London International Youth Science Forum
The London International Youth Science Forum (LIYSF) is a science enrichment programme for students from all over the globe. The Science Forum each year brings together some 350 students of the sciences, from almost 60 countries in the 5 continents.
About the Forum
Founded in 1959, LIYSF aims to give a deeper insight into science and its applications for the benefit of all mankind and to develop a greater understanding between young people of all nations.
LIYSF offers a unique opportunity to participate in an international event, attracting science students from around the world. The modern world continues to present new challenges and advances in scientific understanding continue. The forum asks its attendees - the thinkers of today - how science will move forward in the future and which new questions should be asked in that process.
Participants join in a programme of
- Lectures and demonstrations by leading scientists
- Seminars, debates and discussions on scientific topics of world concern
- Visits to industrial sites and research facilities, such as the National Physical Laboratory, UK
- Visits to sites of academic interest in London, Oxford and Cambridge
- Visits to the Science Museum and the Natural History Museum
- Social activities, including discos, inter-hall competitions, a light-hearted International Cabaret and a 'Songs of Home' evening.
- Optional sightseeing tours of London, Stonehenge and Salisbury, Windsor and Hampton Court Palace
- Optional visits to some of the best shows in London theatres.
Accommodation is in Imperial College London Halls of Residence. Meals are provided throughout the LIYSF.
For two weeks the participants, living together as an international community, exchange their ideas and experiences of the world to fulfill the aim of the Science Forum: to give a greater insight into science and its application for the benefit of all mankind.
The Forum celebrated its 50th Anniversary in 2009, in its new location at Imperial College London.
The Science Forum has been running since 1959.
The last edition took place 24 July - 7 August 2013.
LIYSF 2014 will take place 23 July - 6 August 2014.
More information please see www.liysf.org.uk
- National Youth Science Forum (Australia)
|This article about an organisation in England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|