|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2008)|
||The inclusion or exclusion of items from this list, or length of this list, is disputed. Please discuss this issue on the talk page. (June 2011)|
||It has been suggested that crosstown rivalry be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since September 2012.|
In many countries the term local derby, or simply just derby (// or DAR-bee) means a sporting fixture between two teams from the same town,city or region, particularly in association football. In North America, "crosstown rivalry" is a more common term.
- 1 Origin
- 2 American football
- 3 Association football
- 4 Australian rules football
- 5 Baseball
- 6 Basketball
- 7 Canadian football
- 8 Ice hockey
- 9 Rugby League
- 10 Rugby union
- 11 Speedway
- 12 University
- 13 References
The phrase most likely originated from The Derby, a horse race in England, founded by the 12th Earl of Derby in 1780, since at least as early as 1840 'derby' has been used as a noun in English to denote any kind of sporting contest.
Another widely reported theory, though not accepted by the Oxford English Dictionary, is that the phrase came about from the city of Derby itself. It was renowned as a chaotic and exuberant game that involved the whole town and often resulted in fatalities. The goals were at Nuns Mill in the north and the Gallows Balk in the south of the town, and much of the action took place in the Derwent river or Markeaton brook. Nominally the players came from All Saints' and St Peter's parishes, but in practice the game was a free-for-all with as many as 1,000 players. A Frenchman who observed the match in 1829 wrote in horror, 'if Englishmen call this play, it would be impossible to say what they call fighting'. The traditional Shrovetide football match is commonplace in the town of Ashbourne, Derbyshire."
- New York Giants v New York Jets
- Oakland Raiders v San Francisco 49ers
- Washington Redskins v Baltimore Ravens
Australian rules football
- The Western Derby: West Coast Eagles vs Fremantle – Australian Football League (AFL)
- The Showdown, a local derby match between the two South Australian clubs: Adelaide Crows vs Port Adelaide Power – AFL
- The QClash, a local derby match between the two Queensland teams: Brisbane Lions vs Gold Coast Suns – AFL
- Although Brisbane and Gold Coast are separate cities about 95 km apart, their metropolitan areas have now converged.
- The Sydney Derby: Sydney Swans vs Greater Western Sydney Giants – AFL
- The Fremantle Derby: East Fremantle vs South Fremantle – West Australian Football League
- The Perth Derby: East Perth vs West Perth Football Club – West Australian Football League
- Diablos Rojos del Mexico vs Tigres de Quintana Roo
- Sultanes de Monterrey vs Saraperos de Saltillo
- Naranjeros de Hermosillo vs Tomateros de Culiacán
- Yaquis de Obregón vs Mayos de Navojoa
- Cubs–White Sox rivalry
- Los Angeles Dodgers vs Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
- Subway Series - New York Yankees vs New York Mets
- Bay Bridge Series - San Francisco Giants vs Oakland Athletics
- Super Classico – Maccabi Tel Aviv vs Hapoel Jerusalem
- Tel Aviv Derby – Maccabi Tel Aviv vs Hapoel Tel Aviv
- Amman's Derby – ZAIN basketball team vs ORTHODOX basketball team
- Lietuvos rytas vs Žalgiris. Not a local derby, as the participants are respectively located in Vilnius and Kaunas, but rather a "national derby" between the country's two most prominent clubs.
- Real Madrid vs Barcelona – Not a local derby, but an extension of the clubs' football rivalry, the biggest in the country. Like the Lithuanian "Superderby", this can be seen as a "national derby".
- Real Madrid vs Estudiantes; can also include matches between either team and Fuenlabrada
- Barcelona vs Joventut Badalona
- Saski Baskonia vs. CB Bilbao Berri; can also include San Sebastián Gipuzkoa BC – Not strictly a local derby, but rather a regional derby between the biggest clubs in the Basque Country.
One of the defining events of the CFL season is the Labour Day Classic, which focuses on long-standing rivalries between teams in the same region. The second-listed team in each matchup hosts the Labour Day game (note that in North American English, the home team is traditionally listed last in line scores). In another tradition, these teams have a return match the following week at the other team's home.
- Toronto Argonauts vs Hamilton Tiger-Cats – Somewhat closer to a true "local derby", as Toronto and Hamilton are part of an extended conurbation known as the Golden Horseshoe.
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers vs Saskatchewan Roughriders - See Banjo Bowl for the return match.
- Edmonton Eskimos vs Calgary Stampeders – See Battle of Alberta for the rivalry between the province's two largest cities, which predates organized sports in that region.
- Klagenfurter AC vs Villacher SV
Again, as in the case of Canadian football, major "derby"-style rivalries in Canada are generally between teams in the same province or in adjoining provinces due to the distribution of Canada's population.
- Toronto Maple Leafs vs Ottawa Senators
- Canadiens–Maple Leafs rivalry - Toronto Maple Leafs vs Montreal Canadiens
- Battle of Quebec – Quebec Nordiques (prior to relocating to Colorado) vs Montreal Canadiens
- Battle of Alberta – Calgary Flames vs Edmonton Oilers
- KHL Medvešćak vs KHL Mladost Zagreb
- Valašské Derby – HC Zlín vs HC Vsetín – Ice Hockey
- Západočeské Derby – HC Energie Karlovy Vary vs HC Plzeň 1929 – Ice Hockey
- Podkrušnohorské Derby – HC Energie Karlovy Vary vs HC Litvínov – Ice Hockey
- Pražské Derby - Slavia Praha vs Sparta Praha - Ice Hockey
- Slezské Derby - Vítkovice Steel vs Oceláři Třinec - Ice Hockey
- A3-Derby – Borussia Dortmund vs Bayern munchen
- Rheinisches Derby – Kölner Haie vs Düsseldorfer EG -For many Hockeyfans in Germany the Rheinisches Derby or Rhein Derby is the most famous and interesting Hockey Rivalry in Germany.Any Games between these Teams are often Soldout.
- Rheinisches Derby or Straßenbahn (tram) Derby – Krefeld Pinguine vs Düsseldorfer EG- the strong Rivalry between Krefeld Pinguine and the Düsseldorfer EG is often called the small Rhein Derby in Hockey Germany.Cause of its less Importance compared to the Big Rivalry between Koelner Haie and the Düsseldorfer EG.
- Helsinki Derby - Jokerit vs HIFK
- Tampere Derby - Ilves vs Tappara
- Greate Derby – Slovan Bratislava vs HC Košice vs Dukla Trencin
- Eastern Derby – HC Košice vs HK Poprad
- Middle Slovakian Derby – HKm Zvolen vs HC 05 Banska Bystrica
- Bern derby – SC Bern vs EHC Biel vs SCL Tigers
- Ticino derby – HC Ambri-Piotta vs HC Lugano
- Zähringen derby – HC Fribourg-Gottéron vs SC Bern
- Zürich derby - ZSC Lions vs EHC Kloten
As in the case of Canada, most "derby"-style rivalries are more regional in nature—usually between teams in the same state or region. The term "local derby" is not typically used in American English; the preferred term in that form of the language is crosstown rivalry. Teams in the same metropolitan area are considered "crosstown" rivals by Americans.
- Crosstown rivalries
- Los Angeles Kings vs Anaheim Ducks – Both in the Los Angeles metropolitan area, with the Kings playing in the city and the Ducks in Orange County.
- New York Rangers vs New Jersey Devils vs New York Islanders – All three are in the New York metropolitan area, with the Rangers playing in Manhattan, the Devils across the Hudson River in Newark, and the Islanders in Nassau County on Long Island, The rivalry will become geographically even closer in 2015, when the Islanders move farther west on geographic Long Island to Brooklyn.
- A former crosstown rivalry was that of the Rangers and New York Americans. The Americans joined the NHL in 1923, and their success led Tex Rickard to establish the Rangers as a crosstown rival in 1926. While both teams were affected by the Great Depression, the Americans fared much worse financially. The depletion of Canadian talent following that country's entry into World War II in 1939 was the final death blow for the Americans, which suspended operations in 1942 and folded in 1946 without playing another game.
- In-state rivals
- Florida Panthers vs Tampa Bay Lightning
- Los Angeles Kings vs San Jose Sharks
- Philadelphia Flyers vs Pittsburgh Penguins
- Regional rivals
- Boston Bruins vs Montreal Canadiens
- Boston Bruins vs New York Rangers – An extension of the long-standing sports rivalry between Boston and New York City, most famously manifested in baseball's Yankees–Red Sox rivalry.
- Chicago Blackhawks vs Detroit Red Wings
- Detroit Red Wings vs Toronto Maple Leafs – Detroit borders on the Canadian province of Ontario, home to the Leafs.
- New York Rangers vs Philadelphia Flyers
- Queensland Derbies - Brisbane Broncos vs Gold Coast Titans
- State of Origin - neighbouring Australian states of Queensland vs New South Wales
- Basque Derby – Bayonne vs Biarritz
- The "French Derby" or "Le derby des Stades" – Toulouse vs Stade Français
- Paris Derby – Stade Français vs Racing Métro
- Leinster Rugby vs Munster Rugby
- Ulster Rugby vs Leinster Rugby
- The Colours Match A rugby union match between University College Dublin and Dublin University
- Jukskei Derby - Golden Lions vs. Blue Bulls. This Currie Cup rivalry extends into Super Rugby, as the two competing sides form the core of the Lions and Bulls.
- Pomeranian-Kuyavian Derby (pol. Derby Pomorza i Kujaw) – Polonia Bydgoszcz vs KS Toruń
- Lubusz Derby (pol. Derby Ziemi Lubuskiej) – Stal Gorzów vs ZKŻ Zielona Góra
- South Derby - Unia Tarnów vs Stal Rzeszów
- "A brief Yotube history of Zalgiris Kaunas Vs. Lietuvos Rytas". BallinEurope.com. 22 April 2010. Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- "Biarritz v Bayonne the weekend Top 14 highlight". Rugby Week. 28 February 2013. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- "The crimson meets the blue: 5 moments from the Munster-Leinster rivalry". TheJournal.ie. 31 March 2012. Retrieved 12 April 2012.