April 1964, Ji was born in Wenzhou, Zhejiang Province, China. Ji graduated BS from Hangzhou University (previous and current Zhejiang University) in Hangzhou in 1984. From 1984 to 1985, Ji was a master student at the Department of Mathematics of Hangzhou University. Ji went to USA to continue his study in 1985, and in 1987 Ji obtained MS from the Department of Mathematics of the University of California, San Diego. In 1991, Ji obtained PhD from the Northeastern University (doctoral advisors: R. Mark Goresky and Shing-Tung Yau).
From 1991 to 1994, Ji was C.L.E. Moore instructor at the Department of Mathematics of MIT. From 1994 to 1995, Ji was a member of the Institute for Advanced Study School of Mathematics in Princeton, New Jersey. From 1995 to 1999, Ji was an assistant professor at the Department of Mathematics, University of Michigan (UM). From 1999 to 2005, Ji was an associate professor at the same department. In 2005, Ji was promoted to full professor at UM.
- Compactifications of Symmetric and Locally Symmetric Spaces; by Armand Borel, and Lizhen Ji.
- Arithmetic Groups and Their Generalizations: What, Why, and How; by Lizhen Ji.
- Geometry, Analysis and Topology of Discrete Groups; co-edited by Lizhen Ji, Kefeng Liu, Yang Lo, and Shing-Tung Yau.
- Compactifications of Symmetric Spaces (Progress in Mathematics, Vol 156); by Y. Guivarc'H, Lizhen Ji, and J. C. Taylor.
- Geometry Analysis and Topology of Discrete Groups; by Lizhen Ji, Kefeng Liu, and Yang Lo.
- Handbook of Geometric Analysis; by Lizhen Ji.
- Mathematics and Mathematical People; Chief-editor Lizhen Ji.
- Advanced Lectures in Mathematics; Chief-editor Lizhen Ji.
- An editor of the Asian Journal of Mathematics
- An editor of Science in China, Series A: Mathematics
- A founding editor and chief editor of Pure and Applied Mathematics Quarterly
- One of the chief-editors of a book series on Popular Mathematics Mathematics and Humanities
- The Mathematics Genealogy Project – Lizhen Ji
- CV of Lizhen Ji
- Simons Foundation
- Compactifications of Symmetric and Locally Symmetric Spaces
- Higher Education Press: Handbook of Geometric Analysis
- 《数学与数学人》（Mathematics and Mathematical People）丛书
- Advanced Lectures in Mathematics (ALM)
- The homepage of Lizhen Ji
- The Mathematics Genealogy Project - Lizhen Ji
- Lizhen Ji's homepage at Zhejiang University
- ScienceNet: 季理真：追求真爱的数学人 (Lizhen Ji: Who Loves Math)