Literary Association of the Friends of Poland
Literary Association of the Friends of Poland is a British organization of solidarity with Poles, co-founded February 25, 1832 in United Kingdom by Prince Adam Jerzy Czartoryski and the Scottish poet Thomas Campbell.
Thomas Campbell was the Society's President, and the first secretary was a young Anglo-Irishman, Richard Graves Meredith. The main goal of the society was to sustain the interest of British public opinion in the Polish question after the failure of the November Uprising. Its members included many influential British political figures, e.g. Sir Francis Burdett, Dudley Ryder, Robert Cutlar Fergusson, Lord Dudley Coutts Stuart, Thomas Wentworth Beaumont, Daniel O'Connell, Thomas Attwood and Patrick Stuart.
There were also a number of regional associations created in 1832 which supported the main association in London: these were: Hull Literary Polish Society (founded in July 1832), Glasgow Polish Association (founded in October 1832), and the Birmingham Polish Association (founded in October 1832).
- The Literary Association of the Friends of Poland was also known as the Polish Association (Campbell 1849, p. 101 and Tyler 1851, pp. 283,284)
- Literary association of the friends of Poland 1832, p. 35.
- Literary association of the friends of Poland 1832, p. 320.
- Literary association of the friends of Poland 1832, p. 323,413.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011)|
- Campbell, Thomas (1849). Beattie, William, ed. Life and letters of Thomas Campbell 3. E. Moxon. p. 101.
- Literary association of the friends of Poland (August–December 1832). Polonia; or, Monthly reports on Polish affairs (Charles Fox et al) (1–5): 35, 320,323,413.
- Tyler, Edward Royall, ed. (1851). "Art. VII.—Life and Writings of Campbell". et al (eds). New Englander and Yale review. New Series–Volume 3 (New York: W.L. Benedict) 9: 261–289.
- L. Gadon, Z życia Polaków we Francyi : rzut oka na 50-letnie koleje Towarzystwa Historyczno-Literackiego w Paryżu, 1832-1882, 1883
- K. Marchlewicz, Propolski lobbing w Izbach Gmin i Lordów w latach trzydziestych i czterdziestych XIX wieku, w: Przegląd Historyczny, 2005, nr 1.
|This organization-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|