London Buses route 205
Scania OmniCity on route 205
|Vehicle||Scania OmniCity 10.8m|
|Peak vehicle requirement||26|
|Night-time||Night Bus N205|
|Length||9 miles (14 km)|
|Frequency||About every 7-12 minutes|
|Journey time||49-87 minutes|
|Operates||04:56 until 01:28|
Route 205 replaced the former SL1 ("StationLink 1") service, which had begun as an accessible route called Carelink for those with disabilities operated by National Bus Company-owned Beeline. This route was withdrawn in 1988, and it became a London Transport contracted route. It was initially operated by London General, but in 1992 the contract was won by Thorpes. For a short period the route continued to be branded as Stationlink.
Route 205 was introduced as part of the planned bus improvements in preparation for the Congestion Charging Zone in 2003. It connects Paddington, Marylebone, Euston, King's Cross and Liverpool Street Mainline stations, as well as many Underground stations following the northern part of the Circle Line. A route 705, linking stations on the southern section of the Circle Line, was also created but later withdrawn. The contract to operate the new route was won by Metroline.
It was extended from Whitechapel to Mile End Station on 16 June 2007, and was converted into 24-hour service at the same time. Seven new Scania N230UD's arrived in summer 2007 to increase the frequency of the route.
On 29 August 2009, East London commenced operating route 205. At the same time the route was extended further east, from Mile End to Bow Church. The contract required 25 new buses.
On 31 August 2013, the night service on this 24 hour route was withdrawn and replaced by night bus route N205, the night service being extended to Leyton, Drapers Field via Stratford as part of the Stratford development scheme.
- Paddington Cleveland Terrace
- Paddington Station
- Edgware Road Station
- Marylebone Station
- Baker Street Station
- Regent's Park Station
- Great Portland Street Station
- Warren Street Station
- Euston Square Station
- Euston Station Bus Station
- St Pancras Station
- Kings Cross Station
- Angel Station
- Old Street Station
- Liverpool Street Station Bus Station
- Aldgate Station
- Aldgate East Station
- Whitechapel Station
- Stepney Green Station
- Mile End Station
- Bow Road Station
- Bow Church Station
Alexander ALX400 on route 205
- McLachlan, Tom (1995). London Buses 1985-1995: Managing The Change. Venture Publications. p. 106. ISBN 1-898432-74-0.
- Brown, Stewart J (September 1993). Buses in Britain. Capital Transport. p. 159. ISBN 1-85414-158-9.
- London transport - London - TFA - Tourism For All
- Aldridge, John (January 2009). "East London sweeps the board with latest contract awards". Buses (Ian Allan Publishing) (646): 22.
- Passengers to benefit from a bus route extension to Mile End Station | Transport for London
- London Bus Routes - 205 timetable