List of wars involving Mexico
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This list includes the Pre-Hispanic wars in the territory which now comprises central Mexico prior to Spanish colonization. As Mexico did not existed as a nation, other present-day territories are not included.
- Pre-Columbian/Indigenous Tribal Warfare (B.C.–1600's), wars and battles by indigenous pre-Columbian civilizations and tribes in modern-day central Mexico and southern Mexico (Mesoamerica). Mainly by the Aztec, Maya, Tlaxcaltec, Zapotec, Toltec and Tarascan states.
- Spanish Invasion (1519–1521)
- Mexican Indian Wars (1519–1933)
- Yaqui Wars (1533–1929)
- Apache-Mexico Wars (Spain: 1600s–1821, Mexico: 1821–1915), raids and conflicts between Spanish Mexico and the Apaches, and Mexico and the Apaches. Part of the Mexican Indian Wars.
- Comanche-Mexico Wars, part of the Mexican Indian Wars.
- Caste War of Yucatán (1847–1901)
- Mexican War of Independence (1810–1821)
- Spanish reconquest of Mexico (1821–1829), a series of attempts by Spain to thwart the independence of Mexico
- The Era of Mexican Coups (1820s–1846), several states create their own militia to fight the Mexican government and gain independence. Several states openly rebelled against Santa Anna's Mexico: Coahuila y Tejas (the northern part of which would become the Republic of Texas), San Luis Potosí, Querétaro, Durango, Guanajuato, Michoacán, Yucatán, Jalisco, Nuevo León, Tabasco, Tamaulipas, and Zacatecas. Several of these states formed their own governments, the Republic of the Rio Grande, the Republic of Yucatan (Twice), and the Republic of Texas. (Only the Texans defeated Santa Anna and retained their independence).
- Central American Federation War of Independence (1822–1823), the brief First Mexican Empire under Emperor Iturbide lost control of Central America in a short war in which the United Provinces of Central America became an independent nation.
- Texas Revolution (1835–1836)
- Caste War of Yucatán (1847–1901)
- Pastry War (1838–1839), the first French invasion of Mexico
- Mexican–American War (1846–1848)
- Reform War (1857–1861), civil war between Conservatives and Liberals
- French intervention in Mexico (1861–1867), the second French invasion of Mexico
- Las Cuevas War (1875), a brief armed conflict between a force of Texas Rangers commanded by Capt. Leander McNelly and an irregular force of Mexican militia
- Garza Revolution (1891–1893), a minor rebellion in which Mexicans from Texas raided into Coahuila, Mexico.
- Mexican Revolution (1910–1921), civil war
- Border War (1910–1918), Banana Wars, World War I, referring to the conflicts between the United States military and Mexico which took place roughly between 1910 and 1918 along the Mexico – United States border and Veracruz. Also Mexico and the German Empire against American forces. United States occupation of Veracruz, Battle of Columbus (1916), Battle of Parral, Battle of Carrizal, and Battle of Ambos Nogales were some notable engagements of these wars.
- Cristero War (1926–1929), civil war between Catholics and the anti-religious government
- Spanish Civil War (1936–1939)
- World War II (1942–1945)
- Mexico–Guatemala conflict (1958-1959)
- Dirty War (1968–1982)
- Zapatista Uprising (Armed Conflict: 1994–present), indigenous groups declare war against the Mexican Government
- EPR Marxist Guerrilla Conflict (1996–present), the Popular Revolutionary Army or Ejército Popular Revolucionario (EPR) formed in 1996 and promotes a Marxist philosophy. Several clashes with Mexican military forces in Oaxaca state followed the group's July 1996 declaration of war against the government. The EPR is believed to be connected to the pipeline attacks in June and September, 2007.
- Mexican Drug War (2006–present), Mexico's major war on drugs
|History of Mexico|
|Conflict||Combatant 1||Combatant 2||Results|
|Mexican War of Independence
Army of the Three Guarantees
|Spanish Reconquest of Mexico
|First Franco–Mexican War: Pastry War
|Caste War of Yucatán
|Second Franco–Mexican War
| United Mexican States
United States of America
Republic of Peru
| French Empire
|Las Cuevas War
|Counter-Revolutionary Forces||Revolutionary Forces||Revolutionary Victory|
| Mexican Carrancistas
|United States||Mexican Carransista/American Victory on Villista rebels
|Mexican Government||Cristeros||Government Ceasefire|
|Spanish Civil War
| Spanish Republicans
| Spanish Nationalists
|World War II
| Soviet Union
|Mexican Government||Guerrilla Groups||Government Victory
|Mexican Drug War
- "Wars of Mexico". Historyguy.com. 2012-09-29. Retrieved 2012-11-21.