ITV News London
|ITV News London|
|Presented by||Nina Hossain|
|Country of origin||England|
Grays Inn Road, London, England
|Running time||30 minutes
(main 18:00 show)
|Production company(s)||LNN (1993–2004);
|Original channel||ITV London|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV 16:9)|
|Original run||1993– present|
|Preceded by||Thames News
|Related shows||ITV News,
BBC London News
The programme launched on Monday 4 January 1993 as London Tonight, after Carlton Television won the London weekday franchise from previous holder Thames Television. London Tonight was originally produced by London News Network – a joint venture between Carlton and LWT designed to provide a sole ITV regional news service for the London area, broadcasting seven days a week. Its creation established a continuity between the once separate services and presentation of weekend and weekday news, weather and sport in the region, previously provided by Thames News and LWT News.
The flagship programme, initially an hour long and presented by Alastair Stewart and Fiona Foster, was supplemented by shorter London Today bulletins, launched on New Year's Day 1993 (LWT discontinued its own local news service over the weekend). The main evening programme was reduced to 30 minutes a year later, while from 25 November 1996 to September 2001, a half-hour lunchtime edition of London Today was broadcast on weekdays.
In addition to regional news, London News Network also produced a wide range of regional programming for both Carlton and LWT as well as providing transmission services for both stations.
In 2004, ITV London owners Carlton and Granada merged, forming ITV plc with LNN being dissolved soon after. Production for all ITV London News programming remained at The London Studios (formerly known as the LWT South Bank Centre) until 29 February 2004, when it was taken over by the national Channel 3 news provider ITN and moved to their headquarters in Central London, making the region the only operation not to produce its own news programmes in-house. Around 40 jobs were lost with the closure of LNN, although the programme retained its own editorial team. London Tonight was unaffected by the ITV regional news cuts in February 2009. On 4 July 2012, ITV News editor Deborah Turness informed London Tonight employees a third of staff would be made redundant, with ITV News and London Tonight both sharing newsgathering and studios from 1 October 2012. On Monday 14 January 2013, the service was relaunched and renamed as ITV News London.
ITV News London airs on ITV London seven days a week.
On weekdays, three short bulletins are broadcast during Daybreak at 6:07am, 7:07am and 8:07am with a three-minute lunchtime update at 1:55pm, following the ITV News at 1:30. The main half-hour programme airs at 6pm with a 7-minute late bulletin at 10:30pm, following the ITV News at Ten.
At weekends, two 5-minute editions of ITV News London are broadcast – one later on Saturday afternoons and another on Sunday evenings.
Current on air team
|Nina Hossain||Main presenter||ITV News at 1:30 newscaster|
|Charlene White||Relief presenter/newsreader||ITV News weekend newscaster|
|Amanda Houston||Weather presenter|
|Manali Lukha||Freelance contract|
|Martin Stew||Features Correspondent|
|James Wright||Freelance contract|
|Faye Barker||News Correspondent||Newsreader|
|Alexandra Hill||Newsreader; freelance contract|
|Piers Hopkirk||Freelance contract|
|Sangeeta Kandola||Newsreader; freelance contract|
|Nick Thatcher||Freelance contract|
|Simon Harris||Political Correspondent|
|Lucrezia Millarini||Arts Correspondent||Relief presenter/newsreader|
|Ronke Phillips||Senior Correspondent|
Former on air team
|Main presenters history|
|Years||Presenter #1||Presenter #2||Programme|
||Fiona Foster||Alastair Stewart||London Tonight|
||Anna Maria Ashe|
||London Tonight (2010–2013),
ITV News London (2013–)
- Jobs go in ITV London news shake-up | Media | MediaGuardian
- Seventeen regions into nine: How the updated ITV local news services will run The Guardian, 16 February 2009
- ITN to axe 15 jobs on ITV London news Jake Kanter, Broadcast Now, 4 July 2012
- ITV launches rebrand on air and online, itv.com, 14 January 2013
- "Nina Hossain to host London Tonight". Mail Online. 2 June 2010. Retrieved 2 November 2010.
- Charlene White Forward Ladies
- Faye Barker Official Website Word Press
- Robinson, James (21 April 2010). "Katie Derham leaving ITN for BBC". The Guardian. Retrieved 21 April 2010.
- London Tonight Showreel, Sam Green YouTube
- Sweney, Mark (2011-08-03). "Natasha Kaplinsky takes ITV news anchor role". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- "Donal Macintyre to be Katie Derham's partner on London Tonight". This is London. 17 March 2010. Retrieved 17 March 2010.
- Donal MacIntyre quits London Tonight The Guardian, 25 August 2010; Retrieved 2 November 2010
- Plunkett, John (19 August 2009). "More Mark Austin on News at Ten". The Guardian. Retrieved 19 July 2009.
BBC Midlands Today
|RTS: Television Journalism
Regional Daily News Magazine
BBC Look North
Frontline Scotland: The Ghost of Piper Alpha
|RTS: Television Journalism
Regional Current Affairs
Spotlight: Life and Death of an IRA Quartermaster