||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (February 2014)|
Llanrhos (also called Eglwys Rhos) is a village to the east and south of Llandudno in the Conwy County Borough, Wales. The Llanrhos parish traditionally includes Deganwy, the Craig-y-Don district of Llandudno, the Little Orme and Penrhyn Bay.
The Church in Wales parish church is dedicated to St. Hilary and is in the diocese of St Asaph. The church was extensively rebuilt in 1865 but incorporates the roof beams and many other features of the former late medieval church said to have been built on the site of the original mid-6th-century church of Maelgwn Gwynedd whose castle was within the parish on the twin peaks at Deganwy.
The historic mansion of Gloddaeth Hall was the home of Iorwerth Goch of Creuddyn and pre-dates the 13th century conquest of Edward I. By 1460 it had become through marriage one of the homes of the Mostyn family, members of which lived there until about 1935 when it became a girls boarding school, which closed in 1964. In 1965, Lord Mostyn transferred the lease to Saint David's College for boys, which is now co-educational.
Bodysgallen Hall, within the village, home of its bachelor owner, Ievan Lloyd Mostyn, until his death in 1966, was sold in 1967 for £15,000 with the contents being sold for £35,000. Cadwallon Lawhir's 5th century AD residence ruins are extant atop a woodland knoll above the present Bodysgallen Hall (Williams, 1835). The square tower (non-defensive) has a five storey, ascending anti-clock wise, extant spiral staircase, which yields commanding views to the north (Lumina Technologies, 2006). Bodysgallen Hall is now a five-star destination hotel.
- Ivor Wynne Jones. Llandudno Queen of Welsh Resorts Landmark, Ashbourne Derbyshire 2002 ISBN 1-84306-048-5 .
- Rev. Robert Williams, The History and Antiquities of the Town of Aberconwy and its Neighbourhood, (1835)
- C.Michael Hogan and Amy Gregory, History and architecture of Bodysgallen Hall, North Wales, Lumina Technologies, (2006)
- Cytûn - Church Services in Llandudno and Llanrhos
- www.geograph.co.uk : photos of Llanrhos and surrounding area