||It has been suggested that Spatial intelligence (business method) be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since April 2012.|
Location Intelligence is the capacity to organize and understand complex phenomena through the use of geographic relationships inherent in all information. By combining geographic- and location-related data with other business data, organizations can gain critical insights, make better decisions and optimize important processes and applications. Location Intelligence offers organizations opportunities to streamline their business processes and customer relationships to improve performance and results.
Location Intelligence tools leverage a variety of data sources including aerial maps, geographic information systems (GIS), consumer demographics as well as a user’s own customer records. Popularized by business to consumer (B2C) applications, location Intelligence is experiencing rapid acceptance as there is confirmation that the value of location intelligence may be regulated by established laws and ethics depending on the specific geographic entities and scale under which they are scrutinized. Platform integration is another factor contributing to the growth, as companies can now integrate Location Intelligence directly into business operations.
The term Location Intelligence is often used to describe tools and data employed to geographically “map” information. These mapping applications can transform large amounts of data into color-coded visual representations that make it easy to see trends and generate meaningful intelligence. The creation of location intelligence is directed by domain knowledge, formal frameworks, and a focus on decision support.
Today, Location Intelligence is used by a broad range of industries to improve overall business results. Applications include:
- Communications & Telecommunications: Network planning and design, boundary identification, identifying new customer markets.
- Financial Services: Optimize branch locations, market analysis, share of wallet and cross-sell activities, mergers & acquisitions, industry sector analysis, risk management.
- Government: Census updates, law enforcement crime analysis, emergency response, environmental and land management, electoral redistricting, tax jurisdiction assignment, urban planning.
- Healthcare: Site selection, market segmentation, network analysis, growth assessments.
- Higher Education: Student Recruitment, Alumni & Donor Tracking, Campus Mapping.
- Hotels & Restaurants: Customer profile analysis, site selection, target marketing, expansion planning.
- Insurance: Address validation, underwriting and risk management, claims management, marketing and sales analysis, market penetration studies.
- Media: Target market identification, subscriber demographics, media planning.
- Real Estate: Site reports, comprehensive site analysis, retail modeling, presentation quality maps.
- Retail: Site selection, maximize per-store sales, identify under-performing stores, market analysis.
- Transportation: Transport planning, route monitoring.
- K-12 : School Site Selection, enrollment planning, school attendance area modification (boundary change), school consolidation, district consolidation, student achievement plotting.