Live Oak County, Texas
|Live Oak County, Texas|
The Live Oak County Courthouse in George West.
Location in the state of Texas
Texas's location in the U.S.
|• Total||1,079 sq mi (2,795 km2)|
|• Land||1,036 sq mi (2,683 km2)|
|• Water||43 sq mi (111 km2), 3.94%|
|• Density||13/sq mi (5/km²)|
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,079 square miles (2,794 km²), of which 1,036 square miles (2,684 km²) is land and 43 square miles (110 km²) (3.94%) is water.
- Karnes County (northeast)
- Bee County (east)
- San Patricio County (southeast)
- Jim Wells County (south)
- Duval County (southwest)
- McMullen County (west)
- Atascosa County (northwest)
Texas Almanac: 1850-2010
As of the census of 2000, there were 12,309 people, 4,230 households, and 3,070 families residing in the county. The population density was 12 people per square mile (5/km²). There were 6,196 housing units at an average density of 6 per square mile (2/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 87.28% White, 2.45% Black or African American, 0.41% Native American, 0.19% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 7.72% from other races, and 1.94% from two or more races. 38.05% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 4,230 households out of which 30.90% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.10% were married couples living together, 8.70% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.40% were non-families. 23.90% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the county, the population was spread out with 22.30% under the age of 18, 9.50% from 18 to 24, 27.10% from 25 to 44, 25.10% from 45 to 64, and 16.00% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 122.20 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 129.80 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $32,057, and the median income for a family was $38,235. Males had a median income of $30,061 versus $19,665 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,886. About 14.10% of families and 16.50% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.20% of those under age 18 and 11.70% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure
Cities, towns and places
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Live Oak County, Texas
- Live Oak County Courthouse
- Live Oak County Jail
- United States Census Bureau. "2010 Census Data". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 15 January 2012.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- U.S. Decennial Census
- Texas Almanac: County Population History 1850-2010
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "FCI Three Rivers Contact Information." Federal Bureau of Prisons. Retrieved on December 12, 2010. "US HIGHWAY 72 WEST THREE RIVERS, TX 78071"
- "Three Rivers city, Texas." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on December 12, 2010.
- Live Oak County government’s website
- Live Oak County from the Handbook of Texas Online
- "Live Oak County Profile" from the Texas Association of Counties
- Index of Landmarks
||Atascosa County||Karnes County|
|McMullen County||Bee County|
|Duval County||Jim Wells County||San Patricio County|