|Education||Dartmouth College, California State University, Fullerton|
|Known for||Photography, Video, and Mixed Media|
Liza Ryan was born in 1965 in Norfolk, Virginia. Ryan earned a BFA at Dartmouth College, (New Hampshire) in 1987 and an MFA from California State University, Fullerton in 1994. She lives and works in Los Angeles, California.
Ryan works in photography, video and mixed media. Her interest in the use of visual metaphor remains constant throughout her bodies of work. The J. Paul Getty Museum, the Honolulu Museum of Art and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (Los Angeles, California) are among the public collections holding works by Liza Ryan.
- "Zones of Contact" Biennale of Sydney, Australia (2006)
- "Spill", Cooley Memorial Art Gallery, Reed College, Portland, OR (January 30 - March 8, 2009)
- "State of Mind: A California Invitational]", Museum of Photographic Arts, San Diego, California (2010)
- Liza Ryan: Spill. Interview with the artist and essay by Stephanie Snyder, Douglas F. Cooley Memorial Art Gallery, Reed College, Portland, Oregon, 2010
- John Motley, “Imagining Transcendence: Liza Ryan’s installation SPILL explores symbols of possibility and Limitation,” The Portland Mercury, February 19, 2009
- Andrew Schulz, “Liza Ryan,” Zones of Contact: 2006 Biennale of Sydney. Exhibition Catalogue, 2006
- Sebastian Smee, “Uncomfortably Close,” The Weekend Australian, June 24, 2006
- Portretten &Stillevens: Photographs from the Manfred Heiting Collection. Exhibition catalogue. Text by Hans Roosebaum and Mattie Boom. Amsterdam: Waanders Uitgevers/Rijksmuseum, 2001
- Double Vision: Photographs from the Strauss Collection. Exhibition Catalogue. Essays by Constance W. Glenn, Mary-Kay Lombino, and Arthur Ollman. Long Beach: University Art Museum, California State University,College of the Arts, 2001
- Beyond Boundaries: Contemporary Photography in California. Exhibition catalogue. Essay by Nora Kabot. San Francisco: The Friends of Photography, 2000
- Liza Ryan: Works 1993–2000. Essay by Charles Merewether. Amsterdam: Cinubia Press, 2000
- Degrees of Stillness: Photographs from the Manfred Heiting Collection. Exhibition catalogue. Essay by Susanne Lange. Koln: Stiftung Kulture, 1999
- Snyder, Stephanie, "Liza Ryan, Spill", The Reed Institute, Portland, OR, 2009.
- Griffin, William, "Liza Ryan", GRIFFIN Editions, Santa Monica, CA, 2005.
- Merewether, Charles, Liza Ryan Works 1993 to 2000, Cinubia, Italy, Griffin, 2000.
- Ryan, Mina, Liza Ryan: the Effect of Surface Wind Speed on Familiar Objects, Venice, California, Griffin Contemporary Exhibitions, 1997.
- Liz Ryan on ArtNet.com
- Liz Ryan on ArtNet.com
- Liza Ryan Website
- "Reed's Cooley Gallery presents SPILL, a film and photography installation by LA-based artist Liza Ryan. Ryan's work explores the flexibility of the human psyche, focusing on imagined experiences involving release and dispersal." Portland Art