Llangennech shown within Carmarthenshire
|Population||4,510 (2001 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Mid and West Wales|
It is governed by Carmarthenshire County Council and Llanelli Rural council. It falls in the Llanelli parliament Constituency. Llangennech is also the name of an electoral ward coterminous with the village and has its own community council. It was formerly a coal mining community, with several local collieries mining steam coal. There is also a large Labour tradition in the village emanating from the mine workers. There was formerly a large Royal Navy depot in the village, which was closed in MoD restructuring.
- Huw Edwards, BBC news presenter lived in the village during his youth.
- Rhys Gabe, Welsh international rugby player was born in Llangennech.
- Eileen Beasley Welsh Language campaigner, lived here during her and her husband's campaign for Welsh language tax bills.
- Official Website
- Carmarthenshire County Council
- www.geograph.co.uk : photos of Llangennech and surrounding area
|This Carmarthenshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|