London Buses route 453
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009)|
|Garage||Mandela Way (MW)|
|Start||Deptford Bridge station|
Elephant & Castle
|Length||8 miles (13 km)|
Route 453 commenced operating on 15 March 2003 as part of a reorganisation of routes in preparation for the introduction of the London congestion charge. Operating between Deptford and Marylebone stations, it parallels route 53 as far as Whitehall. It was initially operated by Stagecoach London's Plumstead garage with Mercedes-Benz O530G articulated buses. Night bus N453 was introduced at the same time.
Route 453 originally started from the first busy single stop on route 53, at Deptford, outside Addey and Stanhope School, then duplicated the 53 via New Cross, New Cross Gate, Old Kent Road, Bricklayers Arms, Elephant & Castle, St George's Circus, Westminster, to Whitehall, then Regent Street, Oxford Street, Great Portland Street, Regent's Park and to Marylebone station. The section north of Oxford Circus was a new service designed to create a new south–west link at Regent's Park station.
The planned terminus at Deptford's Seager development (by Deptford Bridge station) was delayed for three years. As there was nowhere else suitable to turn the buses round, buses ran empty all the way to and from Lewisham to turn round and stand. Selkent proposed to extend the service to Catford garage, where the route would have been based, but buses are now able to turn around at Deptford.
From 15 January 2005, the Monday to Friday frequency was reduced from every 6 minutes to every 8 minutes, although there are a couple of extra peak-hour journeys. This was mainly to free up five O530G buses for use on route 25.
- Deptford Bridge station
- New Cross station
- New Cross Gate station
- Bricklayers Arms
- Elephant & Castle station
- Lambeth North station
- Westminster station
- Trafalgar Square for Charing Cross station
- Piccadilly Circus station
- Oxford Circus station
- Great Portland street station
- Baker Street station
- Marylebone station
- Aldridge, John (May 2003). "Hendy's bendies reach Deptford". Buses (Ian Allan Publishing) (578): 13.
- "Route 453/N453 - award announced 01 June 2007". Transport for London. 1 June 2007. Retrieved 5 June 2014.
- Next set of bendy buses to leave London Transport for London 28 August 2009
- New bus tenders Route 453/N453 Transport for London 4 March 2011
- New Routemaster buses on route 453 Transport for London 2 October 2014