Little Green Bag
|"Little Green Bag"|
|Single by George Baker Selection|
|from the album Little Green Bag|
|B-side||"Pretty Little Dreamer"|
|George Baker Selection singles chronology|
"Little Green Bag" is a 1969 song written by Dutch musicians, Jan Visser and George Baker (credited as Hans Bouwens), and recorded by the George Baker Selection at the band's own expense. The 7" single debut of the George Baker Selection was released by the label Negram. The B-side was "Pretty Little Dreamer". In 1970, "Little Green Bag" appeared on the album, Little Green Bag, by the George Baker Selection.
The song reached the number 9 position in the Dutch Top 40, and the number 3 position in Belgium. In the summer of 1970, it reached the number 16 position on the Cash Box magazine chart and 21 in the Billboard Top 100 in the U.S.. In 1992, when the song was used in the film Reservoir Dogs, it became an international cult classic. Also in 1992, the song reached the number 1 position in Japan, after it was used in a Japanese whiskey commercial.
- In 1999, Tom Jones released a cover of the song recorded with the Canadian band Barenaked Ladies on the collaborations album Reload.
- In the 1970s Luigi Albertelli translated the song into Italian, with the title Un passatempo; this version was recorded by Nada (Italian singer). Titled La borsetta verde it was recorded by the group i Punti Cardinali.
In other media
- The song is included on the soundtrack of the Quentin Tarantino film Reservoir Dogs and appears in the famous intro scene that leads into the opening credits.
- It was used in the Capcom video game "Under The Skin".
- It starts off the soundtrack of a 2012 science documentary 'Transit of Venus' from BBC/Horizon.
- The song was used in a 2013 TV Commercial for Motorola's Moto X smartphone 
- The song was featured in episode 13 of the cult American television show Freaks and Geeks, named "Chokin' and Tokin' ."
- It the theme song for the Argentinian TV series "En el camino".
- The song was used in the second episode of The Simpsons' eighteenth season: "Jazzy and the Pussycats".
- The song was used in Red Dwarf Season 8 - "Back in the Red: Part 2" (1999)
- A cover was used in Turkish TV-series "Leyla ile Mecnun" with the name "Kireçburnu Yaban Çakalları".