|Sir Lloyd Geering
ONZ GNZM CBE
Lloyd Geering in September 2011
26 February 1918 |
Rangiora, New Zealand
|Alma mater||University of Otago|
|Known for||1967 charges of heresy|
Sir Lloyd George Geering ONZ GNZM CBE (born 26 February 1918) is a New Zealand theologian, who faced charges of heresy in 1967 for his controversial views. He considers Christian and Muslim fundamentalism to be "social evils". Geering is Emeritus Professor of Religious Studies at Victoria University of Wellington.
Geering was born in Rangiora, Canterbury, New Zealand, and "embraced" the Christian tradition in 1937. He holds a Doctor of Divinity from the University of Otago and a master's degree in mathematics. He was a minister in the Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa New Zealand (PCANZ) and turned to theological teaching in 1956.
In 1967 Geering gained a high profile when he was charged with "doctrinal error" and "disturbing the peace and unity of the (Presbyterian) church". The case was brought before the 1967 General Assembly of the PCANZ, and dismissed without being much discussed. The charges were brought by a group of conservative laymen and a conservative minister. During his church trial he claimed that the remains of Jesus lay somewhere in Palestine and that the resurrection had been wrongfully interpreted by churches as a resuscitation of the body of Jesus. He also rejects the notion that God is a supernatural being who created and continues to look over the world.
Geering is a member of the Jesus Seminar and a participant in the Living the Questions program, an alternative to the evangelical Alpha course, which he views as dangerous indoctrination sadly growing among even mainstream churches. He is also a member of the Sea of Faith Network (New Zealand), and St Andrew's On The Terrace as well as Principal Lecturer at St Andrew's Trust for the Study of Religion and Society
He was honoured in 1988 as a Commander of the Order of the British Empire and in 2001 as Principal Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit. In the 2007 New Year Honours List he was made a Member of the Order of New Zealand. In 2009, his status as a Principal Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit was re-designated to that of Knight Grand Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit.
Geering is a patron of the Coalition for Open Government.
- Reimagining God: The Faith Journey of a Modern Heretic (2014). Salem, OR: Polebridge Press, ISBN 978-1-59815-156-5
- From the Big Bang to God: Our Awe-Inspiring Journey of Evolution (2013). Aotearoa, NZ: Steele Roberts, Salem, OR: Polebridge Press, ISBN 978-1-59815-139-8. Ebook ISBN 978-1-59815-140-4
- Such Is Life!: A Close Encounter With Ecclesiastes (2010). Aotearoa, NZ: Steele Roberts, ISBN 1-59815-023-5
- Coming Back to Earth: From gods to God to Gaia (2009). Salem, OR: Polebridge Press, ISBN 1-59815-016-2
- In Praise of the Secular (2007). St Andrews, ISBN 0-9582880-0-3
- Is Christianity Going Anywhere? (2004). St Andrews, ISBN 0-9583645-8-3
- Wrestling with God: The Story of My Life (2006). ISBN 1-877242-36-5
- The Greening of Christianity (2005) ISBN 0-9583645-9-1
- Christianity without God (2002). Salem, OR: Polebridge Press, ISBN 0-944344-92-5
- Christian Faith at the Crossroads (revised 2001). Salem, OR: Polebridge Press, ISBN 0-944344-83-6
- The World to Come: From Christian Past to Global Future (1999). Salem, OR: Polebridge Press, ISBN 0-944344-76-3
- Tomorrow's God: How We Create our Worlds (1996). Salem, OR: Polebridge Press reprint 2000, ISBN 0-944344-81-X
- In the World Today (1988)
- The World of Relation: An Introduction to Martin Buber's I and Thou (1983)
- Faith's New Age: A Perspective on Contemporary Religious Change (1980)
- Resurrection – A Symbol of Hope (1971)
- God in the New World (1968)
- Morris and Grimshaw, 2008. Page 277
- Lloyd Geering speaking at Pitt Street Uniting Church, Sydney, in October 2004: "In 1967, Lloyd Geering's writings on the resurrection of Jesus and the immortality of the soul, resulted in his being charged by the Presbyterian Church with "doctrinal error" and "disturbing the peace of the church" – which is more or less the same thing as a heresy charge – and we'll shortly be hearing about what happened there. Since then, he's gone on to challenge Christian orthodoxy perhaps even more profoundly, by questioning the distinction between the religious and the secular worlds."
- Geering says: "But before there had been very much time for any adequate discussion of the real issues, a motion was put to the House, and later carried firmly on the voices – and it said that “the Assembly judges that no doctrinal error has been established, dismisses the charges and declares the case closed”". Lloyd Geering speaking at Pitt Street Uniting Church, Sydney, in October 2004
- The Last Western Heretic, produced in 2007 in New Zealand and Israel, aired on TV ONE, 12 January 2008 (Press release)
- Morris P and Grimshaw M (eds.)(2008) Lloyd Geering Reader: Prophet of Modernity Victoria University Press. ISBN 978-0-86473-547-8
- Pelly R and Stuart P (2006) A Religious Atheist? Critical Essays on the Work of Lloyd Geering Otago University Press. ISBN 978-1-877372-37-7
- Veitch, James (1990) Faith in an age of turmoil: essays in honour of Lloyd Geering, Oriental University Press, ISBN 978-0-7465-0154-2
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lloyd Geering.|
- Geering’s theological journey
- Geering: Christianity without God on YouTube.
- Geering, Lloyd New Zealand Book Council. Retrieved 26 December 2010.
- Lloyd Geering is a member of the St Andrew's Trust for the study of Religion and Society. Lloyd Geering is a founding member of the SATRS Trust Board.
- St Andrew's in The Terrace , Presbyterian Church Lloyd Geering is Theologian-in-residence at St Andrew's on The Terrace