Loara High School
|Loara High School|
|Motto||"Once a Saxon, Always a Saxon"|
|Type||Public Secondary, International School|
|Location||1765 West Cerritos,
Anaheim, California, USA
|Colors||Scarlet and Vegas Gold|
|Website||Loara High Website|
Loara High School is a public, four year International Baccalaureate American high school in the Anaheim Union High School District, located in the city of Anaheim in Orange County, California. The campus consists of 2,578 students and 111 certificated staff. As of 2008 the student to teacher ratio of 25.8 to 1. Loara is a California Distinguished School which prepares students to "innovate in service of their community". The school was one of the premier institutions becoming an International School in Orange County during the 1990s.
As of 2008, the campus' over 2,578 students consists of the following percentage of ethnic groups: 0.3% American Indian, 7% Asian, 2% Pacific Islander, 3% Filipino, 64% Hispanic, 1% Asian Indian, 2% African-American, and 16% Caucasian. Over half of the student qualify for the reduced lunch program. Nearly one fourth of the students participate in an English learners program.
Loara was established in 1962 and is one of eight comprehensive high schools within the district. The school's name is said to mean "lost child."
In 1971, then-California governor and future U.S. president Ronald Reagan visited the Loara campus on a tour of the city of Anaheim.
The school has recently undergone modernization under Bond Measure Z, which includes two gyms, a science building, and a math building. Loara has an IB program which is delivering very successful and intelligent students. In 2006, the campus completed an extensive technology improvement plan. This includes the construction of the prototype for "Classroom of the Future," two technologically advanced rooms that were designed to model future prospects.
Sammy Saxon is the school mascot. His appearance is typically depicted as a caricature of an Anglo-Saxon warrior.
Loara had one of the largest International Baccalaureate (IB) programs in Orange County. The IB program is no longer offered at Loara. Loara was authorized to offer the IB Diploma Programme in July 1999, the program is taught in English to 148 students.
The school competes in the CIF-SS Goldenwest League.
- Tennis, 1966
- Football, 1968
- Football, 1979
- Baseball - 1983
- Lute Olson (Robert Luther Olson); NBA basketball player, counselor, driver ed instructor, famed high school, college and Olympic Coach.
||This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
- Mike Adams; Major League Baseball outfielder for the Minnesota Twins.
- Larry Beckett; poet and songwriter who collaborated with Tim Buckley and Jim Fielder.
- Tim Buckley; folk singer. Father of Jeff. Collaborated with Larry Beckett and Jim Fielder.
- Jeff Buckley; recording artist. Son of Tim.
- Bobby Cramer; starting pitcher for the Oakland Athletics MLB.
- Ricardo D. Cortez; 6 time United Country Western Dance Council World Champion dancer and choreographer
- Sylvia Day; best-selling author.
- Linda Emond; actress
- Jim Fielder; bassist for Blood, Sweat & Tears. Collaborated with Larry Beckett and Tim Buckley.
- Charles Gipson; Major League Baseball player
- Lauren Lappin; member of the 2008 Summer Olympics Women's Softball Team Silver Medal winner.
- Kevin McLain; National Football League player
- Augie Nieto; founder of Lifefitness and inventor of the Lifecycle. Augie has recently become a spokesman for the Muscular Dystrophy Association and was featured on the cover of Parade Magazine.
- Dana Schoenfeld; 1972 Summer Olympics Silver Medal winner, Swimming.
- Bret Freeman; Europe's leading MMA Ring Announcer.
- Eric Stefani; co-founder of No Doubt. An animator for the series, The Simpsons. Brother of Gwen.
- Gwen Stefani; co-founder and lead singer of the band No Doubt. Also an internationally renowned solo performer. Sister of Eric.
- Stacey Q (Stacey Lynn Swain); recording artist
- Brian Mashburn; founding member of Save Ferris, wrote music & lyrics. Was in the movie Ten Things I Hate About You. Currently in Starpool, Powersurge, and Red Panda
- Eric Zamora; founding member of Save Ferris, currently in Starpool
- George Zeber; Major League Baseball player 
- John Van Houten; Tuba player, teacher, and recording artist in the Los Angeles area
- "Loara High - Reports". California Department of Education. Retrieved 2008-06-21.
- Deruyter, Vanessa. "Recent Articles about Loara High School - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. Retrieved 2009-03-23.
- "Bobby Cramer Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- "Charles Gipson Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Kevin Mclain". databaseFootball.com. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- "George Zeber Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 21, 2012.