List of volcanic eruptions by death toll
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010)|
Volcanic eruptions can be highly explosive, volatile, or neither. Certain volcanoes have undergone catastrophic eruptions, killing countless numbers of humans, and this list attempts to document those volcanic eruptions by death toll.
|Perhaps left only 3,000 humans alive on earth||Lake Toba (see also Toba catastrophe theory)||Indonesia||Between 69,000 and 77,000 years ago|
|102,000||Mount Tambora (see also Year Without a Summer)||Indonesia||1815|
|Unknown. May have contributed to the fall of Minoan civilization, famine in China, and the collapse of the Xia dynasty.||Santorini (see Minoan eruption) (aka Thera)||Greece||Between 1650 and 1500 BC|
|Unknown precisely: 6 million, including a million in Japan, a similar number in France, many in the rest of northern Europe and in Egypt. Killed 9,350 people in Iceland, about 25% of the island's population.||Laki (Grimsvötn)||Iceland||1783|
|Unknown. Possibly as many as two million, or one-third of the population, were killed in Russia; see Russian famine of 1601–1603||Huaynaputina||Peru||1600|
|23,000||Nevado del Ruiz||Colombia||1985|
|2,942||Mount Lamington||Papua New Guinea||1951|
|2,000||Tseax Cone||Canada||Around 1700|
|245||Nyiragongo||Democratic Republic of the Congo||2002|
|152||Mt Ruapehu, Tangiwai||New Zealand||1953|
|150||Mount Tarawera||New Zealand||1886|
|65||Mount Rainier||United States||1894|
|57||Mount St. Helens||United States||1980|
- List of disasters
- List of volcanic eruption deaths
- List of natural disasters by death toll
- List of large volcanic eruptions in the 21st century
- The summer of acid rain, The Economist, 19 December 2007.
- "Alert Level Lowered as Indonesia's Merapi Settles Down - The Jakarta Globe". The Jakarta Globe. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "IRIN Africa - ERITREA-ETHIOPIA: Thousands need aid after volcano eruption - Eritrea - Ethiopia - Early Warning - Environment - Natural Disasters". IRINnews. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "BBC News - Indonesia volcano Sinabung in deadly eruption". BBC News. Retrieved 1 October 2014.