Seeliger et al.
Listeria ivanovii is a species of bacteria in the genus Listeria. The listeria are rod-shaped bacteria and become positively stained when subjected to Gram staining. Of the six bacteria species within the genus, L. ivanovii is one of the two pathogenic species (the other being L. monocytogenes). It behaves like Listeria monocytogenes, but is found almost exclusively in ruminants (mainly sheep). The species is named in honor of Bulgarian microbiologist Ivan Ivanov.
L. ivanovii can be distinguished from L. monocytogenes and other Listeria species by culturing it on sheep or horse blood agar, which will produce a wide, clear or double zone of haemolysis, producing a so-called positive Christie-Atkins-Munch-Petersen (CAMP) reaction with Rhodococcus equi but not with haemolytic Staphylococcus aureus.
In January 2007, a 55-year old man was hospitalized in Paris, France. After examination he was thought to have listeriosis. Both blood and stool samples were taken. L. ivanovii was identified, thus characterizing the species as an enteric opportunistic human pathogen. As L. ivanovii is usually only found in ruminants and human infection is extremely rare, this infection can be seen as a form of zoonosis.
If diagnosed early, antibiotics can be effective. Antibiotics effective against Listeria species include ampicillin, vancomycin, ciprofloxacin and azithromycin. Early diagnosis is uncommon because infection is not usually accompanied by symptoms.
- Pallen, Mark J. (2007). Bacterial Pathogenomics. Washington, DC, USA: ASM Press. p. 361. ISBN 9781555814519.
- Christelle Guillet, Olivier Join-Lambert, Alban Le Monnier, Alexandre Leclercq, Frédéric Mechaï, Marie-France Mamzer-Bruneel, Magdalena K. Bielecka, Mariela Scortti, Olivier Disson, Patrick Berche, José Vazquez-Boland, Olivier Lortholary & Marc Lecuit (2010). "Human listeriosis caused by Listeria ivanovii" (PDF). Emerging Infectious Diseases 16 (1): 136–138. doi:10.3201/eid1601.091155. PMC 2874378. PMID 20031061.
- Seeliger HPR, Rocourt J, Schrettenbrunner A, Grimont PAD, Jones D. (1984). "Listeria ivanovii sp. nov." (PDF). International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology 34 (3): 336–7. doi:10.1099/00207713-34-3-336.
- Identification, subtyping and virulence determination of Listeria monocytogenes on the Journal of Medical Microbiology website
- PMID 9791184 Engelbrecht et al. on the PubMed website
- Listeria ivanovii on the MicrobeWiki of Kenyon Biology part of Kenyon College
- Listeria in the textbook of bacteriology on the Department of Bacteriology of the University of Wisconsin–Madison website