Lithuanian Sports University
The Lithuanian Sports University (Lithuanian: Lietuvos sporto universitetas, LSU), formerly Lithuanian Academy of Physical Education, is the only state-supported institution of tertiary physical education in Kaunas, Lithuania. It has the university status. Since its establishment, the academy is headquartered in Žaliakalnis neighbourhood of Kaunas, in close proximity to the Kaunas Sports Hall and the S. Darius and S. Girėnas Stadium, adjacent to the Ąžuolynas Park.
It was established in 1934 as the Higher Courses of Physical Education. The Lithuanian National Institute of Physical Education was founded in 1945. The institute has been renamed to Lithuanian Academy of Physical Education in 1999. Since its foundation the institution has trained over 13 000 teachers of physical education, sports coaches and other qualified specialists.
The different University sports clubs are set up at the Academy: football clubs LKKA ir Teledema Kaunas, basketball clubs Viktorija and LSU-Baltai (Atletas), handball club LKKA–Žalgiris, weightlifting club Lokys, volleyball club Svaja, Greco-Roman wrestling club Lokys, swimming club Kiras, sports aerobics club Šėlsmas.
- Virgilijus Alekna, Olympic discus throwing champion;
- Valdemaras Chomičius, Olympic basketball champion;
- Rimas Kurtinaitis, Olympic basketball champion;
- Modestas Paulauskas, Olympic basketball champion;
- Gintarė Scheidt, Olympic silver medallist sailor;
- Birutė Šakickienė, Olympic bronze medallist rower;
- Algirdas Šocikas, European boxing champion.
See also 
Footnotes and references 
- "Lietuvos kūno kultūros akademija; Sports activities". Retrieved 2010-10-25.
|This Lithuanian university, college or other education institution article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about sports in Lithuania is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|