London Springs, Oregon
|Elevation||896 ft (273 m)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|Area code(s)||458 and 541|
|GNIS feature ID||1123364|
London Springs is an unincorporated community in Lane County, Oregon, United States. It lies 11.33 miles (18.23 km) south-southwest of Cottage Grove at an elevation of 896 feet (273 m). London Springs is near the Coast Fork Willamette River, south of Cottage Grove Lake.
The unincorporated community of London is less than a mile from London Springs. London post office ran from 1902 until 1919. The office was formerly named "Amos" and was located two miles south of London, on a tributary of the Coast Fork Willamette River. Amos post office was founded in 1898 and ran until its move to London. It was named for John Amos Sutherland, son of postmaster John Sutherland. Levi Geer developed a mineral spring here, and it is unknown why he named the place "London", but when the post office moved to the community, it was renamed after the new location. Geer and Sutherland operated a general store in which the post office was located for a time.
This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, London Springs has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated "Csb" on climate maps.
- "London Springs". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. November 28, 1980. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- "London". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. April 1, 1993. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- McArthur, Lewis A.; McArthur, Lewis L. (2003) [First published 1928]. Oregon Geographic Names (7th ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. p. 22. ISBN 9780875952772. OCLC 53075956.
- "Amos (historical)". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. May 22, 1986. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- "City of Cottage Grove Emergency Operations Plan" (PDF). City of Cottage Grove. November 2003. p. 4. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- Territorial Seed Company: About Us
- Climate Summary for London Springs, Oregon
- Historic image of Mineral Springs Hotel at London Springs from Salem Public Library
- Historic images of London Springs from Central Washington University Brooks Library
|This Lane County, Oregon state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|