Litchfield, New York
|Litchfield, New York|
|• Total||29.7 sq mi (76.8 km2)|
|• Land||29.6 sq mi (76.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,496 ft (456 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0979156|
The Town of Litchfield is in the southwestern part of the county. This town is southeast of Utica.
Settlement began around 1786 at Wheelocks Hill.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 29.7 square miles (77 km2), of which, 29.6 square miles (77 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (0.17%) is water.
The west town line is the border of Oneida County.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,453 people, 515 households, and 399 families residing in the town. The population density was 49.1 people per square mile (18.9/km²). There were 670 housing units at an average density of 22.6 per square mile (8.7/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.62% White, 0.07% African American, 0.55% Native American, 0.21% Asian, 0.07% from other races, and 0.48% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.62% of the population.
There were 515 households out of which 39.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 67.0% were married couples living together, 5.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.5% were non-families. 17.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.82 and the average family size was 3.18.
In the town the population was spread out with 29.3% under the age of 18, 5.8% from 18 to 24, 29.4% from 25 to 44, 24.8% from 45 to 64, and 10.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 104.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 107.1 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $42,404, and the median income for a family was $48,750. Males had a median income of $30,163 versus $23,587 for females. The per capita income for the town was $16,431. About 5.3% of families and 9.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.3% of those under age 18 and 6.9% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations in Litchfield
- Cedar Lake – A hamlet in the western part of the town on County Road 170, north of a small lake of the same name.
- Cedarville – A hamlet at the southeast corner of the town on County Roads 18, 49, and 79.
- Cranes Corners – A hamlet in the northeastern part of the town on County Road 79.
- Days Corners – A hamlet north of Cedar Lake on County Road 107.
- Dry Hill – An elevation by the west town line.
- Goodiers Corners – A location northwest of Cedar Lake.
- Gulph – A hamlet at the north town line on County Road 171.
- Ilion Gorge – A valley in the eastern part of Litchfield, containing Steele Creek.
- Jerusalem Hill – A location southwest of Cranes Corners at County Roads 169 and 255.
- Kinne Corners – A location at the north town line at County Roads 27, 79, and 167.
- Norwich Corners – A hamlet in the northwest corner of the town on County Road 59.
- Parker Corners – A location near the north town line on County Road 166.
- Steele Creek – A stream near the east town line.
- Wheelocks Hill (formerly Snows Bush) – A location north of Jerusalem Hill.