List of wars involving Mexico
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The following is a list of wars involving Mexico:
- Pre-Columbian/Indigenous Tribal Warfare (?B.C.-1600's), wars and battles by indigenous pre-Columbian civilizations and tribes in modern-day Mexico. Mainly by the Aztec, Maya, Tlaxcaltec, Zapotec, Toltec and Tarascan states.
- Spanish Invasion (1519–1521)
- Mexican Indian Wars (1519-1933)
- Yaqui Wars (1533-1929)
- Apache-Mexico Wars (Spain: 1600s-1821, Mexico: 1821-1915), raids and conflicts between Spanish Mexico and the Apaches, and Mexico and the Apaches. Part of the Mexican Indian Wars.
- Comanche-Mexico Wars, part of the Mexican Indian Wars.
- Caste War of Yucatán (1847–1901)
- Mexican War of Independence (1810–1821)
- Spanish reconquest of Mexico (1821–1829), a series of attempts by Spain to thwart the independence of Mexico
- The Era of Mexican Coups (1820s-1846), Several states create their own militia to fight the Mexican government and gain independence. Several states openly rebelled against Santa Anna's Mexico: Coahuila y Tejas (the northern part of which would become the Republic of Texas), San Luis Potosí, Querétaro, Durango, Guanajuato, Michoacán, Yucatán, Jalisco, Nuevo León, Tabasco, Tamaulipas, and Zacatecas. Several of these states formed their own governments, the Republic of the Rio Grande, the Republic of Yucatan (Twice), and the Republic of Texas. (Only the Texans defeated Santa Anna and retained their independence).
- Central American Federation War of independence (1822–1823), The brief First Mexican Empire under Emperor Iturbide lost control of Central America in a short war in which the United Provinces of Central America became an independent nation.
- Texas Revolution (1835–1836)
- Caste War of Yucatán (1847–1901)
- Pastry War (1838–1839), the first French invasion of Mexico
- Mexican–American War (1846–1848)
- Reform War (1857–1861), civil war between Conservatives and Liberals
- French intervention in Mexico (1861–1867)
- Las Cuevas War (1875), a brief armed conflict between a force of Texas Rangers commanded by Capt. Leander McNelly and an irregular force of Mexican militia
- Garza Revolution (1891–1893), a minor rebellion in which Mexicans from Texas raided into Coahuila, Mexico.
- Mexican Revolution (1910–1921), civil war
- Border War (1910-1918), Banana Wars, World War I, referring to the conflicts between the United States military and Mexico which took place roughly between 1910 and 1918 along the Mexico – United States border and Veracruz. Also Mexico and the German Empire against U.S. forces. United States occupation of Veracruz, Battle of Columbus (1916), Battle of Parral, Battle of Carrizal, and Battle of Ambos Nogales were some notable engagement of these wars.
- Cristero War (1926–1929), civil war between Catholics and the non-religious government
- World War II (1942–1945)
- Dirty War (1968–1982)
- Zapatista Uprising (1994–Present ), indigenous groups declare war against the Mexican Government
- EPR Marxist Guerrilla Conflict (1996–Present), The Popular Revolutionary Army or Ejército Popular Revolucionario (EPR) formed in 1996 and promotes a Marxist philosophy. Several clashes with Mexican military forces in Oaxaca state followed the group's July 1996 declaration of war against the government. The EPR is believed to be connected to the pipeline attacks in June and September, 2007.
- Mexican Drug War (2006-Ongoing), Mexico's major war on drugs
- "Wars of Mexico". Historyguy.com. 2012-09-29. Retrieved 2012-11-21.