From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up locus in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
The word locus (plural loci) is Latin for "place". It can mean:
- Locus of control, in industrial psychology, having an internal or external locus of control
- Locus (genetics), the position of a gene (or other significant sequence) on a chromosome
- Locus (mathematics), the set of points satisfying a particular condition, often forming a curve
- Root locus, a diagram visualizing the position of roots as a parameter changes
- Locus (medicine), the "place" on the body where a pathogen enters
Philosophy, rhetoric, and literary theory
- The method of loci is a mnemonic system based on places.
- A Locus (rhetoric) is another name for a literary or rhetorical topos, a method of constructing an argument.
- Loci Theologici was a term applied by Melanchthon to Evangelical systems of dogmatics.
- Lex Loci (Latin) means "law of the place."
- Loci (band), an alt-rock band from Bristol, United Kingdom
- LOCUS (Level of Care Utilization System), a clinical level of care placement tool for psychiatric and addictions services, developed by the American Association of Community Psychiatrists
- The NBC-USA Network police procedural drama, Law & Order: Criminal Intent (2001–2011) often uses the acronym 'LOCI' because of its long title.
- Locus (magazine), a monthly trade journal devoted to the science fiction and fantasy publishing industry that contains news, sales trends, author biographies, convention coverage, book reviews, and comprehensive lists of upcoming publications and reprints
- Locus Award, presented to the winners of Locus magazine's annual readers' poll
- Locus Trading, a trading and tracking letter that follows billionaires
- Locus Computing Corporation developed the LOCUS clustering operating system, as well as the Merge 8086 virtual machine implementation
- LOCUS (operating system) computer operating system
- Locus (comics), a Marvel Comics Mutant and supervillain
- Locus Plethore, a Canadian supercar
- Locus Technologies, an environmental software company
- Locus (video game), a 1995 video game by Zombie Studios
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.