List of web directories
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The following is a list of Web directory services for which Wikipedia has articles.
- AboutUs.org – a wiki-based Web directory.
- Best of the Web Directory – Lists content-rich, well-designed Websites categorized both by topic and by region. This is a paid for service.
- JoeAnt – A community of editors from the now-defunct Go.com volunteer-edited directory.
- Internet Public Library – Librarian-edited directory, product of a merger with the Librarians' Internet Index (LII) in 2010
- Open Directory Project (a.k.a. ODP or dmoz) – The largest directory of the Web. Its open content is mirrored at many sites, including the Google Directory until July 20, 2011.
- Starting Point Directory – Founded in 1995, relaunched in 2006
- World Wide Web Virtual Library (VLIB) – The oldest directory of the Web.
- Yahoo! Directory – The first service that Yahoo! offered.
- Business.com – Business directory that charges a fee for review and operates as a Pay per click search engine.
- Biographicon – a directory of biographical entries
- LookSmart – Operated several vertical directories from 1995 to 2006.
- Google Directory
- Lycos' TOP 5% – From 1995 until 2000 it aimed to list the Web's top 5% of Websites.
- Zeal – Volunteer-built Web directory. It was introduced in 1999, acquired by LookSmart in 2000, and shut down in 2006.