Lock On (street art)
Lock On is a genre of street art, where artists create installations by attaching sculptures to public furniture using lengths of chain and old bike locks. The installations themselves are referred to as "a Lock On" (singular) or "Lock Ons" (plural).
Lock On artists
Artist TEJN is considered the "founder" of the Lock On style.  Taking scrap metal from urban areas, TEJN welds and shapes the iron into figurative sculptures  which he "returns to the street" as site-specific art  secured with chain or an old bike lock. The genre was introduced when he started placing welded iron sculptures, chained and locked, throughout Copenhagen and Berlin.
Lock On street sculptures can be made from various materials like wood, plastic, clay, concrete, iron, styrofoam or polystyrene. Typically a part of the concept is to re-use found materials. In some cases the materials are released in the same neighborhood where it was originally collected, now upcycled into sculptures, following the thought of improving cityscape by the use of materials that used to impair the very same area.
The locks used when mounting street sculptures are, in some cases, dismounted from broken bikes, found nearby.
The peace organisation Pink Army places pink war toys in selected urban areas as part of their "war against war".
- TEJN Lock On street art sculptures
- Guerrilla marketing
- List of street artists
- Public art
- Reclaim the Streets
- Street art in Melbourne
- Street art
- Street installation
- Street poster art
- Wooster Collective
- "Lock On street sculptures".
- "Brandts museum of art, artist description (in English)".
- Ring, Katrine (2011). Walk This Way (in danish and english). Radius (forlag). pp. 29, 50, 54, 64, 66–70. ISBN 9788792334220.
- "Lock On street art".
- "Collection of media about the Lock On genre".
- "Italian art page, article about the Lock On style (in italian)".
- "Description of Tejns sculptures, in english".
- "short lock On movie".
- "Lock On´s in Brooklyn Street Art".
- "Brooklyn Street Art: Lock On".
- "Classic Copenhagen; Lock On".
- "artist articles".
- "Pink Army".
- "The Horse Project".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tejn.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to street art.|