London Buses route 9 (Heritage)
|Garage||Westbourne Park (X)|
|Peak vehicle requirement||5|
|Night-time||Night Bus N9|
|Via||Hyde Park Corner|
|Length||3 miles (5km)|
|Frequency||About every 20 minutes|
|Journey time||25–29 minutes|
|Operates||9:30 am until 7:00 pm|
|London Transport portal|
To counter unfavourable media coverage of the withdrawal of London's classic Routemaster fleet, Mayor of London Ken Livingstone promised to introduce a "heritage" Routemaster operation. After hopes that this would be operated commercially, it eventually materialised as tendered short workings on two existing routes, one of which is the 9. This approach ensured that passengers in wheelchairs or with other mobility problems would have alternatives to the Routemaster buses.
The contracts for the routes were announced in September 2005 and routes began operation on 14 November 2005—not the usual Saturday start date, so as to keep clear of the Remembrance Sunday parades.
On 13 November 2010, route 9H was extended from the Royal Albert Hall to Kensington High Street and curtailed to Trafalgar Square (instead of running from Aldwych). The extension was at the urging of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, which wanted to boost the number of visitors to the High Street.
Following the acquisition of First Centrewest's operations in Westbourne Park by Tower Transit, operation of route 9H will be transferred to Tower Transit from 29 June 2013. 
Current route 
- Kensington High Street Addison Road
- High Street Kensington Station
- Royal Albert Hall
- Knightsbridge Station
- Hyde Park Corner Station
- Green Park Station
- Pall Mall
- Trafalgar Square
See also 
- London Buses route 9
- London Buses route N9
- London Buses route 15 (Heritage)
- List of bus routes in London
- First Centrewest
- "Bus tender results". Transport for London. 14 May 2010. Retrieved 5 January 2011.
- "Heritage routes for Routemaster". BBC. 9 September 2005. Retrieved 4 July 2007.
- "Heritage route contracts awarded". Transport for London. Retrieved 5 January 2011.
- "All aboard as Routemaster returns to Kensington High Street". Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. 16 November 2010. Retrieved 5 January 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: London Buses route 9 (Heritage)|
- Transport For London
- London Bus Routes
- London Bus Routes Zenfolio
- Full Timetable (pdf)
- Enthusiast Page with vehicle list