Litton's Weekend Adventure
|Type||Saturday morning block|
|September 3, 2011|
Litton's Weekend Adventure (originally known as ABC Weekend Adventure) is an American syndicated programming block that is programmed by Litton Entertainment, which is broadcast Saturday (and/or Sunday) mornings on the owned-and-operated stations and affiliates of ABC; the block features live-action documentary and lifestyle series aimed at a family audience. Announced on May 24, 2011, Litton's Weekend Adventure launched on September 3, 2011, replacing the ABC Kids block.
The block came as a result of ABC's decision in early 2011 to no longer provide E/I programming as part of its Saturday morning network lineup to its affiliates; the network had not introduced any new E/I programs for its ABC Kids block since 2008, and the E/I programs that had been airing on the network at the time of the decision had all been re-purposed Disney Channel sitcoms in reruns for three years, some of which were fully out of production without remaining drawing power to children's audiences. Also, before The Walt Disney Company returned the rights to the Power Rangers franchise in 2010 to Haim Saban, several station groups that owned ABC affiliates (such as Hearst Television) refused to carry any series from that franchise or chose to run them only in low-rated early morning timeslots, and had demanded any lineup be fully educational so the stations would not have to purchase E/I programming from syndication distributors.
As a compromise, the network's affiliate board agreed to instead look for a broadcast syndication package that would air exclusively on ABC stations. Litton Entertainment was eventually selected to program the block, beating out two other competitors. Although the block airs exclusively on ABC owned-and-operated and affiliate stations and was original announced as ABC Weekend Adventure, Litton's Weekend Adventure does not contain any ABC branding (though some stations may insert their own logo "bug", like they do for syndicated programming; the only on-screen graphic appearing on the block's programs otherwise is an "E/I" symbol that appears on the top right of the screen to denote its educational and informative nature), does not carry any advertising supplied by ABC (such as promotions for other network shows), and likewise is not promoted directly by ABC on-air or mentioned on the network's website. In addition, commercial breaks within the block do not feature any product advertisements aimed at children. Litton's Weekend Adventure is the first Saturday morning block among the major U.S. broadcast networks to feature programs that are produced in high definition.
On September 24, 2012, it was announced that a television version of Everyday Health's YouTube series Recipe Rehab would premiere on the block beginning on October 6, 2012 replacing the Everyday Health show.
On September 28, 2013, Litton introduced its second Saturday morning television block, CBS Dream Team, on ABC competitor CBS. The following week on October 4, 2013, the Weekend Adventure block's "Health and Wellness Hour" (consisting of health and culinary programs that filled the third hour of the block) was discontinued as part of a refocusing towards exclusively wildlife-focused programs; with the move, Recipe Rehab migrated to the Dream Team block (Its former lead-out, Food for Thought with Claire Thomas, was canceled outright).
Actual times may vary by station, and the lineup might be split over Saturday and Sunday to accommodate an affiliate's local news or local interest programming.
- Jack Hanna's Wild Countdown
- Ocean Mysteries with Jeff Corwin
- Born to Explore with Richard Wiese
- Sea Rescue
- The Wildlife Docs
- Expedition Wild
- Culture Click (hosted by Nzinga Blake) – September 3, 2011–February 11, 2012
- Everyday Health (hosted by Leila Ali, Jenna Morasca, and Ethan Zohn) – September 3, 2011–September 29, 2012
- Food for Thought with Claire Thomas (hosted by Claire Thomas) – September 3, 2011–September 28, 2013
- Recipe Rehab – October 6, 2012–September 28, 2013
- "Litton's Weekend Adventure". Litton Entertainment. Retrieved July 10, 2011.
- "Everyday Health, Inc. and Litton Entertainment Announce New Television Series, "Everyday Health," to Premiere on ABC Affiliates". KFVS-TV. July 8, 2011. Retrieved July 10, 2011.
- "ABC Orders Saturday Kids Block From Litton". TVNewsCheck. May 24, 2011. Retrieved May 24, 2011.
- Albiniak, Paige (May 24, 2011). "ABC to Premiere ABC Weekend Adventure on Sept. 3". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved May 24, 2011.
- "Litton Announces "ABC Weekend Adventure"". Business Wire. May 24, 2011. Retrieved May 24, 2011.
- "Cynopsis: Kids! 05/26/11". Cynopsis. May 26, 2011. Retrieved May 27, 2011.
- Albiniak, Paige (May 2, 2012). "American Forces Network Adds Litton's Weekend Adventure". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- Shields, Mike (September 24, 2012). "YouTube Hit Jumps to TV—Albeit Saturday A.M.". AdWeek. Retrieved September 29, 2012.
- Efrati, Amir. "From YouTube to TV". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- "Everyday Health's New TV Series, "Recipe Rehab," Is First Show From A YouTube Original Channel To Air On Network TV". Reuters (New York City: Everyday Health, Inc.). PR Newswire. September 28, 2012. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- James, Meg (July 24, 2013). "CBS partners with Litton Entertainment for Saturday teen block". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- "Former Greenbrier chef now stars in 'Recipe Rehab'". AP. AP. September 7, 2013. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- Downey, Kevin (June 5, 2014). "CW Joins with Litton for Sat. Morning E/I Block". TVNewsCheck. Retrieved June 5, 2014.