Liz Kessler is a British author of children's books, most notably a series about a half-mermaid called Emily Windsnap. It is a series of books about Emily, her friends, and her adventures throughout the deep sea.
She has worked as a teacher, teaching English and Media Studies, and has also run Creative Writing courses. Liz was also a journalist working on local and regional newspapers in both York and Manchester.
The Emily Windsnap series
Emily Windsnap is a 12-year-old girl who lives alone with her mother on a boat by the seaside. When Emily takes swimming lessons, she finds out something she did not know about herself: when fully immersed in water she has a mermaid's tail. However, her mother appears to remember nothing about mermaids or even Emily's own father. Now Emily embarks on a trip through the mermaid realm to find out the truth about her, her father and mother, and the unusual Mr. Beeston, the lighthouse keeper.
The Emily Windsnap series was #10 on the New York Times bestseller list for a new release in a children's series on May 20, 2007.
After the first three books, Liz Kessler said she was finished with the Emily Windsnap series but she was convinced to write another by her readers, and Emily Windsnap and the Siren's Secret was released April 28, 2010. The Emily Windsnap Friendship Book was released in summer of 2008.
Her books are written at a level suitable for grades 4 to 7.
- A Year Without Autumn (2011)
- North Of Nowhere (2013)
- The Tail of Emily Windsnap (2003) 1
- Emily Windsnap and the Monster from the Deep (2004)2
- Emily Windsnap and the Castle in the Mist (2006)3
- Emily Windsnap and the Siren's Secret (2010)4
- Emily Windsnap and the Land of the Midnight Sun( 2012)5
- Philippa Fisher's Fairy God-sister (2008)
- Philippa Fisher and the Dream-Maker's Daughter (2009)
- Philippa Fisher and the Fairy's Promise (2010)
- Philippa Fisher and the Stone Fair's Promise
- A Year Without Autumn
- BBC. "Writing for young adults". Retrieved 4 April 2011.
- Norfolk, Pam (21 April 2011). "Book review: A Year without Autumn by Liz Kessler". Longridge Today. Retrieved 4 September 2013.