London Eye Pier
|London Eye Pier|
|London River Services|
|Locale||River Thames, London, UK|
|Transit type||River bus and tourist/leisure services|
|Owner||London River Services|
|Other operators and services|
|London Transport portal|
It is served by various river transport and cruise operators in conjunction with London River Services.
It should not be confused with the former Waterloo Police Pier, on the opposite side of the river on Victoria Embankment next to Waterloo Bridge, which has since been renamed the Tower Lifeboat Station and has been the base for the RNLI's Thames lifeboat service since 2006.
It was one of five new piers opened in 2000 on the Thames funded by the Millennium Commission as part of the Thames 2000 project (the others being Blackfriars Millennium Pier, Millbank Millennium Pier, Tower Millennium Pier, and Westminster Millennium Pier), as part of an integrated transport and regeneration strategy for the Thames led by London's Cross River Partnership.
The pier is served by various services including:
- The Tate to Tate service linking the two Tate Galleries (Thames Clipper)
- Commuter boat services between Embankment and Woolwich (Thames Clipper)
- Summer leisure cruises between Westminster and Greenwich (City Cruises)
Waterloo is a turnaround point for the commuter boat; upriver services call at Embankment, then Waterloo, where they begin the downriver service back towards Bankside.
- London Underground
- Waterloo tube station for Waterloo & City, Bakerloo, Jubilee and Northern lines
- Embankment tube station is a short walk over the Golden Jubilee Bridges
- Westminster tube station is a short walk over Westminster Bridge
- National Rail
- London Waterloo station and London Waterloo East station for National Rail
- Charing Cross railway station (also over the Hungerford Bridge)
- London River Services
- Festival Pier is a short distance downriver on the same bank
- Westminster Millennium Pier (also over Westminster Bridge)
- London Buses
Buses stopping on Westminster Bridge are the nearest services.
- London Eye
- London Aquarium
- Dali Universe
- Florence Nightingale Museum
- Big Ben
- South Bank arts precinct
|Preceding station||London River Services||Following station|
toward Woolwich Arsenal Pier
|Tate to Tate||
|Westminster to Greenwich Express Service||
toward Greenwich Pier
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to London Eye Pier.|
- "Tower Lifeboat Station website". 2006-05-08. Archived from the original on 2008-01-23. Retrieved 2007-11-13.
- Beckett Rankine – London Eye Pier Design
- "Ken Livingstone Opens New Millennium Commission Funded Pier". The Millennium Commission press release. 2000-07-13. Retrieved 2008-03-30.
|This article about transport in London is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|