Location of Lockney, Texas
|• Total||1.6 sq mi (4.0 km2)|
|• Land||1.6 sq mi (4.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||3,278 ft (999 m)|
|• Density||1,326.3/sq mi (512.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1361603|
Lockney is located at (34.122961, -101.443414).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.5 square miles (3.9 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,056 people, 690 households, and 540 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,326.3 people per square mile (512.1/km²). There were 791 housing units at an average density of 510.3 per square mile (197.0/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 72.62% White, 2.53% African American, 0.24% Native American, 0.15% Asian, 0.10% Pacific Islander, 22.81% from other races, and 1.56% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 51.90% of the population.
There were 690 households out of which 44.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.2% were married couples living together, 8.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.7% were non-families. 20.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.92 and the average family size was 3.40.
In the town the population was spread out with 33.5% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 24.6% from 25 to 44, 18.5% from 45 to 64, and 15.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 89.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.2 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $29,074, and the median income for a family was $35,469. Males had a median income of $25,673 versus $18,063 for females. The per capita income for the town was $13,528. About 14.5% of families and 17.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.8% of those under age 18 and 17.0% of those age 65 or over.
The Town of Lockney is served by the Lockney Independent School District.
- 2002 - Larry v. Lockney. Directed by Mark Birnbaum and Jim Schermbeck.
- Louie Welch, mayor of Houston, Texas, from 1964 to 1973, was born in Lockney in 1918.
- Maurice Ewing, a geophysicist and oceanographer, was born in Lockney in 1906.
- Garry Templeton, Major League Baseball player was born in Lockney.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Lockney, Texas