages", or other former municipal status types such as "cities", "towns" or "townships", or generically as "municipalities".
|Burk's Falls||Single-tier||Parry Sound||967||893||8.3||3.12||309.9|
|Casselman||Lower-tier||Prescott and Russell||3,626||3,275||10.7||5.17||701.5|
|Merrickville-Wolford||Lower-tier||Leeds and Grenville||2,850||2,867||−0.6||214.49||13.3|
|South River||Single-tier||Parry Sound||1,049||1,069||−1.9||4.04||259.5|
|Westport||Lower-tier||Leeds and Grenville||628||645||−2.6||1.71||366.5|
- List of cities in Ontario
- List of communities in Ontario
- List of municipalities in Ontario
- List of towns in Ontario
- List of township municipalities in Ontario
- "List of Ontario Municipalities". Ontario Municipal Affairs and Housing. September 21, 2012. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2011 and 2006 censuses (Ontario)". Statistics Canada. May 28, 2012. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- "Municipal Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter M.45". Service Ontario. Retrieved June 29, 2013.
- "Municipal Act, S.O. 2001, Chapter 25". Service Ontario. Retrieved June 29, 2013.
- "The Municipal Councillor's Guide". Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing. Retrieved June 29, 2013.