Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine
|Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine|
|University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust|
|Location||London, United Kingdom|
|Affiliated university||University College London|
|Website||University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust|
The Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine (formerly the Royal London Homoeopathic Hospital) is a specialist complementary medicine hospital located in London, United Kingdom and a part of University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. It is the largest public sector provider of complementary medicine in Europe.
The Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine offers clinical services including complementary cancer treatments, allergy services, acupuncture, homeopathy, rheumatology, weight loss management, sleep management, musculoskeletal medicine and stress management, and has access to conventional medicine. It has an education department which offers full and part-time courses in complementary medicine for registered health professionals. It is also home to a specialist library for complementary and alternative medicine.
The London Homoeopathic Hospital was established in Golden Square, Soho, in 1849. Frederic Hervey Foster Quin, the first homeopathic physician in England, had been instrumental in the founding of the hospital. It moved to its present site in Great Ormond Street in 1859, the year when Quin took the chair of therapeutics and materia medica in the medical school. In 1948 the hospital joined the NHS as a teaching hospital and became the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital by permission of George VI. In 1982 the hospital was brought under the management of the Bloomsbury Health Authority and in 2002 it joined University College London Hospitals NHS Trust (now University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust). The hospital was renamed the Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine in September 2010 to better reflect its activities.
The following clinical services are currently provided at the hospital:
- Adult allergy
- Autogenic training
- Children’s health
- Complementary cancer care
- General medicine
- Group acupuncture
- Herbal medicine
- Homeopathic Medicine
- Podiatry and chiropody
- Medical hypnosis
- Stress and mood disorder
- Women’s health
The hospital operates on an outpatients clinic basis but has access to inpatient services.
- "Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine guide". University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- "Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine". University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- "UCLH trust chronology". University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- Boase, George Clement (1896). "Quin, Frederic Hervey Foster". In Lee, Sidney. Dictionary of National Biography 47. London: Smith, Elder & Co. "hiefly through his exertions the London Homeopathic Hospital was founded in 1850[!]"
- "Hospital drops 'homeopathy' title". The Press Association. 16 September 2010. Retrieved 17 September 2010.