||The examples and perspective in this article deal primarily with the United States and do not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (September 2011)|
The terms local programme, local programming, local content or local television refers to a television program made by a television station or independent television producer for broadcast only within the station's transmission area or television market. Local programmes can encompass the whole range of programme genres but will usually only cover subjects or people of particular interest to an audience within the station’s coverage area.
For example, a local sports programme will present results, interviews and coverage of games or matches, just like a network sports programme, but it would only feature teams and players from within the broadcaster's transmission area.
In some cases a television network programme may include a local element as well. This is particularly the case in the United Kingdom and still happens today with The Politics Show. The BBC regions will all opt-out at the same time from the main programme to present a locally produced segment.
Sometimes locally made programmes that are not too specific to the transmission area, will be sold to other local stations for broadcast in their region.
Historically there was a large percentage of local programming on television. Late in the 20th century this has significantly fallen. In many cases the only local programmes on a television station today will be the local newscast.
The term is also generally accepted to refer to television programming that is not produced by a broadcast or other media source for national or international distribution (broadcast syndication). Usually programming of local interest is produced by either a Public, educational, and government access (PEG) television organization, cable TV operator or broadcast network affiliate stations that offer local radio news and television news.
List of local programs in the United States
This list is incomplete. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it
- The Aaron Harber Show (Colorado)
- Alt.news 26:46 (Illinois)
- American Black Journal (Michigan) (WTVS Detroit)
- Bandwagon (Minnesota)
- Bay State (Massachusetts) (Boston University TV)
- Basic Black (Massachusetts) on WGBH
- Big Ten Ticket (Michigan) (WXYZ-TV Detroit)
- The Biscuit Brothers (Texas) on PBS member stations
- Bob's Big Adventures (Rhode Island)
- Cannabis Planet (California) (Los Angeles/San Francisco)
- Cash Explosion (Ohio)
- Chic-a-Go-Go (Illinois)
- Colorado Inside Out (KBDI Broomfield, Colorado)
- Colorado State of Mind (KRMA Denver, Colorado)
- Cool Clown Ground (Illinois)
- First Forecast Mornings ([Michigan) WKBD/WWJ-TV Detroit
- Good Day LA (California) KTTV Los Angeles
- Hawaii News Now (Hawaii)
- High-Five Challenge (Oregon) Oregon Public Broadcasting
- Horizon KAET Phoenix
- Horizonte (Arizona) KAET Phoenix
- In Focus: Sisikyou Magazine (California) (Los Angeles)
- The It's Alive Show WBGN-CD (Pittsburgh)
- Ivory Tower (Massachusetts)
- Jackson Horn (Washington)
- Like It Is (New York) WABC
- Midnight Monster Hop (Pennsylvania)
- Music and the Spoken Word (Utah) (also airs episodes on BYU TV
- Nate on Drums (Minnesota)
- NewsEdge at 11 (Tampa, Florida)
- The Open Mind (New York)
- Oregon Field Guide (Oregon) Oregon Public Broadcasting
- Phantom Gourmet (Massachusetts/Rhode Island)
- Prairie Fire (Indiana)
- Rox (Indiana)
- Scrambled Squares (North Carolina)
- A Star Spangled Salute (Pennsylvania) WPXI Philadelphia
- Svengoolie (Illinois)
- Texas Country Reporter (Texas), also airs episodes on RFD-TV
- Texas Monthly Talks (Texas)
- Valley News Live (North Dakota)
- Zappolo's People (Colorado)
Many local television stations in the United Kingdom ceased broadcasting due to a lack of viability, but some stations are still being broadcast.
List of local television stations currently broadcasting in the United Kingdom
- Regional Variations
- Local Children's Television (US)
- Regional television in Australia
- Local television in the United Kingdom
- Local television in Greece
- Local origination
- Foster, Robin (November 2004). "What Future for Regional TV?". Ofcom. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- McLaughlin, Paul (November 2004). "We must save regional TV". Campaign for Press & Broadcasting Freedom. Retrieved 2007-06-12.[dead link]
- "Ofcom slashes ITV local programming". National Union of Journalists. February 2005. Archived from the original on 2007-06-08. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- Hopkins, Stephen (March 2006). "Regional TV – a spent force?". Transdiffusion. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- Palmer, Danny (June 2003). "Regional TV – Déjà vu Down Under". Transdiffusion. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- Kedgley, Sue (May 2007). "NZ made programmes lowest since Charter introduced". Green Party of New Zealand. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- Project for Excellence in Journalism (2004). "State of the US local news media". Journalism.org. Archived from the original on 2007-09-26. Retrieved 2007-06-12.