London Buses route 9 (Heritage)
|Garage||Westbourne Park (X)|
|Peak vehicle requirement||5|
|Night-time||Night Bus N9|
|Start||Kensington High Street|
|Via||Hyde Park Corner|
|Length||3 miles (4.8 km)|
|Journey time||25–29 minutes|
|Operates||09:30 until 19:00|
London Buses route 9 (Heritage) is a Transport for London contracted bus route in London, England. Running between Kensington High Street and Trafalgar Square, it is operated by Tower Transit. It will cease operating on 25 July 2014.
To counter unfavourable media coverage of the withdrawal of London's classic AEC Routemaster fleet, Mayor of London Ken Livingstone promised to introduce a "heritage" Routemaster operation. After hopes that this would be operated commercially, it eventually materialised as tendered short workings on two existing routes, one of which is route 9H. The route was initially operated by First London from Aldwych to the Royal Albert Hall, duplicating the eastern half of route 9.
This approach ensured passengers with other mobility problems would have alternatives to the Routemasters. and routes began operation on 14 November 2005—not the usual Saturday start date, so as to keep clear of the Remembrance Sunday parades. The Routemasters selected had been rebuilt in the early 2000s by Marshall Bus with new engines, windows and lighting.
On 13 November 2010, route 9H was extended westward from the Royal Albert Hall to Kensington High Street and curtailed at its eastern end to Trafalgar Square. The extension was at the urging of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, which wanted to boost the number of visitors to the High Street.
- Kensington High Street Holland Road
- High Street Kensington station
- Royal Albert Hall
- Knightsbridge staton
- Hyde Park Corner station
- Green Park station
- Pall Mall
- Trafalgar Square
- "Bus tender results". Transport for London. 14 May 2010. Retrieved 5 January 2011.
- "Heritage routes for Routemaster". BBC. 9 September 2005. Retrieved 4 July 2007.
- "Heritage route contracts awarded". Transport for London. Retrieved 5 January 2011.
- "All aboard as Routemaster returns to Kensington High Street". Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. 16 November 2010. Retrieved 5 January 2011.
- FirstGroup Announces Sale of Eight London Bus Depots FirstGroup 9 April 2013
- Tower Transit announces First Group partial acquisition Transit Systems 9 April 2013
- Date set for Aussie takeover of London bus routes Australasian Bus & Coach 14 June 2013
- Bus service proposal: Route 9 Transport for London
Media related to London Buses route 9 (Heritage) at Wikimedia Commons