|This article does not cite any references or sources. (March 2014)|
A literary festival, also known as a book festival or writers' festival, is a regular gathering of writers and readers, typically on an annual basis in a particular city. A literary festival usually features a variety of presentations and readings by authors, as well as other events, delivered over a period of several days, with the primary objectives of promoting the authors' books and fostering a love of literature and writing.
Writers' conferences are sometimes designed to provide an intellectual and academic focus for groups of writers without the involvement of the general public.
There are many literary festivals held around the world. A non-exhaustive list is set out below, including dates when a festival is usually held (where available).
- Delhi Poetry Festival, January 19
- Adelaide Writers' Week, held during the Adelaide Festival of Arts
- Brisbane Writers' Festival, September 29 - October 2
- Galle Literary Festival, January 27–30
- Hay Festival Dhaka, November 15–18
- Hong Kong Book Festival, November 17–19, 24 - 26
- Hong Kong International Literary Festival, March 7–15
- Jaipur Literary Festival, January 24-28
- Karachi Literature Festival, February 5 & 6, 2011.
- Kuala Lumpur International Literary Festival, July 29–31
- Lit for Life, Chennai, Delhi (January 11-13, February 8) www.thehindulfl.com
- Melbourne Writers' Festival, August 19–28
- Newcastle, New South Wales National Young Writers' Festival, September 28 - October 2
- Perth Writers' Week, February 23–1 March
- Shanghai International Literary Festival
- Singapore Writers' Festival, October 24 - November 1
- Sydney Writers' Festival, May 23–29
- Williamstown Literary Festival April 26 - May 1, 2011
- Chandigarh Literati - Chandigarh Literature Festival, November 23-24
- Asia House Festival of Asian Literature, Asia House, London, May
- Berlin International Literature Festival (including the festival section Children´s and Young Adult Program)
- Cheltenham Literature Festival, October 6–15
- Chester Literature Festival, October
- Edinburgh International Book Festival, August 13–29, coinciding with the general Edinburgh Festival
- FestivalandCo, Shakespeare themed literary festival held in Paris, France at the Shakespeare and Company bookstore
- Festivaletteratura, held in Mantova, Italy, at the beginning of September
- Folkestone Literary Festival, September 20–25
- The Hay Festival, May 27-June 5
- Istanbul Tanpınar Literature Festival, held in Istanbul, Turkey, at the beginning of November
- Norwegian Festival of Literature, Lillehammer, Norway, is the largest literature festival in the Scandinavian countries since 1996
- Peak Literary Festival, October 25 -Nov 5 /May 25 -June6
- Prague Writers Festival, June 3–10
- Rencontres aubrac, France, Aveyron
- Israel's Hebrew Book Week
- Banff Mountain Book Festival, October 31 – November 2, 2007
- Boston Book Festival, annually in October
- Brattleboro Literary Festival, October 2-5, 2014
- Burlington Book Festival, September 15–17, 2006
- The Curwood Festival celebrates the life and writings of James Oliver Curwood the first weekend of June in Owosso, Michigan.
- The Frye Festival, Moncton, New Brunswick, April 22–28, 2013. Honouring Northrop Frye. International cast.
- Guadalajara International Book Fair, November 27 – December 5, 2010
- Hollywood Book Festival, July 28, 2007
- Litquake, since 2002, San Francisco, annually in October
- Los Angeles Times Festival of Books, UCLA, Los Angeles, California, late April/early May
- Miami Book Fair International, Downtown Miami, Florida, - November
- National Book Festival, produced by the Library of Congress, September www.loc.gov
- Tennessee Williams/ New Orleans Literary Festival, New Orleans, annually in March.
- Texas Book Festival, Austin, Texas held annually in the fall since 1996
- Virginia Festival of the Book, annually in March
- Winnipeg International Writers Festival, annually in September
- Women Writers Conference, The, Lexington, Kentucky, September 11–13, 2008
- Trujillo Book Festival, is held in Trujillo city located in Peru. In the year 2012 was on March from days 1 to 12.