Loknayak Ganga Path
Lokanayak Ganga Path also Ganga Path is a planned expressway across river Ganga in Patna, Bihar, India. It is expected to complete in 2017. It is jointly developed by HUDCO and Government of Bihar.
It is a 21.5 km long road built between Digha and Deedarganj in Patna at a cost of Rs.2234.46 crores. The second phase extends the road by 18 km to Fatuha.
Ganga Path project which has been in pipeline for many years, dubbed as the Marine Drive of Patna, the Ganga Path or Ganga Expressway will connect Digha to Kacchi Dargah along the river Ganga. The tender for the same is likely to be issued by the second week of May by Bihar State Road Development Corporation and the contract will be finalized by June.
The total cost involved in this mega project is 3,160 crore, having time interval for its completion to be four years. After the private investors failed to appear on the horizon, the State government itself decided to go ahead with the project. The Cabinet has given approval to take loan of 2000 crore from Housing and Urban Development Corporation (HUDCO) and the rest amount of 1,160 crore is to be raised through the State resources. HUDCO has agreed to provide the loan at a floating interest rate of 10.75%, to be returned in 16 years after completion of the project. Out of total budget, a sum of 2,770 crore will be spent on the construction of road and elevation work and 390 crore on land acquisition and utility shifting.
The expressway will ensure a smooth flow of traffic between east to west Patna, and also ease the traffic congestion at Ashok Rajpath. There will be nine points on the expressway connected to Ashok Rajpath. It will be a toll road. The much anticipated project will give breath to the heavily congested roads of east to west Patna. It will not only give a beautiful riverfront but will also give boost to the economic activities of the area.
Features at a glance
- Total length : 23.04 km
- Drive way : 4-Lane, 14 m;km
- Drive way on land : 16 km
- Footpath : 5-foot on either side of drive way
- Connection to bridges: Digha Rail bridge, Mahatma Gandhi Setu, Kacchi Dargah-Vidhupur bridge
- Total cost : 3,106 Crore
- Patna's Marine Drive to ease traffic snarl in 4 years - Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (2013-10-12). Retrieved on 2013-12-06.
- CM to inaugurate work on Ganga Path today - Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (2013-10-11). Retrieved on 2013-12-06.
- Bihar CM Nitish Kumar lays foundation stone of Ganga Expressway : North, News - India Today. Indiatoday.intoday.in (2013-10-12). Retrieved on 2013-12-06.
- Work on Ganga Path to start soon The Times of India Patna 31 Mar 2013
- Work on Ganga Path to start soon BIHAR FOUNDATION 31 March 2013
- [pdf]Clarification of Pre-bid Meeting held on 22.08.2012 for Ganga Path ... bsrdcl.bih.nic.in Sept 01, 2012
- Patna's Ganga Path project to finally take off GO4PATNA.COM 2 April 2013.