Lockington, East Riding of Yorkshire
Lockington shown within the East Riding of Yorkshire
|Population||524 (2011 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|– London||165 mi (266 km) S|
|Unitary authority||East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Ceremonial county||East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|UK Parliament||Beverley and Holderness|
The civil parish is formed by the villages of Lockington and Aike and the hamlet of Thorpe. According to the 2011 UK census the population of Lockington parish was 524, a decrease on the 2001 UK census figure of 542. There were 247 separate households.
The A164 road and the Yorkshire Coast railway line from Hull to Scarborough both pass through the parish. Until 13 June 1960 Lockington railway station operated on the line. The level crossing adjacent to the station was the scene of a fatal accident on 26 July 1986.
In 1823 Lockington was in the civil parish of Lockington and of Kilnwick, in the Wapentake of Harthill. A National School existed in the village. Population was 491, with occupations including thirteen farmers, two carpenters, two shoemakers, a blacksmith, a tailor, a bricklayer, a corn miller, and the landlord of The Buck public house. Residents included the parish clerk, a schoolmaster, and a gentleman. A carrier operated between the village and Hull and Beverley once a week.
- "Key Figures for 2011 Census: Key Statistics: Area: Lockington CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "2001 Census: Key Statistics: Parish Headcounts: Area: Lockington CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 17 May 2008.
- English Heritage. "Church of St Mary (1310465)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- "Report on the Derailment that occurred on 26th July 1986 at Lockington Level Crossing in the Eastern Region British Railways". Department of Transport. The Railways Archive. 21 August 1987. Retrieved 17 October 2007.
- Baines, Edward (1823): History, Directory and Gazetteer of the County of York, pp. 363, 364
- Gazetteer — A–Z of Towns Villages and Hamlets. East Riding of Yorkshire Council. 2006. p. 8.
- Media related to Lockington at Wikimedia Commons
- English Heritage. "St Mary's Church (164513)". Images of England.
- Village website
- Lockington in the Domesday Book