Little Magothy River
The Little Magothy River runs 2.5 miles (4.0 km) through Anne Arundel County in the U.S. state of Maryland. It is located southeast of the Magothy River, just outside its mouth but considered part of the same watershed, and north of the Severn River.
It is a small, mostly tidal river with a watershed area (not including the water surface) of 2.2 square miles (5.7 km2). The mailing addresses in the watershed are Annapolis but the whole watershed is in Anne Arundel County, on the north side of the Broadneck Peninsula. It is bordered on the west by the community of Cape Saint Claire, and on the east by houses and farms along Bay Head Road. It is just west of Sandy Point State Park. It starts near College Parkway and US 50/301, just north of the Whitehall Creek watershed (which is part of the Severn River watershed that drains to Whitehall Bay), and it flows north into Chesapeake Bay south of Gibson Island. It has one named nontidal creek that drains into its upper end, Cat Branch, which flows under Cape Saint Claire Road. According to "My River Speaks," p. 141, Cat Branch was dammed in the mid-18th century to supply water through a canal to a mill in the upper Whitehall Creek watershed (part of the Severn River watershed).
- U.S. Geological Survey. National Hydrography Dataset high-resolution flowline data. The National Map, accessed April 1, 2011
- MAGOTHY RIVER WATERSHED RESTORATION STRATEGY, Anne Arundel County Office of Environmental & Cultural Resources, July, 2005
- Magothy River map: Map to download, made in 2004, shows names of most creeks and other water bodies, including Little Magothy and Cat Branch
- Marianne Taylor, My River Speaks: The History and Lore of the Magothy River (Arnold, MD: Bay Media, 1998) ISBN 0-9665239-0-3
- Friends of the Little Magothy River (watershed group)
- Maryland DNR's Surf Your Watershed: Magothy River
- Magothy River Association and Magothy River Land Trust: Two web sites of Magothy River watershed associations