Llanyrafon shown within Torfaen
|Area||3.02 km2 (1.17 sq mi) |
|– density||1,073/km2 (2,780/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Llanyrafon is a suburb of Cwmbran and a community in the county borough of Torfaen in south east Wales. It lies within the boundaries of the historic county of Monmouthshire and the preserved county of Gwent.
Sometimes written on old maps and documents as Lan-yr-avon, Llan-yr-avon, or Llanyravon, the name literally translates as "Church by the River". However, Llan meaning "Church"' is usually followed by a saint's name, and the resulting name is usually associated with a parish church. Neither is true for Llanyrafon, so the older meaning of Llan as "an enclosed piece of land" may apply.
- See also: Llan (placename element)
Built in the late 1950s, Llanyrafon is mainly residential but does include a municipal golf course; 3-star Hotel (Commodore Hotel on Mill Lane - closed in 2011); small shopping precinct known as Llanyrafon Lakeside Shops and the large Boating Lake Park & South Fields. The Boating Lake Park includes (as the name suggests) a large lake which is home to various wildfowl birds such as swans, mallards and moorhens. There is also a large adventure playground as well as various football and rugby pitches. In recent years, the addition of a skateboarding/roller blading park was made to this area. Most recently there has been a re-vamp of the Boating Lake with the addition of an island. There is one public house, 'The Crow's Nest', that serves 'pub-grub' food.
- "2011 Census:Quick Statistics:Population Density for Llanyrafon". Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 29 Nov 2013.
- "2011 Census:Key Statistics:Key Figures for Llanyrafon". Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 25 Nov 2013.
- Barber, Chris, 1999. EASTERN VALLEY The Story of Torfaen. Blorenge Books. ISBN 1 872730 23 X
- Torfaen County Borough Council
- Grade II* listed buildings in Torfaen
- Scheduled Monuments in Torfaen
- Communities of Torfaen
|Cwmbran Central||Llangybi (Monmouthshire)|