London Buses route 97
West Ham (WH)
|Vehicle||Dennis Trident 2 / Alexander ALX400|
|End||Stratford City bus station|
|Length||11 miles (18 km)|
Route 97 commenced operating on 31 October 1981 between Chingford station and Leyton via Chingford Mount, Walthamstow and Baker's Arms replacing part of route 69. It was withdrawn on 6 June 1987, but reintroduced on 19 November 1988.
It was operated by London Forest until 1991, when that company was wound up. The route passed to Capital Citybus on 23 November 1991. Route 97 was included in the July 1998 sale of Capital Citybus to First London.
Upon being re-tendered, it was retained by First London with a new contract commencing on 26 February 2000. When next tendered, it passed to Stagecoach London's Leyton garage with a new contract commencing on 5 March 2005. Stagecoach London commenced a further contract on 6 March 2010.
On 10 September 2011, route 97 was extended from Leyton to Stratford City bus station to coincide with the opening of Westfield Stratford City. On 31 August 2013, the route was diverted to serve the new residential precinct around the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
Route 97 operates via these primary locations:
- Chingford station
- Chingford Mount
- Walthamstow Central station
- Baker's Arms
- Leyton Midland Road station
- Leyton station
- Stratford International station
- Stratford City bus station for Stratford station
- McLachlan, Tom (1995). London Buses 1985-1995: Managing The Change. Venture Publications. p. 33.
- Waterhouse, R J (December 1991). "Londoner's Omnibus - Walthamstow latest". Buses 43 (441): 547.
- Tendered Bus Services Select Committee on Environment, Transport and Regional Affairs March 1999
- Annual Report Year Ended 31 March 1999 FirstGroup
- Bus tender results Transport for London 13 July 2004
- Bus tender results Transport for London 14 September 2009
- Going to Westfield Stratford City Transport for London 12 September 2011
- Have your say on on proposals for bus services to serve the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park Transport for London August 2013
- Route 97 Map Transport for London