|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2008)|
||The inclusion or exclusion of items from this list, or length of this list, is disputed. Please discuss this issue on the talk page. (June 2011)|
||It has been suggested that crosstown rivalry be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since September 2012.|
In many countries the term local derby, or simply just derby (UK: //; DAR-bee or AUS/US: //; DER-bee) means a sporting fixture between two teams from the same town, city or region, particularly in association football.
- 1 Origin
- 2 American football
- 3 Association football
- 4 Australian rules football
- 5 Baseball
- 6 Basketball
- 7 Canadian football
- 8 Ice hockey
- 9 Rugby League
- 10 Rugby union
- 11 Speedway
- 12 University
- 13 References
The phrase most likely originated from The Derby, a horse race in England, founded by the 12th Earl of Derby in 1780, since at least as early as 1840 'derby' has been used as a noun in English to denote any kind of sporting contest.
Another widely reported theory, though not accepted by the Oxford English Dictionary, is that the phrase came about from the city of Derby itself. It was renowned as a chaotic and exuberant game that involved the whole town and often resulted in fatalities. The goals were at Nuns Mill in the north and the Gallows Balk in the south of the town, and much of the action took place in the Derwent river or Markeaton brook. Nominally the players came from All Saints' and St Peter's parishes, but in practice the game was a free-for-all with as many as 1,000 players. A Frenchman who observed the match in 1829 wrote in horror, 'if Englishmen call this play, it would be impossible to say what they call fighting'. The traditional Shrovetide football match is commonplace in the town of Ashbourne, Derbyshire."
Australian rules football
- Banjo Bowl: Winnipeg Blue Bombers vs Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Edmonton Eskimos vs Calgary Stampeders –Battle of Alberta
- Toronto Argonauts vs Hamilton Tiger-Cats - Labour Day Classic
National Hockey League (Canada and USA)
- Greate Derby – Slovan Bratislava vs HC Košice vs Dukla Trencin
- Eastern Derby – HC Košice vs HK Poprad
- Middle Slovakian Derby – HKm Zvolen vs HC 05 Banska Bystrica
- Basque Derby – Bayonne vs Biarritz
- The "French Derby" or "Le derby des Stades" – Toulouse vs Stade Français
- Paris Derby – Stade Français vs Racing Métro
- Leinster Rugby vs Munster Rugby
- Ulster Rugby vs Leinster Rugby
- The Colours Match A rugby union match between University College Dublin and Dublin University
- Jukskei Derby - Golden Lions vs. Blue Bulls. This Currie Cup rivalry extends into Super Rugby, as the two competing sides form the core of the Lions and Bulls.
- Pomeranian-Kuyavian Derby (pol. Derby Pomorza i Kujaw) – Polonia Bydgoszcz vs KS Toruń
- Lubusz Derby (pol. Derby Ziemi Lubuskiej) – Stal Gorzów vs ZKŻ Zielona Góra
- South Derby - Unia Tarnów vs Stal Rzeszów
- "A brief Yotube history of Zalgiris Kaunas Vs. Lietuvos Rytas". BallinEurope.com. 22 April 2010. Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- "Biarritz v Bayonne the weekend Top 14 highlight". Rugby Week. 28 February 2013. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- "The crimson meets the blue: 5 moments from the Munster-Leinster rivalry". TheJournal.ie. 31 March 2012. Retrieved 12 April 2012.